X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Nope - Calsil only plus the 75mm Hebel Panel used for hearth.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Isn't it vermicrete under your floor?
    If so you added heaps of water to it when you mixed and laid it.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks David. That is for certain...... Not sure how water gets there as it has always been covered.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

Still struggling getting the floor temp up there.

Getting the water out from the under floor insulation is the hardest and takes the longest. Keep cooking.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Xmas lunch photo's with all the pans in the oven makes cooking Xmas lunch so easy. Just a matter of working out when to put each tray in. Next time I wont have a fire when cooking. Had to watch everything and keep turning regularly. But it was so moist and yummy. Everyone took some home with them. The stuffing balls was left from stuffing the turkey they were a hit and I only just managed to grab one.

The last photo was a what to do with left over vegetables had that tonight with a rack of lamb with Italian crust Vegetable Frittata. What made this was using roasted vegetables and cauliflower with the white sauce, added some Ricotta, and smoked piquillo peppers made this delicious.

Photo 3 is my make shift door wood wrapped in alfoil a piece of hebel a hole for thermometer to pass through as you can see a short pizza firing the previous night at 7pm at night still holding 200c.

Tried cooking 2 loaves of bread one around 280c [to hot] second at 220c was better. I just used a pan not on hearth didn't have a chance to clean floor.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-28-2013, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

am very happy with oven saturation fired it up last night for Pizza cleared eventually taking more logs than I thought 3 small and 3 larger to get it going ok once I had coals. Oven cleared. Son made his pizza, partner made hers. I made mine and dropped it on the bloody floor moral don't try taking pizza inside on a long handled peel.. and make a smaller peel.

I fired it up again after this let it burn like hell until midnight walls surface temp opposite side of fire 380c still not hot enough but sealed up anyway.

Today temp around 280c in the morning made 2 loaves of bread yum. First loaf bit burnt on top second loaf perfect.

Checked the thermocouples at 4pm inside and outside of brick 228c air temp 228c oven nicely saturated. Outside of blanket around 45-50c but it is extremely hot today. Will cook dinner rack of lamb.

Still struggling getting the floor temp up there.

Will fire it again when no fire ban in place and hold temp high for a longer period.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

hey Brickie or anybody else that uses this flour - if you see this I got some wallaby flour today.

Have you tried the Pizza Dough recipe on the pack?. I'm just curious.

Thinking I might make 2 batches Forno style and the one on the packet.
    Hi Colin
    I tried the Wallaby recipe side by side with Forno style, the Wallaby was easier to handle but forno style gave better oven rise. Tipo 00 is what I am trying now, and just bought Laucke Organic unbleached to see how that goes.

Hope you had a great xmas

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

hey Brickie or anybody else that uses this flour - if you see this I got some wallaby flour today.

Wallaby flour is excellent, its all I use now, its just so good.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

David mine is mw 128 the test strip I made at 30mm thick could be broken by hand but required a fair amount of force at 100mm would be very difficult. The sintering idea is a good one.
    Gudday
    Like Davids said 100 mm is a bit unwieldy,you could also go with 30mm and depend on the face of the door to supply the strength.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

128 ilb something.

Have been asking for days sheet for some time. Seems they forget the fewest there website requires a userid.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

David mine is mw 128 the test strip I made at 30mm thick could be broken by hand but required a fair amount of force at 100mm would be very difficult. The sintering idea is a good one.
    So what is the density of the stuff? Do you have a data sheet on it?
    I think a 100 mm panel is way too cumbersome.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    hebel works in the temps I have put it through. Like Davids says its main disadvantage is that its soft. It cracks and chips quite easy. My first door had a ruddy great big crack in it but still worked. I build MK 11 its still going a year later with a chipped edge. I still look at them as temporary till I convinced that I can get a proper working insulated door that doesn't require welding gloves to hold the handles.
    The only two examples that I have seen, in the flesh so to speak, require that. One is aluminium, looks great, light, hot as hell. The other S/Steel, with oven gasket separating the inner and outer. Guess what, the bolts holding it together transmit heat and after a coupla hours, again hot handles.
    At least with my current hebel one the heat doesn't even melt the silastic that holds the hebel to the wood face!
    Now that I have written this down I have an Idea. Perhaps I should hardface the inner surface of the hebel in metal and leave a naked piece on the side, so no heat can transfer. That's the advantage of hebel over FB insulation , no fibres or nasty bits only cement so you can leave some uncovered.
    I might attack this in the new year and make a complete new door to test this, as Im certainly keeping the current door just in case.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

The shiralite would work but would need to be contained. Directly against heat I have enough shiralite left over to try this later as a filler between something. I will construct my door in 2 front half and back: half. I am looking at then containing ceramic tape locked into the 2 halves as a sealer around the door. If that makes sense. The shiitake would need reinforcing in that set up I think.
    Shiitake?? Are we cooking mushrooms now?

There are a number of different Shiralite products with varying densities, strength and insulating properties. You may be lucky enough to have the one that is suitable for this application. Try it and see. It's strength can also be enhanced without altering its insulating properties if it is sintered ( fired to around 1000 C)
    Last edited by david s; 12-21-2013, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X