X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

yes, planning on doing the tapered inner arch. Thanks. The additional pictures were helpful as well as knowing that you use a longer brick.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Texas,

I am assuming your goal is to do a tapered inner arch. I have attached a pic showing how you can use an IT to help with the placement of the arch. You will also need to use bricks that are longer than 4.5 (or half bricks) in order to accomplish the inner taper and protrude off the front. Start with a whole brick. The tapered arch concept is a little abstract and hard to visualize but worth the effort. I have several pics on my picassa album to help you. Also check our GianniFoccacia's thread for additional info on tapered arches.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

question about arch placement - picture in post #191 on pg 20 and picture in post #212 pg 22 looks like the arch is in the same place to me. #191 was before the "help, the dome template doesn't reach and Sharkey's green arrow, yellow arc, red line, pink line" stuff and #212 was after the Apothem calculation of 434mm. Did you actually move the inner arch form closer to the center of the oven - to what dimension? If yes, what did you do to the floor to adjust for the movement? Did you leave the arch at the place where your arch opening makes a chord on the circle and just push the TDC brick to meet the dome template and deal with the small open triangle that is formed?

I have a paper template with cardboard inner arch and cardboard dome arch sitting in my living room. 36" dia oven, 19" wide arch opening, 12" inner height of arch (of opening). so my apothem is 15.28". When I put the arch at 15 1/4" from the center, the dome arch template misses the top center of the inner arch by about 1.5". I calculated the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed with the base leg of 15.28" (apothem) and the vertical leg (arch opening) as 12" - the result is 19.42". My oven radius is 18" - so the difference is 1.4" - almost the 1 1/2" I measured with my cardboard templates.

It seems that my arch needs to be moved toward the center of the oven to where the diagonal is 18" and the arch height is 12". Calculating that number says my inner arch needs to be 13.4" from the center of the oven, or moved 1.88 inches closer to the center of the oven. That makes my oven cooking area smaller, but my main concern is the transition from the circle shape of the oven floor to the inner arch. The first brick on each side of the arch will either need to be cut match the oven dome curve (approx 3" cut off the side toward the inside of the oven and approx 2" cut off the side you can see in the inside opening of the inner arch). or I will have about a 3" flat spot where the dome curve meets the first arch brick and the arch brick is parallel to the oven opening. Another concern is if I use 4.5" bricks to make the arch 4.5" deep, the outside curvature of my dome looks like it will just meet the outside corner of the bottom arch brick and there will be no arch protruding from the dome, like yours.

How deep are your arch bricks? How much does your arch protrude or stick out from the outside of your dome?

Thanks for your (and anyone else that can chime in!) help!
    Texas

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

HI guys

not much progress waiting on some bull nose bricks the same as my house that I stumbled upon. fluke purchase but been waiting for 3 weeks I pass these bloody bricks everyday as I visit clients damn frustrating.

In the interim a mate had 3 gum trees chopped down see photos below collect this weekend damn weather going to be mid 30's will need 4 loads of a 2 metre truck.

Damn ran out of render am using high build and will build up to 40mm currently around 20mm another layer of chicken wire. will complete unfinished layer this weekend and wrap in another layer of chicken wire then 2 more 10mm coats. Tried doing it 40mm in one hit decided against this approach.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-31-2014, 03:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

To make a whole meal bread loaf it is more successful if you add only a small proportion of whole meal eg around 30% and 70% plain. I'd say commercial Australian whole meal bread contains probably around 10% whole meal. 100% whole meal results in a very dense loaf. Pizza bases probably the same.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Was looking at Brissie thread and noticed he tried a sour dough pizza [nice one Brissie].

Has anyone mastered a wholemeal pizza base and if so what flour was used?

I was thinking of using Atta wholemeal flour but am looking for alternatives that others have tried. I actually prefer wholemeal bases but have never actually attempted it. Used to have a local pizza shop that would had these on his menu.

The streets flue experiment did not work. Pizza looked great cooked will but was soft and not crispy.. made dough the same way as normal dough that works well.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Was looking at Brissie thread and noticed he tried a sour dough pizza [nice one Brissie].

I was thinking of using Atta wholemeal flour but am looking for alternatives that others have tried. I actually prefer wholemeal bases but have never actually attempted it. Used to have a local pizza shop that would had these on his menu.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Australias day weekend off off course??????

Hi KB

Australia day is a public holiday over here so a long weekend. Will do render then.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Thanks for that KB.

However like you have found the cooking aspect more fun. Been working on the door of and on. Not worried about render off some yet Planning that for Australias day weekend off off course I'm not cooking

door will be fully isolated, SS as I Am adapting dino plans.

To hold heat door will be 5" thick. Some say to big but it will be very well balanced. 3 layers of SS, 50mm calsil and 75mm hebel. Have come up with a unique design do I can pull it apart and experiment. Will post photos when it s done.

Thanks again KB for compliment.

Crack report...

So far not cracks any where and have used it everyday since Christmas

Australias day weekend off off course??????

Can't wait to see the photos of your door. I will have to take a look at Dino's, I haven't found a design that suits my fancy yet. Well insulated for me as well. My doors are a long way off, must finish the stucco and counters first. I can get by with my temporary for now.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks for that KB.

However like you have found the cooking aspect more fun. Been working on the door of and on. Not worried about render off some yet Planning that for Australias day weekend off off course I'm not cooking

door will be fully isolated, SS as I Am adapting dino plans.

To hold heat door will be 5" thick. Some say to big but it will be very well balanced. 3 layers of SS, sandwiching 50mm calsil and 75mm hebel. Have come up with a unique design so I can pull it apart and experiment with different types insulation [based on Dino's drawings with some modifications]. Will post photos when it's done.

Thanks again KB for compliment.

Crack report...

So far not cracks any where and have used it everyday since xmas
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-04-2014, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I would like to thank all those that have helped me with my build your assistance had been more than invaluable. I would like to especially thank, Doug, John, Dave, David, Russell, Dennis, sharkey, kb,. Thanks to you all for your time observations, skills and knowledge.

Your build is one of the superb well thought out creations of this forum and deserves a mention as one of the treasure troves after your completion.

Thanks for saying thanks, although I feel that there are many more skilled then I and deserve my thanks also. Thanks again.

This was taken the other night Son bought back a chefs hat and apron from Paris. Look like a dork and I don't think the color is appropriate.
    Nice hat and apron. I also received a chefs hat, less the colors from my buddy for Christmas. What's the point if we can't have fun cooking in our WFO with our dorky hats. That what its all about.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Russell

Simple solution to the weight issue. I have cooked in the oven everyday since Xmas. All on two firings. Whatever I eat had to fit on a butter plate. Only exception was Xmas day and new years eve. But even then I ate not that much more. Lost 12 kg before xmas and am still around the 11kg loss. So all in all doing ok. Freezer is full though.

Tonight I cooked kleftico, now that dish is too die for. Couldn't believe cooking it at 350c for 4 hours, would work when I saw this on tv. It simply melted on your mouth. Was dry in parts next time I will seal the pan more thoroughly and add just a tad more water.

Sorry no photos was starving and it smelt like it wanted to be eaten

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Colin,

Happy New Years to you too. I am not sure a pizza oven is good for your figure. I am always on a "seefood" diet, I see it I eat it...........

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi guys and happy New year. Got the temp up last night and as I write this the oven is still maintaining a temp of 325c cooked a few things today but oven is a bit hot. External surface temp of blanket never got above 45c. With inside temps teaching well over 600c in spots.

I would like to thank all those that have helped me with my build your assistance had been more than invaluable. I would like to especially thank, Doug, John, Dave, David, Russell, Dennis, sharkey, kb,. Thanks to you all for your time observations, skills and knowledge.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-01-2014, 04:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X