Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

Dear Jas and Worb
    Well what a day, 10 dead and still 70 odd not acounted for.... I feel a little lucky at the moment that i'm safe and dry ( well nearly the underside of the place is pretty bloody damp now).
    Well we closed the shop early today on the advice of the centre management the railway was packed as everone was trying to make it home so I closed shop and took my worker home. By the time I got him home and myself home it took 3 hours. I check the neighbours to see they were safe and then did a ring around of the friends all safe as well.
    It seems that the everyone in Brisbane is doing the same as I got heaps of calls as well from everyone...seems there doing the same....Must be the community thing they talk about I recon...
    Hope you guys are safe as well
    God bless us all
    Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Big clean up, and a long while til things are business as usual for Brissie, I reckon. I work at the power station out this way and the worst for me work wise is they only let essential people on site at the moment. So, a few more days at home. Luckily we don't have any major rivers in our area, just a few creeks that have been coming up and giving a bit of localised flooding. Been glued to the teev in disbelief.

I do reckon though that any tv reporter found sticking a camera in someone's face while they're carrying their worldly possessions away from their flooded house and saying 'HOW DO YOU FEEL' should be stuffed in a Hessian sack and used as a sandbag.

jas I'll see if I can find the utube clip and try to post a link.

All the best for the next few days boys.

Comment

Dear Guys
        Families safe and well,Like you I'm very shocked and thankfull that most folk I know are the safe as well. Shops still closed however so thats going to hurt but at least its still there... I think. Its not supossed to flood but till I see it I'll still be worried. Its early times I know theres no use worring about things yet, but still I have one Permenant and two part time trainees to worry about as well.
        Off to town to check the shop

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

hi fellas i spent the day driving around brisbane from sandgate through to mt cootha and Bardon ,Ashgrove etc saw a little bit of flooding under someones house , lots of rubberneckers of course.tried to get to the gabba and roads blocked but with detours i ended up eventually got on the story bridge and made it to next client .
          There was more people up at the kangaroo pt cliffs then riverfire holding up those who have no choice but to work, me . i once worked along the restaurants on eagle st and there swamped and that restaurant that was once called Oxleys , it got sunk, worked there too. i think this is going to effect alot of people for a long time. Ashgrove woolies was getting a bit thin on the shelves and they not the only food market battling the same story.
          stay well and hope to fire up the WFO Soon
          all good and well, jas.

Comment

Wish all you guys down-under well. Our prayers are with you. Looks bad on the media.
            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Dear Jas ( nd Orb recon ya lurking there abouts)
              Well guys were in to clean up now what a mess. The thing that gets to me is the smell, that mud stinks! Soon as I smelt it I knew that smell, you must forget I supose, but all the floods I went throughas a young fella in the 60s
              70s as soon as the waters went down it was there.
              Took me mum south on the weekend Northern Rivers in NSW copped it real bad as well. We got to Coffs Harbour and went to Coles/Woolworths it was a sureal experience they had fresh Veg, full milk fridges, Bread etc it really brought home to us how fast things go to the pack when something like the flood happens.
              Well enough of that .....I have a DRY oven ..get that... DRY oven.. and its saying under its protective tarp till the weekend. Then I can add a gutfull of DRY wood and flash that puppy up....might be tempted to have an ale as well
              Regards
              Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Hello Dave , yep all well over the other side of the bay!we don't flood as much as what i have seen in my travels around brisbane.And i saw why there is not that much produce around as i drove through Rocklea where the markets are , they still cleaning up over there . Everything dried up in the shops here too so it would have been a shock to see full shelves . oh sometimes it's good to be a chef and look in the pantry and throw together the nights meals with not much to start with but it works out and we all eat well.
                i have started to block in my wfo with more bessers and gone with the core fill method we all know .i'll take more pics and pop them up when i done.
                stay safe, jas.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Dear Jas ( nd Orb recon ya lurking there abouts)
                  Onya Dave, you make me sound like a stalker.

Glad you fellas are okay. I hope your ovens are ready for a big Australia day cook up.

Comment

Originally posted by Worb View Post
                    Big clean up, and a long while til things are business as usual for Brissie, I reckon. .....snip......I do reckon though that any tv reporter found sticking a camera in someone's face while they're carrying their worldly possessions away from their flooded house and saying 'HOW DO YOU FEEL' should be stuffed in a Hessian sack and used as a sandbag.
                    ....snip....
                    X2 from across the pond.

Thoughts and prayers for our friends down under...
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                      Hi Dave and welcome to this forum. It looks loke Brisbane is going ahead with 3 new members over the past few days.
                      To attach your pictures, click on the 'paper clip' (attachments), above the window where you type your post or replies. The attachment window appears and click on "Brouse". Select your picture in the formats that are accepted but you are limited to file size.Once you have selected your pic, click upload. Repeat if you want to load more up to a max 5 pictures. When you have finished your message, click "Submit Reply and your pics are automatically sent. If you want to have your pics open in your post, then click on the paper clip again and they will be within your text.
                      Easy eh!

Good luck.

Neill
                      Hi all, I am in Brisbane also. Built my oven approx 6 months ago and still learning. starting to get consistent quality now BUT heat management still problematic.

Comment

Giday Neill

My problem is basically... No Practice because of this wheather... Ovens spent most of the time soaking wet. The problem is the water enters through the entrance and soaks the hearth bricks then into the hearth insulation and of course finally into the dome. Flash that up all you have got is a steamy oven. Ive had the time on a fine day to get a fire going to dry this as much as possible then tarped the WFO again
                        Fingers crossed another small fire tomorrow and tarped till Aust Day... hope I havn't got to rusty... Yes Ive had the 2min pizza and the 10min pizza think we have all done that.
                        Aust day pizza for lunch and a lamb roast in the remains of the heat well thats the plan.
                        Recon though I should get the measure of the oven come winter and the dry cool wheather that makes Brisbane the best....
                        Perhaps you could start a new thread ... on heat management there are so many variables... wood.... oven construction...beer strenght etc

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Howdy all, i was watching the Gormet Farmer on sbs tv last thursday cos it's my'" food tv night go away everyone leave me be i'm watching this moment" and caught a glimpse of this weeks show , well he , the host of the show is visiting a guy who is making breads in his WFO !! so just wanted to let you know if you didn't allready..........might be interesting !
                          hope you all have a great AUSSIE DAY!!
                          Regards jas.

Comment

Hi Jas
                            Well on the tool front.... got those original ones done, 2mm to thick like ya say even with thinned down edges just pushes thing around the oven. When to mark11 used .9mm alumin works like a beaut.. You have got to get us to the fact its a bit floppy but thats alright lay everthing on the hearth and slide it in a quick pull back and its of the peel. A quick push forward and you can slide it under anything without pushing it inthe fire which comes in handy as you well know.
                            Jas that poker tool of yours is GREAT talk about the indespesible tool thaat things the great ALROUNDER TOOL !!!
                            The metal curtain round give it a good weight, robust and fireproof. The Bent tent peg is great for push and pullin the fire around and great for hooking out heavy dishes and pans. Ive added a spike to the end as well ( cant help myself have to over-engineer everything).
                            Recon everyone should have one Simple and Above all works....

regards Dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Dear Jas
                              Noticed the pic of the peel on the top of your post...NICE...
                              How the heck did ya do it????

regards Dave

Discovered the spell check but guess what... give up careing
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

howdy dave alls well here i'm buliding the outer of the oven to enclose it all in and yes i went with 100 series bessers , its only to wall it in and so far it looks great, biggger than i thought it would be when i first started out, no probs there i know it will never move, ha!,and may still just render over the bessers , what is , where is spellcheck?? Igot the pic up one day when searching the site , there is a avatar section in your profile area as long as you got the right size pic you can upload it just edit any pic , crop etc and see if it works and then theres the luck factor mmm. that indespencble (spellcheck) hook is a beauty huh!send us a look at the next model upgrade when can, i got three weeks holidays so i'm going to fire up the wfo with a cracker of a fire .
                                regards jas.

Comment

Working...
                                X