Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

You are obviously a much better welder than I am. I spend twice that amount of time grinding down the huge blobs of irregularly placed metal that holds all together.

Best of luck with the build.
    Jim

Comment

Hi Jim

I liked your idea so I constructed a similar version except at the hing end I tack welded a couple of large washers to the base of the hinge and using a hole saw drilled a 2" hole in my cover board for location, the clamp idea is fantastic - it leaves me to spend time on mortar gap while still laying a perfect arc - works a treat

Thanks Jim
      Cheers

Mike

Check out my progress to date
      http://picasaweb.google.com/MumsOven/MyPizzaOven#

Comment

Jim

I just opened the box. Felt like a kid at Christmas.
        You have seriously outdone yourself.
        My wife says you need a patent lawyer ;-)

While you may not want the extra work, you could sell these kits on the Forum. I will maintain the kit and keep it clean.

If you agree, when I am done, I will offer it up on the web site for the next lucky recipient.

The extra time you took to take the pictures and write up the directions is very much appreciated. Pictures are worth 1000 words.

The platform for the final courses.....Brilliant.

You should definitely post the whole series on the Forum......but be ready for a flood of requests ;-)

Now if I could just get the wife to stop filling my weekend with other stuff I could focus on what is really important and get to cutting some bricks.

Regards

Greg
        Greg Geisen
        Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Here's another variation: I'm not a welder so this is all stock hardware, with the exception of the aluminum angle at the end which I drilled and tapped to attach to the threaded rod. The clevis rod end ("yoke") attaches to an eyebolt which is threaded into a nut recessed into the underside of the plywood template. So far, I like the adjustability of it with the threaded rod. The plywood template is in three pieces so I'll be able to slide it out of the oven opening when I'm done. The clevis rod end was about $9.00 from McMaster Carr, the rest is stuff I had laying around, probably could build this for under $20. I am just getting to the point of actually using this tool (I have to admit, as soon as I saw the original post on this tool I just had to have one! Thanks Jim) but I'm pretty sure it will live up to it's "indispensible" reputation.

Doug

Comment

Looks great Doug - Love the no weld approach! And clean too (that won't last long). Good luck with the build.

Jim

Comment

I am starting to work on my dome now. Sure would be interested in getting one of these tools anyone???

Comment

I have also adapted the process of the "Indespensible Tool" I placed a lazy susan turntable on 3/4" plywood with a hinge with all thread with a simpson tie placed on the end. So far I have used it to help with my cuts. I have not started setting my peices yet but I can tell, it is the "Indespensible Tool". Thanks for all the help.

Comment

So, I built one of these tools in the "no weld" fashion, have not used it yet, and then while showing a friend last night he asked an interesting question. My tool uses a right angle bracket for the brick support/guide. Does this guide need to be removed or loosened when moving from one brick to the next? the reason I ask is because it appears that the end of the bracket that points down will catch on the brick as I am trying to reposition the support arm for the next brick. Is this making sense? Maybe the answer will be obvious once stacking has begun.

Comment

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
                    Got this on sale today. It has a hole in the bar and I will use a caster wheel from HD. I will take the wheel off and put a screw throught the hole at the end of the bar. Then screw the base of the caster to my plywood. I will post pic when finished. Hope this works....

Comment

Hey Kelbor,
                      As long as your rod is attached to the back portion of the holder (bpoh) at the center of the brick, and the bpoh is 1 7/8" from the base of a 2.5" thick brick, and you taper the top of the bpoh as illustrated below, it will be snug but it won't disturb the brick once in place when you remove the tool. You shouldn't have to make any adjustments to the tool to do this, that would greatly affect the consistency of results and speed inherent in its use.
                      Jim

Originally posted by Kelbor View Post
                      So, I built one of these tools in the "no weld" fashion, have not used it yet, and then while showing a friend last night he asked an interesting question. My tool uses a right angle bracket for the brick support/guide. Does this guide need to be removed or loosened when moving from one brick to the next? the reason I ask is because it appears that the end of the bracket that points down will catch on the brick as I am trying to reposition the support arm for the next brick. Is this making sense? Maybe the answer will be obvious once stacking has begun.
                      Last edited by jcg31; 05-08-2009, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Jim
                        Tool is working great.
                        Lot's of pictures of of your genius being put in to action on my thread.
                        thanks again.
                        Greg
                        Greg Geisen
                        Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

RES10CUE

I'm trying to figure out how you did the no weld on the angle where it attaches to the long nut so it is flush or is it flush? Is the brick just resting on the head of a bolt? I need to laid down the floor and then I start building the dome and have most of the pieces to build the jig but I'm stuck on that issue.

Mark
                          Last edited by DOC Opa; 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I placed a PVC end cap on the tip of the tool that is what covered the head of the bolt. I had to bevel the end so that I was able to lift the tool out of the way. The long nut is a threaded coupling backed up with a wing nut. This is not a great picture but I hope it helps.

Comment

What's the word? Oh ya, genius.

Thanks a lot.

Mark

Comment

Keep in mind when building the tool that the higher off the floor the pivot point is (hinge, ball joint, lazy susan, whatever) the higher your ceiling is going to be. So on a 42" oven if the pivot is 2.25" from the floor (As I have seen in some instances), the distance between wall at soldier course and center of floor will be 21" but the distance between center-top of ceiling and floor will be 23.25".

Also for best results make certain all components are square to one another and that the pivot aligns with center of brick (see earlier post).

Jim
                                Last edited by jcg31; 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X