Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Actually, You can use an IT to build an oven with those diminsions in some cases. It would take an IT that is19" long. And then, setting the pivot point 1" below the finished floor height. That would mean taking 2 or 3 fire brick out of the center of the oven until the dome was complete. I think JR did something like this to compenate for the difference in his IT. Most pivots have an offset a fraction of an inch one way or the other depending on what the pivot is fashioned from. You would also have to take that offset in to consideration.
    Last edited by Gulf; 09-30-2016, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied
    The IT is used to help build a perfect sphere. If you're using a height of 18, you're not going to be able to use an IT.

Leave a comment:

• kingandenzo
    replied
    Hi master's , if building an oven with width of 38inch wide and a height of 18 what woukd be the actual arm or length of thIT TOOL? hope you could
    help menoit on this. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• justinschw
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Thanks mirrasou - I will keep checking back. If anyone has a used one they would like to pass on fee free to email me at justinschw1(at)gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Keep asking Jim, someone will have one available that they're no longer using. I got mine from someone on here, and passed it along once I was finished.

Leave a comment:

• justinschw
    replied

Hey Jim,

I am new to the forum. I am about to embark on a pizza oven in my back yard and have no skill set constructing anything. I've done the research and the only thing that worries me is the dome. Your tool seems to make the most sense to me. Do you have an indispensable tool I could take off your hands for a price? Thank you.

Justin in South Florida

Leave a comment:

• justinschw
    replied

Hi Jim,

Long time reader, first post.

Any chance you are still able to make one of those tools? Like you were I am making an oven with little to skills. The only thing that intimidates me is the dome (and cutting bricks). No worries if you can't.

Justin

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Really cool modification!

Leave a comment:

• seamad
    replied

As my IT was mounted on a board and the hinge axis was higher again it meant without shortening the IT that the dome would end up higher than the radius by about 50mm ( whether this is of any real concern is conjectural). The problem with just shortening the length of the IT is that you get a lip as the face angle needs to change to keep the brick faces aligned. I also found that with the 1/3 bricks used on the higher courses that my brick bracket was too wide and got in the way, so a solution was found. Had a small offcut of some angle iron I used for the gantry under the oven, and tack welded it on to the brick bracket. Worked a treat and over the last 3-4 courses lowered the dome height back to the radius.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	306543

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

It speaks volumes that this thread was started in 2007 and yet your tool is still so popular! Congrats on a great design!

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Does anyone have an Indispensable Tool they can dispense? I have a gent in need and am no longer able to make these for distribution.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Fiano View Post
    Thanks for the reply so the dome is exactly 1/2 circle from cooking floor to top of ceiling correct?
    That is correct, for a pompeii oven .

Leave a comment:

• Fiano
    replied

Thanks for the reply so the dome is exactly 1/2 circle from cooking floor to top of ceiling correct?

Leave a comment:

• morrishuckeba
    replied

I did one turn on every layer.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

No adjustments are necessary, for a true pomeii ( a perfect half sphere) .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X