X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Well I got home dropped my make shift pulley cover. Put the plastic over the dome, threw a couple of bags of heat beads on, tossed in a card board box and temperature on the walls is now at 350c and top of dome about 415c walls not clearing, floor around 210c.

Now I'm curious with the plastic over the dome there is no condensation.
    I have now kept the oven around 250c for 4 days having built up to this over 2 days. I have increase temp up to those mentioned above.

So does that mean the water is gone? and can I crank it up and head towards clearing fires

Plastic has been on now for around 3 hours since getting home. Still not wet. I went out about 9pm and there was condensation removed the plastic to allow the blanket to air dry.

Tossed a little wood in [see photo below its trying to clear].

Previously condensation would form within 5 minutes.

I also decided I might as well use the heat so I prepared a chook

Smoked Paprika rubbed Chicken [under skin] with macadamia, roasted pine nut, maple syprup and thyme stuffing.
    Will cook it tomorrow night in whatever heat is there.

David KB John FYI it was very cool watching the dome clear and the Dome Keystone reappearing very cool.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-17-2013, 05:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by david s
    Never use the two fuels at the same time, it's really dangerous. Should the flame fail, you will have an oven full of hot gas waiting to ignite. You may then have to start rebuilding your oven piece by piece.

THx David not what I meant. I meant OR not 'and'. have fixed the error.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thx John and kb.

Compliments coming from you guys do make the effort worthwhile.
    John as I have said yours is the prettiest build, and I thank you for all your assistance as we built those difficult landings flared and dropped front arch. All that shaving grinding helped the smoke flow. I was amazed when I watched the hat beads soot up the entry. Watching all that black stuff displaying up the flue was quite amazing. Wished I had got that on video. It was all over in about 30 seconds.

When do you feel I should build to clearing temps. As I can do that with the curing device or start with wood?.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-16-2013, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    KBart is right: The ceiling soot starkly displays the accuracy and symmetry of your beautiful brick cuts. Once it clears, you'll see you can go black and go back!

Nicely done, sir!
    LOL......... that ain't how the saying goes.........He right on the smoke stains tell the truth well done. Good job........... it's all pink at that point......

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Colin,

Judging from the soot signature in your entryway pics, the configuration of your vent is quite effective. It appears no smoke made it out the door and past 50% of the way to your outer arch before exiting up through the flue. Just like stopwatches in timed swimming events (they don't lie), same goes for telltale smoke stains. I would also attribute this efficiency to your hemispherical arch shape, which appears to contribute to a narrower smoke path than a wider, flatter arch. I'm also curious to see how the soot path changes once you get a full fire going.

KBart is right: The ceiling soot starkly displays the accuracy and symmetry of your beautiful brick cuts. Once it clears, you'll see you can go black and go back!

Nicely done, sir!
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM. Reason: lame typo

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    Wonderful but I can't help but wonder where one gets such a thing. Even if I was back in the US, where to go to buy? Is there a 'WFO Curing Devices R Us' store on every corner down under?

It looks like a great oven! I'm sure you'll have many a pizza party with it Oasis. :b:
    Thanks Lancer for the compliments. Re curing device I just purchased it online, a place here in Melbourne had it going for very reasonable price.

You can get them from China/Hong Kong if you can get the propane/LPG. Can you get this where you are?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I have sent SWMBO out today to get another box of heat beads toss them in bag and all when I get home. I chucked 3 bags in last night when I got back from the men's group I facilitate [about 11pm].

The oven was around 180c when I got home at 11pm without heat from around midday.

I threw 2 bags in this morning. Then will toss 2-4 in tonight. Maybe a little wood before I go to bed.

I also erected a cover over the oven [also at 11pm] so I can keep the plastic off it [found it saturates the blanket with condensation]. Made it so I can take it up and down easily [rope pullies] as we are in for 3 hot days coming up. And I also made a shovel with long handle another $6 bunnings special.

I will put the plastic over the oven tonight when I get home leave it for a while check for condensation.

This hopefully will dry up the blanket. My aim is to keep it around that 300 - 350c mark for a number of days before I go away this weekend overnight [damn could have had a practice run at a chicken or something].
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey kb going slow heat beads tonight, maybe tomorrow, then wood. Been firing oven since Thursday I think. Had the curing device get temp up too clearing temps to off oven

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    No large flames, allows oven to heat evenly. a slow and steady cure might minimise cracking. When I took off plastic it was drenched and stream then came off the oven.

Well heat with cutting device for another day Tuesday will get done heat into the floor with heat beads, then maybe wood on Thursday. Away next weekend so won't be able to fire it up until Sunday.
    Wonderful but I can't help but wonder where one gets such a thing. Even if I was back in the US, where to go to buy? Is there a 'WFO Curing Devices R Us' store on every corner down under?

It looks like a great oven! I'm sure you'll have many a pizza party with it Oasis. :b:

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

My nice neat clean and pretty oven is all dirty and black
    Black is beautiful. Can't wait to see your keystone cleared, go easy though.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

My nice neat clean and pretty oven is all dirty and black

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks russell. I rugged up but am still itchy. Found the chook wire worse am cut to buggery and beyond. Was amazed when dome cleared with curing device. How's this I had 8 heat beads just sitting in there and went out last night and they had ignited , no direct flame, cool.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Colin
    Nice work on cf blanket, really is nasty stuff huh. Your cure is coming along nice should be able to cook something soon with residual heat.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks Steve

Curing as we speak. Finishing touches will have to wait until after Xmas.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Good work Colin, its coming along nicely.

Cheers,

Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X