new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

Cobblerdave, your build looks great, looks a nice quiet corner of the garden to hide from the wife and kinds, umm I mean, cook a beautiful meal for the family. I love the brick accents around the edges.

Comment

ok worb
      I showed ya mine now you show me yours?

dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dear Jas
        I have to say it you know I can't help myseft I"M SICK AND BLOODY TIED OF THIS BLOODY RAIN!!!!!!!! now I have got that over and done with hows things with you?
        How about this thread you have started; had a look lately to see how big its become? notice how many views this things bigger than "Hitlers gas bill".
        I'm on the hunt for a peel hope you have some thoughts on this. Thought I had some 2mm aluminum on the way to build some but its a long time coming.
        Seems the bloke I got' to get it through his work left that job so they used it for somthing else now his back his reordered it well ya never know.
        Going to start a new thread on what to do with the gapes left in the dome brickwork. Pretty much it was becuse I used a brick boster to cut the bricks.
        Not bitching though the oven works just fine but I just could see it looking a bit more tidy thats all. Don't anyone give me answers on this thread as I recon its nearly full up (how big do these things Get) and jas will need thje space

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Dear Dave , i agree with you , enough rain ,please stop .i got out there on sat morning and gave the chimney brickwork a go and then had to put the covers on, just like the cricket.
          So back in side i go .
          i have taken some pics and i know I'm mighty slack on the posting and procrastinating but no but's, they will be up there asap, I'm not having much luck there , it keeps telling me they too big a file.
          hey i did see a peel in robins kitchen and thought of just adding a broom stick or i might do the rounds of the kitchen and hospitality shops i once went to many moons ago to see what or where that may leed to.
          i have a few gaps in mine to , cos you know , i am not a mason he he!. so i not sure how they get it so even and close together mate cos some of those pics look nice.i once cooked as a pro but now i just enjoy eating like a pro...
          i also have a two door glass fridge that i got from a cricket club , the pres. said get rid of it , it don't work!. so my bro has a mate who is a fridge mechanic and got two new fans in it and it hasn't stopped yet.Two years now got it all set up with all the booze and plenty of space for party foods too.
          i still make a few cakes for some extra $$ here and there and the fridge space is good.

Comment

G'day to All , so here in Brisbane we have been getting rain in bucket loads or barrow loads i should say. I have managed to get my chimney pipe on and got the whole outer oven rendered and it looks great , its hard to explain this without pics i know, so i am going to make another upload atempt .Also hard to work out in ths weather i may have also finnished it by now too if it was fine.
            i am hoping to fire it up this week so all thats left to do is enclose the whole outer with bricks and a roof .more to follow.........thanks , JAS.

Comment

Neill,

I suppose that you could consider me "in the area" as well - just up the road in Maroochydore - lurking on the site and researching what to build, how - and how much.

Sooner or later I will manage to find where to put a WFO and then I will build one

Pete

Comment

Hi Jas
                Lost mywork computer to the storm on thursday so i'm back with an old computer. Wouldn't be so bad if i hadn't put the backups on my sons USB who promply wiped em! 3 months of bookwork to reconstruct bummer!!!!
                Good idea using the barrow as a rain gauge.... mines getting too full too fast.
                Been doing a bit more... have constructed a set of doors for the "under' wood stowage. Used the sunshine on Sat to cut the lawn and ran out of time to screw them in place. Had to cut the grass the poor dogs only got short legs and she would get stuck in some parts and would have to jump to get to the shorter spots.
                Also did some more waterproofing on the oven now has a tin cover for the chimney and had to fit a piece of door flashing to the front of the oven. The rain just catches the edge of the hearth otherwise and the oven gets soaked.
                Planning to use the oven at Xmas so what dry woood I have will be used to dry the oven out with a few small fire during the week will have to probaly buy some dry wood for Xmas OOuch!!!
                Wife been missing the BBQ so we now have an early Xmas present on the back deck...A webberQ least we can cook under cover. Gas in the Kitchen is great to cook with but in the summer much much to hot so we generally BBQ outside with the wet thats been impossible might have to figure out how to convert the webber to cook pizza.... coupla left over fire bricks as pizza stone... ya never know???
                Regards
                Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

Well hi and hows it all going?i think its becoming a regular event, the morning sunshine and the after noon rains, hail like golf balls and floods ,cars floating down creeks etc. My rain gauge has filled up to to top as well ialso find the wheelbarrow has many uses as well , mixing render for the outside of the oven during the dry patches of rain/sun.I also deverted the down pipe and filled up a big 100lt bucket in no time , should be good for the garden when it stops raining haha!when ever that is..
                  I fired up the wfo sat morning, yep! a rather spectacular moment it was and a small fire at first then i kept feeding it bits of wood to keep the heat up nicely,so the wifey and i went and got a couple of chooks and a leg o lamb.
                  The lamb i boned out and olive oiled and fresh herbed it ,put it in a tagine and the small chooks i cut uu the backbone layed flat on tray with garlic lemon and extra virg olive oil then made a greek baked semolina custard with rose water in filo then put it all in the wfo and let it do what it was made for .mmm it was the best and well worth all this work i had comments from the neibours about the nice wood smoke and then the food cooking away and i also made a nice pizza dough , that was my garlic bread .
                  i prooved it in the bath room with the heat lamp on and the door closed , ahh genius i thought ,worked a treat.
                  another thing i did was i put a couple of logs in the oven to dry a little , just to the side before addind to the fire .
                  i went to the tip shop and found some stainless steel for a chimney cap, thats an indoor job for later , got a bucket on there now.
                  my pics got rejected again they semm to be over size so i know xmas is coming and so are my pics .
                  this oven got finished in time cos the in house oven just blew an element but the other downside is it's still raining here, bummer!!!

Comment

Dear jas
                    Great news finally got to eat thr Fruits of your labour. Now on the pics remember page 4 maybe 5 of this tread I wrote a long winded explaination of what to do... well it worked.... ya posted a pic... go back again and have an other go remember not more than 5 pics in a post i would really love to see the oven

as always dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Ok Dave I will do the home work and do it again , I did somehow manage to get one pic up so I will not give up.
                      Jas.

Comment

Ok managed to work out the photo thing. Dave here is the photos

Comment

Here is the photosClick image for larger version

Name:	wfo 1a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	283814
                          [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	wfo3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	766.4 KB
ID:	283816[/ATTACH]

Comment

you can also get them from a company in Springwood called Total Refractory Management who also sell insulating board and blanket and flues. Mine arrive tomorrow for construction between Christmas and New Year. They don't have fireclay in stock though which I understand is the ideal mortar. This you can get from Claypave although they shut down between Christmas and New Year so if you're planning on doing anything then be quick

Banksie

Comment

Hi pete i see you are new to this obsession and welcome if there is anything you need to know just ask all you like cos it's all on this site .
                              I have got all the help i needed from the forum from around the world and local ' i'm just up the road" too.
                              So good luck and hope to see your progress.
                              jas.

Comment

Hi, just picked up this thread. you can also get bricks, ceramic insulating board and blanket from a company in Springwood called Total Refractory Management. They have a website and are great dealing through email. They don't have fireclay in stock though but you can get this through Claypave at Dinmore. i have alrfeady buiilt the base and all my oven stuff arrives today for a build in between Christmas and New Year.

Good luck with everything

Banksie

Comment

Working...
                                X