X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Yep curing well. No baguettes for Colin have lost 13kg, Still not sure whether to vent top of dome with render layer.

The beauty of my yin and yang symbol is watching it magically reappear.

Lost my temp door turned to ash even with the layers of foil. Never mind got a new temp door
    hebel and calsil scraps.

The real door still in the building.....

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

ooohh lala..........after pizza you can switch to french baguettes!! Oven looks like it is curing well. Nice to see the yin/yang everytime you clear the dome.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Now. That is interesting, I am a mental health counselor/coach. And to be honest I don't care but can take the piss out off myself. Nice one Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Good outcome Colin. If looking like a dork was an issue then half of the population is in trouble, including me.

That is a problem for others!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Ok thanks guys. Lit fire at 12pm cleared at 1.30pm top of dome 650c half way up wall 520c hearth 415c and rising.

Smaller wood, more of it oven even cleared consistently.

This was taken the other night Son bought back a chefs hat and apron from Paris. Look like a dork and I don't think the color is appropriate.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Ok I will give it to her next firing and smaller is better

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Colin
    What's with the logs? Sticks are best, never anything thicker than you wrist. The fire needs to cover as much of the floor as possible. Just keep loading them in . Too much is when the flames start licking out the door, just under that is perfect. The floors the lowest point, heat goes up, and its often insulated by the ash as well so its the hardest to heat. Lots of ovens have 50mm floors so there quicker to heat. Yours is 75mm so it stores a bit of heat , you just got to get it there first.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

When my dome ha s cleared (around 1 hr 20 mins) , I don't consider it ready for pizza. I usually fire my oven for about another 20-30 mins with the whole chamber full of flames- really give it to her. But as I said, every oven is different, my walls and floor are only 2" thick. But I think you could probably get more aggressive with the fire.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

thanks guys

Will keep firing. Tonight firing took around 4 hours to clear. Will go and check hearth temps its now 11:43pm started firing at 3.30pm. Oven cleared at around 8.30pm. Current temps are 360c top of dome 350c at wall cooking side of dome half way up 310c floor.

Don't think I have ever seen floor above 350c. FYI my floor is 75mm firebrick tile

I have never had more than 3 logs burning at once. Should I try ramping it up with more? What would the suggestion be. I read on this site that guys are getting to pizza temps with 3 logs, Davids in a earlier post on this thread, floor gets to over 500c.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

FYI,

If I fire up the oven for Pizza, The difference between top of dome and heath temperature would probably be less then 50c. I try for a the heath to be under 400c. Temperatures over this are to hot. Though at the entry its cooler, so can start cooking and work my way deeper in as it stabilizes.

At lower temperatures the difference is less. We did Pizza last night, and cooked a tortano a few hours ago using the heat from last night.

I just checked the difference between top of dome 185c and heart 178c is less the 10 degrees. Its probably less the 20c difference at the door opening and top of dome.

Thus the dome is saturated with low heat and not much difference anywhere. Note the door is on.

Steve.
    Last edited by brissie; 12-29-2013, 03:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Hi colin, Just like to say your Xmas lunch and Frittata looks good.

I can't help much with the water problem. It's harder then you first think to remove all water out of it.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Thanks David. That is for certain...... Not sure how water gets there as it has always been covered.
    Gudday
    Capillary action sucks!!! It probably sucked the moisture in during the oven construction. Now its a full structure its down deep. Every time you fire the oven the dried inside will attract the moisture for you to get rid of in the next firing.
    Like Dave's says keep firing.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Mine goes over 550 C which is my IR max. And does two secs for the semolina test. First pizza cooked partly in the entry, then subsequent ones get pushed in deeper as floor temp stabilizes, but every oven is different. Keep firing and cooking.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

might need longer firing. What temp should the floor reach?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Well unless you added tons of water to the calsil, you would think it would be dry by now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X