X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Hey Dave did you make call to see if you can get caputo flour yet.

Will be firing up tonight to try the dough. Like most have been using wallaby. Do am interested to see if noticeable difference.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day again!
    Probably don't sell to many now cause they last to long
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Dave, Your luck might improve if you keep any eye out and cut the ad from the Aldi catalogue next time they run the vacuum packers. I bought one about 5 years ago and it is still going strong.
    Gudday
    Trust my luck.....

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Dave, Your luck might improve if you keep any eye out and cut the ad from the Aldi catalogue next time they run the vacuum packers. I bought one about 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

I have flour cryovaced which I freeze for a few days them take out and store in the pantry.
    Hopefully to kill the eggs of any weevils.
    Preppers use de oxygenaters and mylar bags and talk of storage of about 10 to 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Colin
    My neighbor put me on to keeping the flour in the fridge. It seems to work as the temp is to low for anything to go through its life cycle.
    I'm used to buying 10 kg wallaby flour, and storing it in 500 gm lots in polytene bags. Be warned they they allow the flour to slowly slip through the fridge racks of the beer fridge, very interesting to try to extract! So make sure you put them on a tray. Much better if you could buy plastic bags instead of polytene ones , better still one of those fancy Vac Packers would be great.... I've put the hints out every Xmas for one of those
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Done and Thankyou

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Place it in a sealed container first. Not had a problem with condensation.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Wouldn't condensation, ice crystals affect it.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Yep David that's about what happened.

Any toys on storing large quantities of flour.
    The freezer

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Yep David that's about what happened.

Any tips on storing large quantities of flour.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

[QUOTE=Greenman;169839]
    Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    might get some Molino wholemeal as well and try that. Haven't had much success with wholemeal. Never seen Molino in W. Was it 25kg blue bag?

The wholemeal I used was not Molino, it was stoneground organic wholemeal from a local bulk ingredient retailer. It was expensive but I am sure that there is plenty of cheaper wholemeal around. The other thing I found was that it took more water with the wholemeal to get the same consistency so it is probably about 67/68% hydration.
    Normally you don't use 100% wholemeal, it reduces the rising try 50/50 plain and wholemeal and you get a lighter dough.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Yay........now own a bag of Molino caputo pizzeria. Trying to post photos but bloody android won't let me. Any idea ?

For those in Melbourne there are 6 bags left at lakes fresh food market @ $ 50 each. Bargain.

Ok. Storage of said flour any idea?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-21-2014, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

[QUOTE=oasiscdm;169814]might get some Molino wholemeal as well and try that. Haven't had much success with wholemeal. Never seen Molino in W. Was it 25kg blue bag?

The wholemeal I used was not Molino, it was stoneground organic wholemeal from a local bulk ingredient retailer. It was expensive but I am sure that there is plenty of cheaper wholemeal around. The other thing I found was that it took more water with the wholemeal to get the same consistency so it is probably about 67/68% hydration.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by brissie View Post
    Good tip oasiscdm

I still have have about 10 Kg of wallaby flour. But need to try the imported stuff. Have to see how good Molino Caputo is.

Cooked about 25 Pizza last weekend for my work mates. The Wallaby was good. It will be interested to see how everyone goes with imports...

Cheers
    have been using wallaby just finished it last weekend. That's why I have been tying to find reasonably priced pizzeria. The guy just happened to mention bisile imports, I think by mistake more than anything. From there it was easy called them Better be what it is cracked up to be brindle 25kg is a lot of flour if it isn't.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X