Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tman1
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

I don't think it'll really matter how close the pivot point is to the hearth. Unless you're an engineer, then it would matter.

With the pivot point slightly higher (or even 3", IMO), it puts the dome midway point up a little, but I can't think it'd hardly be enough to make much visual difference, or functional for that matter. (when you take such a small section of an arc, it's hard to actually see the arc unless very small.) So, if it's raised up 2", and you're dealing with a 36" dome, that's a radius of 18".... if you look at a 4" section of that (18") arc, I bet you'd barely be able to tell it's bent much. Anyways, I might be babbling and incoherent, and wrong for that matter, or totally way off base and you have an incredibly valid reason for wanting that particular version, these are my thoughts. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• marc boulay
    replied

Tman,

i want to make it. i have seen one on this forum that i think is made of stainless steel, the rod has a sort of a pipe insulator (black foam) protecting the threads i dont see other reason why. it also got a steel plate with a bushing as the center that the tool rotates on. i am looking for this perticular one because the radius is very close to the hearth level.

thanks again

marc

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Not sure if you're asking for a link to thread about how to make it, or a link on where to buy such a tool. There is no place that manufactures these, they are all self made. As for a link to how it's made, I think this thread is the best spot to search.
    The other is a sticky in this same forum area.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html

Leave a comment:

• marc boulay
    replied

Hi group,

i am looking for the indispendable tool the one that got a thin plate (shinny one) center on the hearth floor and that has black foam or rubber on the rod.,
    I think it's made of stainlees steel. Can't find it, can anyone provide me a link to it??

Marc

Leave a comment:

• mklingles
    replied

In your link to an earlier post you have a chart you extracted from a cad tool.

I did the math. I have a spreadsheet, but need to clean it up and document it enough to be useful. Hopefully this spring.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Yeah, Unfortunately I couldn't get anything to work that didn't hit the guides or the arbor on the HBFtools saw.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Right, if you cut the brick in half and then do compound cuts you get 5 cuts.

Here's a quick pic what I meant with getting it done in 3 cuts.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

So reading other posts, if you start with cutting a brick in half. Then you could make compound cuts to make the angle and the bevel (using the same bevel method). That is still only 5 cuts, Right?

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Nice pics, but if you make 3 cuts to make the angles, don't you have to make 4 more for the bevel? Could one use your plan and do a 3 cut plan with the bevels?

Mike
    You could, if by bevel you mean he trapezoid shape the bricks will need to make (for tight seam) as they start to angle inwards. Only limiting factor is the blade of the saw/grinder which may prevent you from making steeper angles.

I basically did with a 230mm grinder what jcg31 is talking about in his picture here.

I roughly calculated the bevel angle by getting the circumference for the base of the chain I was mortaring and then figuring out the circumference for the top. When you know how many bricks you use for that chain (probably same amount that you had in previous), you can calculate the rough width for bottom and top edge of each brick .

Hope that makes any sense.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Yup as I mention this is just for the angle cuts, as illustrated in the other links, I had to make the bevel cuts separately because the HFTools Wet saw doesn't facilitate compound cuts like that. I tried building a Jig but couldn't arrive at anything that was less work (and as accurate and that didn't run into the saw guides) than the process I have outlined in the other link here.

Thanks,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Nice pics, but if you make 3 cuts to make the angles, don't you have to make 4 more for the bevel? Could one use your plan and do a 3 cut plan with the bevels?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Thanks RR,

Here are a number of my posts that may help on cutting angles and bevels on bricks. The bevels will change with each course, in my oven the angle was 5-degrees on each course except the final two.

First two important definitions:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22689

Then...
    Many folk start by cutting their bricks in half and then making two cuts on the resultant pieces, a total of five cuts per full brick to get their side angles cut. This link illustrates a guide and an approach to do it in three cuts. (in the illustration if the numbers are backwards it means the brick has been flipped)
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22897

Then...
    A chart of how to determine the slope bevel and angle: The chart can be a bit confusing so a quick explanation: Find the slope of the bricks being place on the course you are working on the x-axis (use a protractor to determine slope the one I used is illustrated in the next link (Setting up the bevel cuts)). Once you know your slope go straight up to the curve on the chart. At the point you hit the curve go left to the y-axis to get the required bevel for that course. The 1-14 currently marked on the chart are the numbers on my oven. They may or may not be the same as yours.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22726

Then...
    Setting up the bevel cuts (using your trusty HFTools saw)
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post23605

Then...
    Creating template for odd cuts
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22607

Sometimes you just use mortar. This link will allow you to look around the oven, you will note over the front arch where I just went with mortar rather than trying to cut a brick.
    OvenCamHiRes

Holler if you have questions.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Royal Ranger f16
    replied

Wow! nice work. I hope mine will turn out that nice. Your Id. tool looks like it works great. What method do you use to get your bricks cut at those angles?

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Send pics!

Leave a comment:

• gpsauer
    replied

Fantastic idea, I changed the base to a rotating castor with the wheel removes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X