Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geisen
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
    Ahh you are a man of your word and thanks for all the kind words throughout the process. Your oven looks great, what are you doing for a top enclosure?

Jim
    jim, sorry I missed your question earlier. you can see my enclosure coming together on my thread. It will be covered in El dorado stone like the arches next to it.
    Regards
    Greg

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Cecilia.....no I did not come up with this idea. Jcg31 started this thread. I suggest you read through this entire thread if you get the chance. I only contributed to this thread for the first time just a week ago.
    I just threw in an idea of a slight variation of this tool, which I found out later that it had already been tried and successfully used by another member.

Last edited by fxpose; 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

Ok...well, I'm going to read more about them...is this something you invented - is it something that a small brained person like myself can use and understand? Can I purchase it - because I know I could never make it myself!

I hope my remarks are not taken wrong - I am so impressed with how detailed this can get - I start showing people what I'm doing and showing them this website and we can't get off because it's so addicting and interesting...
    The mathematics are big hurdles for me, that's all...so is every first step of the next step...if you know what I mean....

Cecelia

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by cecilB View Post
    Eyeballing is probably what I was thinking about doing - also making a form.
    Hi,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eyeballing, but the tool, like using a form, will help place each brick more accurately than simply eyeballing.

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

It's not that I think it can't work - I am wondering what happens when you don't use it? Will my oven collapse? I will admit it's because once I start thinking about angles and such, I get nervous - I was a lousy geometry student!
    Eyeballing is probably what I was thinking about doing - also making a form.

hmmmm.

Cecelia

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

This is such a simple guiding tool, how can it not work? I most certainly intend to use it on my build.

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

You know, I'm getting so nervous every time I read about someone inventing a tool to put the perfectly cut bricks at exactly the right angles.
    How many of you successful oven builders used these tools?
    What if I don't?

Anyway, I haven't even started on the dome yet - I need to get out of my kitchen and quit cooking and baking so I can work on the oven!

Cecelia

Leave a comment:

• 3G_
    replied

Nice work, these jigs look awsesome. i just bought a castor wheel and a quick clamp to build my jig with. I had a thought, which has probably been covered already, but if i bring the clamp end in 1/8th of an inch for each course this should bring the top of the dome in flatter. I will probably stick to a true half sphere but just an idea.

Leave a comment:

• cuda
    replied

fxpose,
    You are correct in that for a flatter roof, the angle does change slightly with each course. If a hemispherical dome is built, there's no need to change it - the right angle holder is correct. But, in doing an ellipse, I just measured and shimmed for the correct angle and let the holder support the brick in the vertical plane, instead of clamping it tight to the inside of the bracket.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
    fxpose,

Indeed, another builder has used that variation just recently:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...oven-7630.html
    That's fantastic! That's the jig I'll use.

Leave a comment:

• Gromit
    replied

fxpose,

Indeed, another builder has used that variation just recently:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...oven-7630.html

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

You would get two intersecting arcs, and if carried to it's conclusion it would dimple down in the center, not that there's anything wrong with that. A builder recently did a rounded rectangle oven that had a flat on top. I was sceptical, but it seemed to work. Brick ovens are very forgiving of geometry.

A true eliptical indispensable tool would have two pulleys mounted on the lazy susan, and a sprung arm pivoted in the center with a pulley near the top, the three pulleys would be connected by a loop of cord or line. I think just having a thumb screw length adjustable slide on the arm would do the same thing with less work. After all, you only need to adjust it once for each ring.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied
    ceiling height

Afer posting my above response (post #50) regarding ceiling height I came up with an idea on another variation of this ingenious indispensible tool. I drew up a couple of crude pencil sketches which perhaps better illustrates this idea. Perhaps someone has already done this or have come up with this idea, I don't know.
    Obviously, by looking at the sketch, the ceiling will start to level off once you approach the last couple of courses by following this geometry.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by cuda View Post
    The fine range of adjustability (each turn is 1/18") also allows for making a lower, flatter, elliptical dome and eliminates the increase in dome height due to starting above the actual floor brick.
    I can see that, and this might be insignificant, but I think the angle of the brick holder itself needs to be varied each and every time the rod is shortened for each course of bricks. Otherwise, on the courses where adjustments have been made, those courses will come out staggered.
    Last edited by fxpose; 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Originally posted by geisen View Post
    Jim
    I finished with the tool and as promised, passed it with all your accesories to a another WFO Builder here in SD. (Eric Prante - eprante). Also passed him my plywood floor template and both arch supports so he got the complete do it yourself kit. Your tool worked great through out and made for a perfect dome. Thanks again.
    Ahh you are a man of your word and thanks for all the kind words throughout the process. Your oven looks great, what are you doing for a top enclosure?

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X