• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Thanx Steve

What brand was it, from where did you purchase.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-02-2014, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

I used liquid flashing, to seal the top and also to stop water getting into the calsil board.

cheers,

Steve.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi guys no action on oven daughter flew in from London as a surprise good Friday left Tuesday after Anzac day do nothing was accomplished other than quality time with her.

I do have a question.

When I render the done I will still have the Hebel exposed to the weather. It needs to be rendered also but I am concerned with storage getting under the done. Should I be concerned, if do any suggestions for ensuring a good seal.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey Russell

Been a while. Yep round 2. Better, cheaper, maybe bigger, but same theme for both love the Japanese, garden will do very similar all swmbo wants is somehere to paddle her feet.

Haven't told her yet I will fill it with piranha hehehehe

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Jeeze you guys talking about building round two............the weather is good now so I have no excuses to uncover mine "round one" and maybe finish it by 2016!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

3 years off at least. Pretty much wont look any different John but the setting might look a little more like yours this time.

BTW where are you at any more progress?.

I will work a little on my IT and try hard to work out the cuts before hand like Les did.

Am just going to acquire materials as I find them cheap so I can get stuck in when the time comes. The concrete slab will be easier as I wont have existing infrastructure to work around I have a clean slate. Will still use Hebel for my framework as I feel it is so much easier than block. Will change so I have rear and front access to store wood.

Not much else I would change.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-16-2014, 04:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Now you guys need to knock some sense into me , I TODAY bought 48% alumina arch 75 59 firebricks about 200 for $300 for [you guessed it] to build oven at new place
    Can't wait to see the results of Round Two...

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I am not sure what they call the bricks I found but they have one square side and one tapered side. They look like they were meant for building a tunnel shaped structure. They made a perfectly functional dome and I cut them back to square for the floor bricks.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Actually the bricks he had I think he called wedge fire bricks, but I stuck with the arch bricks.

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied

I used tapered bricks I set the bricks out with a 1.5 mm packer pulled them up tight with a ratchet strap and used the resultant circle as the diameter of the oven as the angle in the vertical arch is the same I then used the taper on the flat and cut the vertical sides resulting in 1.5 mm joints both ways

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Steve
    The guy I speak of had 2000 of those [tapers]. opted for the arch bricks [less cuts] to achieve my no mortar internal finish. Will do the same again.

Will also do the yin and yang glazed symbol again its so cool watching it reappear from the DARKSIDE might make it similar next time to what I do with the keystone of my decorative arch.

I often just sit and watch when it clears and watch the keystone just appear from nothing every gust I have had thinks it is so cool.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

The ones I found were on pallets that were rotting and for 50c each could not miss. They are tapers and I cut them in half but they are the same size at the cut. Used the large ones on the bottom and the smaller ones at the top. It turned out fine.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Never let a good deal go by. I have enough in my shed to build another dome from when I found them at the right price when building my first.

I do believe that finishing one to find out what you would do differently would be a good thing to do!
    Hi Steve

I just happened to drop in on the guy that supplied me a lot of materials. He had a number of firebricks he obtained from a business that closed all new. He had some strange fire bricks all 47%. Including 2000 that tapered like wedges, and some other that were angled on one side only [key bricks]. He wanted a price then gave me a much better deal worked out to around 200 bricks at $300, cheaper than the current oven and more dense. now if I can find blanket and hearth cheap the next oven will cost much less.

Plus I will have everything I need. Will make some adjustments to my IT.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I also see that gradii 400c restaurant won margarita pizza world championship.
    Might go and check it out....

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

hmmmmm what would I do differently ........ bigger hearth base surface would be it. Similar too Litekeeper
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-15-2014, 03:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X