X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Well I have got the insulation blanket on and the chook wire. Fired oven with 4 rings of curing device, whilst doing it. What I didn't notice was that temperature increased gradually over the day reaching the temps I put up earlier but the top of the dome cleared and the yin and yang appeared. damn I missed it.

I also put a third layer of Insulation blanket at the top of the dome and one strip around the bottom of the dome. Thought it would help prevent heat loss plus had some spare left over blanket.

Dropped temp back to 3 burners felt I was over doing it.

Made some modifications to the curing device [thanks David] after going to a plumber mates place [see previous post]

So I guess the hard work is completed.

Only the Render and front decorative arch to go but both can wait until after Xmas. Concentrating now on getting the water out of the oven. As I wont have next weekend to crank it up.

Oh I took temperature at the bottom of the Hebel in stand it was around 38c
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-15-2013, 02:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

just got some temps
    the back of hebel 195c front 75c
    Floor 250c
    1st course 200c at the side 230c at the back
    half way up 300c at side 300c at back
    top 374c

Thermocouple 10 from brick face 250c
    Thermocouple 10mm from back 170c

Curing device gets temp up there.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-15-2013, 01:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    Oasis, what's the advantage to a curing device over burning wood?
    No large flames, allows oven to heat evenly. a slow and steady cure might minimise cracking. When I took off plastic it was drenched and stream then came off the oven.

Will heat with curing device for another day Tuesday will get done heat into the floor with heat beads, then maybe wood on Thursday. Away next weekend so won't be able to fire it up until Sunday.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    [ATTACH]40740[/ATTACH]
    Look like you have God's Blessing, you must be doing things right.
    Keep up the good work.
    It is so hot and humid here now that I think the sun must be coming from Satan. I can only work from dawn (5am) until around 9am, then retire into the aircon until 5 pm and get a bit more done until dark. In the afternoon we pray for the sun to go down .I don't know how guys labouring all day can handle it. Really looking forward to skiing in Japan the first two weeks of Jan.
    Last edited by david s; 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    and the conclusion to the end of the dome. Curing blanket layed, God shining down from above pic 4. All that's left is the render purchased this today 10 bags not expecting it to be enough but will get it close.

looking at 50mm of render based on most recommendations,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	40735d1387018550-new-build-werribee-imag1345.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	302914
    Look like you have God's Blessing, you must be doing things right.
    Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Oasis, what's the advantage to a curing device over burning wood?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Cranked up the curing device to 4 rings at 11pm.

Must say I am impressed with the Hebel as a temp door. inside temp now at 190c, outside temp at about 60c.

Most impressive.

1205am plastic over dome, condensation galore, steam coming off and around the flue area.
    Guessing everything that needs to happen is happening.

Both gas cylinders are empty, tomorrow I will get swap and go and fire one up until empty full bore. then will fire up using heat beads then wood. hopefully clearing temps by tuesday
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-14-2013, 06:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

well tomorrow I will take out the tapon tdc and lock in the the wires holding the blanket in place. Everything seems to be working out well, Blanket is wet on the surface. Will keep the curing device running for most of tomorrow and then use heat beads Monday and hopefully by Wednesday I will be ready for wood fire.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

and the conclusion to the end of the dome. Curing blanket layed, God shining down from above pic 4. All that's left is the render purchased this today 10 bags not expecting it to be enough but will get it close.

looking at 50mm of render based on most recommendations,
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-14-2013, 05:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

thought I had enough blanket for 4 layers but miscalculated had only enough for 2 layers .

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

well I got the insulating blanket on the dome. BEen firing it all day 3 rings, temp around 330c top of dome wals not far below 180c and owe r down the dome.

the thermocouple positions ar great. reading 180c 10mm from the internal dome surface and about 120c 10mm into the fire brick.

so far so good. The blanket at the top is actually feeling a little wet.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Have run the curing device all day since 7am. Initially 1st and 2nd ring, then after 4 hours added 3rd ring. I layed the insulation blanket during this.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Its 10pm oven walls at 150c external shiralite temp at 45c condensation forming on Plastic. Will run for 2 more hours fire up in the morning while I wrap in blanket.

Bottom of oven wall around 100c floor also 100c, top of dome 250c half way up around 170c back of hebel 170c front of hebel 58c.

Now here's a question I have 2 boxes of 7m x 60cm ceramic blanket, Difference is it is in 10cm widths i.e. 6 widths per box making the 60cm. How would you place that on the dome I will get 4 layers? All suggestions welcome
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-13-2013, 04:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Put some plastic over dome. Fired up curing device, and have it now running around
    150c mid way up the dome. Will keep it running until midnight.

started around 5.30pm

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

You guys are unreal I read those messages while watching Santa Clause 2 which happens to be about the Santa "Clause 2" which is about him finding a wife, otherwise he is de santa ised.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-13-2013, 03:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X