• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Hi David
    Thanks for that much appreciated. The paver in question is for the decorative arch. Its what I'm doing to it that requires firing again and I need a paver at least 400 x 400. Yes a concrete paver...... well, was simply useless didn't think of that when I picked it up I assumed they were all fired. WELL THAT THOUGHT WAS VERY WRONG.

The pavers I found have been fired at 1100c. Checking with paver manufacturers over the last week not all Clay pavers are fired to that temperature. Since the glaze I am using requires at least 1100c am thinking the Paver I am referring from Claypave being fired at 1100c will in fact withstand another firing so am hoping will serve the purpose I have installed for it.

Fingers crossed

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Colin,
    You need to use a fired clay paver. If it was a cement paver that may be a reason it failed. All clay pavers are fired, otherwise they'd turn back into mud as soon as they get wet. Even a fired clay paver may not be suitable because it has been designed to be walked on not used in an oven. That doesn't mean it is unsuitable, it probably will be ok, but there is no guarantee because the complex mix of ingredients of any clay body used in a brick will not be available to you. Likewise the temperature the brick is fired to is no guarantee of its suitability.The higher it is fired does not necessarily make it more thermally shock resistant in fact the opposite is sometimes the case.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Well I have finally sourced a paver that should be able to be fired so here I go again TAKE 2.

Doing some other finishing touches to WFO this weekend.

Adding some Hebel under the existing Hebel base so that the base thickness is the same size as the rest of the base.

Adding a layer of chook wire for the next coating of Dome render.

If possible a layer or two of Render.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey Craig I might give that a go.

Russel farmed or wild there is a difference.

Leave a comment:

• BOOMERS WFO
    replied

The trick to Vegemite is to spread it really,really thin on toast when you first have it to get use to the taste, not thick like peanut butter.

I use a teaspoon of vegemite when I make gravy for roasts. Adds a fantastic depth to the flavour and colour to the gravy.

Cheers

Craig

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I quite enjoyed the barramundi when I visited Cairns and Port Douglas earlier this year. Almost ate it every night. The SWMBO ate skippy, she is the meat eater.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I don't mind snappierBut wild barramundi ,. Now that is a even more delicious fish.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Colin,

This looks delicious, and (true) snapper is one of my favorite fishes to eat.

thanks!

John

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Thanks Dave. I actually tried Vegemite a few years ago and did not like it. I kept at it though, and quickly learned it is wonderful stuff. I went through the small jar in no time, but haven't replenished it because its $10 for a tiny amount. I especially like it on toast.

Now stock - that is a grand idea and I will definitely give that a go. Thanks!

John
    Hey John

here is the link for that recipe that uses Vegemite.

How many Jars will your daughter be bringing back

Salt and Pepper Snapper with Mustard Emulsion and Charred Cucumber
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-18-2014, 04:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

There was a recipe on master chef Australia using vegemite.last week I believe.part of Heston Bloomfield week 1st or second episode. Will look it up and post when not in car

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

G'day
    Tell her just a small jar. After you find its a bit of an acquired taste ( not like chittlins) you find it makes a great stock. A teaspoon with a pint of water tones it down enough to appreciate.
    Thanks Dave. I actually tried Vegemite a few years ago and did not like it. I kept at it though, and quickly learned it is wonderful stuff. I went through the small jar in no time, but haven't replenished it because its $10 for a tiny amount. I especially like it on toast.

Now stock - that is a grand idea and I will definitely give that a go. Thanks!

John

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Nope just a paver. I thought they were fired. I actually thought it might do that. Mum picked it up it was in 2 pieces by the time they got home it was in 5.

Anyway will work it out. Will just be longer.

Any ideas what 400 x 400 x 50 I could use that can be fired in a kiln. You might be right Dave may have to make it.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-15-2014, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Hi John
    Yes it is caputo pizzeria 00
    Yes it did taste great
    Bloody keystone blew up.arrrrrgggghhhh xx/#=!x bc(_&#+/c y

Back to drawing board. Need to find something 400x 400. That can withstand pottery fitting temps.
    G'day
    What tha &$@@. Was it firebrick like the keystone at the top of the dome?
    Now I think about it you might have to make yourself a pottery piece and actually make and fire that piece.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Colin,

Man, that pie looks delicious! Is that the 00 flour? No rush on the oven, just enjoy it. The keystone is going to look great!

BTW - Took my daughter to the airport last night. She has a stopover in Fiji and will arrive in Brisbane Tuesday morning. Told her she has to bring me back some Vegemite

John
    G'day
    Tell her just a small jar. After you find its a bit of an acquired taste ( not like chittlins) you find it makes a great stock. A teaspoon with a pint of water tones it down enough to appreciate.
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-15-2014, 04:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi John
    Yes it is caputo pizzeria 00
    Yes it did taste great
    Bloody keystone blew up.arrrrrgggghhhh xx/#=!x bc(_&#+/c y

Back to drawing board. Need to find something 400x 400. That can withstand pottery fitting temps.

Your daughter will have a ball.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-15-2014, 05:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X