• Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Hi Dave

How did you manage to so that seed.
    That's why
    I borrowed one from my uncle and have not stopped using it. I am sealing anything I can find. Hmmmmmmm haven't tried the missus yet . He had never used it other than when he first got it.

I have ordered one from Harvey Norman with a marinade feature lots of containers, roles a bit more expensive at 299 but asked for reduction they dropped to 225, last one in shop.

I now vacuum seal all meat. Leftovers, veges into serving sizes, sandwich meat. Pizza toppings, including cheese, and anything else, eg basil lasted 3 weeks and was still ok.

Dave get your bags online muchmuch cheaper.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Colin
    Just for interest KMart is selling a vac packer for $110 and roll of plastic for $30.
    Haven't seen it yet but the wife's rang me up to tell me we now own one. Great when she thinks its her idea
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I copied the info over to that thread. Might i suggest people occasionally lift out to the top of the Aussie thread

Ok have purchased a vacuum sealer and been sealing everything I can. Flour coffee bean, vegetables.you name it or gets sealed.

OVEN UPDATE

Nothing done since Xmas, a couple layers of render and obtained some bulllnose decorative arch bricks the same as my house, took me 4 weeks to obtain once I sourced them. Drive post every day I was at work. So close but but just couldn't get them to my place, proprietor had no clue. But have them now so I can finish hopefully between now and Easter.

Leave a comment:

• applor
    replied

Anyone know if the Caputo flour is also available in Brisbane somewhere? Hopefully for the same price you gents are getting it in Melbourne.

edit: ah I just read a few pages back that oasiscdm posted a contact number in QLD so will give that a try, thanks!

edit2: we really should be discussing the flour in its specific thread so it is easier for other people to find.
    Might make a post in there.

Link/updated in the thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/m...o-16349-6.html
    Last edited by applor; 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
    If you are looking for another reason to buy a vac sealer you should try Sous Vide cooking. This is the antitheses of wood fired oven cooking in that you cook slow in a precise, temperature controlled water bath. We have a Sunbeam Sous Vide that cost about $180.

The steaks, chicken etc that we have cooked have been amazing. Because it is temp controlled every mm of food is cooked exactly as required (rare, medium etc) and because it is vacuum sealed no moisture escapes at all.
    I enjoy the food from this style of cooking but have some issues about what volatile petro-chemicals are released from the plastic when heat is applied. The temps used in the process may not get to the point that makes things nasty but it depends on what you read I suppose.

I might stick to the natural flame generated heat processes until the jury comes back. Works for me and if you want slow cooked, the WFO does that to perfection. No plastic involved.

Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Greenman; 02-25-2014, 03:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

If you are looking for another reason to buy a vac sealer you should try Sous Vide cooking. This is the antitheses of wood fired oven cooking in that you cook slow in a precise, temperature controlled water bath. We have a Sunbeam Sous Vide that cost about $180.

The steaks, chicken etc that we have cooked have been amazing. Because it is temp controlled every mm of food is cooked exactly as required (rare, medium etc) and because it is vacuum sealed no moisture escapes at all.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hmm 70 vs 270. Hmmmm. Might have to go cheaply. If it dies, then spend up on quality.

I guess 2 years use would say it's good value.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

My Aldi one was about $70
    $14 for a box with 2 rolls of bags in it.
    Its been going for 2 or 3 years now.
    Just got another box of bags, in a roll, a few weeks back.(still $14).

Its earned its keep just in no freezer burns on fish
    Let alone bulk flour and rice and everything else.

I have enough food stored for the zombie apocalypse

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Hey Liteceeper

Curious that's one expensive vac, googled it. Did you get it cheaper than what I saw. Don't think i could justify that price with swmbo
    Had them on special I think around the $270 mark with lots of extra bag material. If you save $1.00 or so for each kilo will only take 10 bags of Caputo to break even.

But good for storing toppings etc. also, I grow home vegetables which I blanch and freeze so you could get away with saying its multi purpose?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Liteceeper View Post
    Hi Colin
    Got a vacuum packer (Unika) from Sydney boat show last year, come with lots of bags and rolls of bag making tubes, you can get them direct from Munro.
    I get 10kg bags and split into 1kg lots and freeze. Not sure how long you could store but would have to be 12 months +.

Hey Liteceeper

Curious that's one expensive vac, googled it. Did you get it cheaper than what I saw. Don't think i could justify that price with swmbo

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Well i tried the Caputo . I must say I need wow. Light crispy, taste is just too die for compared to other fours I've tried. Have tried the light house, wallaby. But this flour is just better all round. I made an Olive oil and garlic small amount of cheese, kanji, sees me seeds and a little habonero chilli. I wanted the base to be the star. All I can say is was worth the effort in ditching the flour.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Yay........now own a bag of Molino caputo pizzeria. Trying to post photos but bloody android won't let me. Any idea ?

For those in Melbourne there are 6 bags left at lakes fresh food market @ $ 50 each. Bargain.

Ok. Storage of said flour any idea?
    Hi Colin
    Got a vacuum packer (Unika) from Sydney boat show last year, come with lots of bags and rolls of bag making tubes, you can get them direct from Munro.
    I get 10kg bags and split into 1kg lots and freeze. Not sure how long you could store but would have to be 12 months +.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

The Lighthouse brand pizza flour, available at Coles supermarkets in 1kg boxes makes excellent pizza dough. I buy 12.5 kg bags of Allied Mills pizza flour from a wholesale food supplier at a good price.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

You are right Dave. It is a lot of flour. Splitting is what I would do. Might contact the other guy building locally and set up a buying group.

Although I did go through 10kg of wallaby since Xmas. Few guests seeing how the oven performs.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-22-2014, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Colin
    No I haven't as yet will have to next week.
    Only thing is 25 kg is a lot of flour. I know that 10 kg takes a bit of time to use. 1kg gets you about 6 dough balls . Works out a 25 kg bag should yield 150 pizzas. I'm thinking a out my waistline. Cause that's a lots pizza.
    I'd be better splitting a bag. Ill have to make some phone calls.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X