X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Not seeing it in my results now I know the trap. oven side of hearth was hotter than the stainless which was hotter than the granite. SS is stuffed with calsil, 3mm gap to granite all working as it should. Unless I of course ang that was consistent in over 30 instances of reasons at various times as the oven moved to clearing temps.

Angle the IR gun then that all changes. DRAMATICALLY

Any how I'm a happy chappy.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-20-2013, 08:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied

I struggle with the idea that different materials in contact with each other can have different temperatures over a sustained period possibly the SS "feels" hotter due to it's better conductivity. The higher conductivity of the SS means that it cannot be a heat break as it will just transfer heat across in an effort to equalise . For a heat break you need high non conduction i.e insulation

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes, I shal retest at some point. But the stainless was still way hotter than the arch on which it was resting because I could still hold my hand against the arch, but no way could I have held my hand on the stainless. I think I could have fried an egg on it. So the principle still stands that the more conductive material attracts heat to itself and can be hotter than the material that surrounds it.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Yep seems to confirm my son and my tests. Due to the various surfaces during emmisivity of him might prove difficult. I also have thermocouple and a 500c max thermometer. All gave me accurate readings.

Comparable to the it gun held 90deg to the surface.

Lesson learned heat break works. And I do not have to oxy out the SS

Be interested David in your re-test results.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Looks like I may have to repeat my test.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/my...tml#post158522

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Yep I can adjust the emisivity on my gun. But to what?

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied

The variance most likely relates to the emissivity of the materials which can vary between 0.1 for polished surfaces to 0.9 for granite good IR thermometers can be adjusted to accommodate the variance

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

I can confirm the behaviour. When I check my oven the same happens, IR guns don't like some reflective surfaces or materials.

Weeks ago I did the same testing on my chimney and had the same result. I don't have any granite, but even dull (not shiny) SS reflected infra-red... interesting, that the properties of infra-red light acts different to visible light.

Years ago I did some infra-red photography, using now ancient film technology. Landscapes where surreal with this spectrum. It acts different to visible light that we are used to. It would be interesting if someone had a infra-red camera to check what it looks like from an IR perspective.

Cheers,

Steve.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Interesting observations on the IR gun, will have to try it next time I fire up. Right now I have a 12" of snow on my oven

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Ok am about to give you a lesson. I thought I had made a monumental error with my heat break. SS tube stuffed with Calsil surrounded by calsil with 3mm air break to Granite landing. This morning when I took readings 12 hours after firing I had these readings

heart 120c SS 190c granite landings 230c. this made no sense to me. SO I have been thinking all day how to remove the SS.

My son came over for first pizza night. Cranked it up to 500c and discussed the readings with my son. we mucked around and found that if the IR gun is angled the temps from the SS and Granite read high. If IR gun held at 90deg to surface the readings were. Hearth 120c SS 70c Granite 60c.

it appeared the IR gun and the reflective surfaces [SS and Granite] effect the results. we checked this out at least 30 times while firing the last readings were at clearing temps were

Hearth 420c SS 220c Granite 160c gun held at 90 deg. angled Hearth 420c SS 495C Granite 360C
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-20-2013, 04:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Liteceeper

Stuffing recipe

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small brown onion, finely chopped
    2 middle bacon rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/3 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
    1/3 cup roasted pine nuts
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 cups fresh multigrain breadcrumbs [or substitute]
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves

Make Maple macadamia stuffing: Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until bacon has browned. Add macadamias. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in maple syrup, breadcrumbs, roasted pine nuts, egg and thyme. Season with pepper.

And enjoy I rubbed the chicken with smoked paprika under the skin.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Hi Colin
    Looking good on curing and first cooking, been working away so first chance to catch-up on your build.
    Agree with others comments on your neat brickwork, the photo of your oven quote "My nice neat clean and pretty oven is all dirty" all black showing off the joints is a ripper and then the dome clearing to reveal the keystone is something to be proud of.
    I will try your chicken on the weekend, Pizza Saturday night, scones Sunday morning, your chicken Sunday night and slow roast butterfly lamb on Monday.
    Hope your pizza goes great tonight.

I regards to the surprising high temps at underside of hebel, same happened with my curing, slab under side got to 100C and that's when i heard the dull thud as the slab neatly divided itself into four, now that I have had four clearing fires and cooling to ambient, the cracks are hairline and difficult to find (I know where they are).
    The underside still gets to 40C but I guess the 50mm calsil and slab have dried out a bit.

The amount of wood for a clearing fire in my 42" is about the amount in the white box (and a bit more) in photo, I start with american oak offcuts for 1/2 hour and then start chuckin on redgum, oven starts to clear in 1&1/2 hours and then all good by 2 hours, I could go quicker I guess but I like to ramp up slowly, as you are finding out the top gets hot fairly quick but sides & floor need time to absorb heat.

Anthony

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Shit there's a bit missing wonder where that went.

In my belly
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-19-2013, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Congratulations Colin on your chicken.

A few weeks ago I also cooked a chicken, tasted fantastic. The WFO is certainly like a drug, the food tastes so good. Ill be interested to see how your first pizzas go. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

PIZZA temp Friday night. clear dome up to then will look at 300c, clear dome Friday. the ramp up Sunday .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X