• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrendanLovesPizza
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply.

I did a bit more research (lazy me) and found the single or double bull-nose bricks through austral bricks site. Will go to a supplier in Sydney soon to check colours etc. It makes for a great decorative arch I think. What temps are you getting at the decorative arch? I really wanted to go down the path of a red ironbark timber curved arch with a decent thermal break for the timber to cope with the high temps. But bullnose brick will do just fine as well.

The Shiralite though, is this just a high temp refractory cement? Did you then mix with brickies sand and render the dome? Or is it a add water and cast type product? Where did you source from? I have already purchased a high temp cement for my build, used it so far to lay the first 5 courses and dome arch. Rather than a home brew mix mortar.

I plan to have a mosaic small tile exterior. Carrara marble tiles. What is this granite you speak of?

Geez that chimney is expensive, may just get a custom plate made up and buy a non-insulated chimney. Yours looks and functions very well though.

Cheers
    Brendan

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by BrendanLovesPizza View Post
    Hey oasis,

Is this your decorative arch, if so where did you source the bullnose bricks from, and where did you source your chimney and chimney base? Brands etc.
    Mate I really like your build and want this style of oven.

Also, why did you render then insulate, then render again?

Cheers for any info.
    Hi Brendan

Yes it is my decorative arch minus the keystone [have had 2 attempts at Keystone and both blew up in the kiln] They are bullnose bricks the same as my house bricks and I purchased enough to build another 2 ovens. I searched for these for quite some time and as it ended up the guy who purchased all the special Nubrick stock operates 5 klms up the road from where I live. He has shit loads of them different colours at his Yard in Melton Victoria. Most brick manufacturers should have bullnose bricks.

The chimney, now this was another monumental quest. You cannot buy these in Aus I imported via Fishpond from the states. all up cost $550. It is the same chimney that Utahbeehiver used is insulated. I cannot remember where but it is discussed in my thread check out page one of the thread and click the links around the time. Fishpond was the cheapest way of getting it into the country shipping was a killer on one quote total cost would have been $1100, I even priced getting something similar made and it would have cost similar.

The first layer on the oven is Shiralite I used this on recommendation from 2 furnace manufacturers. I never understood the concept of insulation then wetting the insulation with the vermicrete. You have a brick dome then loose insulation blanket. For me the shirlaiite locks the dome in place preventing the dome bricks from moving. Consider the heat cool cycle bricks expand and contract. To me it simply made more sense and works a treat. Some say have the blanket first as it is the better insulation. I would say both ways work fine. So I have shiralite, insulation blanket, then my render, then my sealing coat which will be a Granite like render I discovered in my searching.

The flue I used is a Superpro other options are Selkirk or Metalbest I purchased a base plate, the flue is 4', with the cowl.

see page 43 429 on my thread. I checked Fishpond and you can still get the flue for similar prices. Be prepared to wait a while to receive it though.

This is what I ordered. If you go to fish pond and it says it is not available email them I found then if you keep looking you will see them come onto Fishpond you just need to keep looking.

1x Chimney 77806 8 in. x 48 in. Superpro Factory-Built Chimney Length-304-alloy Inner And Outer Walls
    Estimated delivery date: 25th Jul - 8th Aug from USA supplier

$279.00
    1x Chimney 77847 8 in. Superpro Adaptor Plate- Galvanized With Stainless Collar

$79.95
    1x Chimney 77855 8 in. Superpro Rain Cap- Deluxe- Stainless

$142.00

HOPE THIS COVERS YOUR QUESTIONS
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-29-2015, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BrendanLovesPizza
    replied

Hey oasis,

Is this your decorative arch, if so where did you source the bullnose bricks from, and where did you source your chimney and chimney base? Brands etc.
    Mate I really like your build and want this style of oven.

Also, why did you render then insulate, then render again?

Cheers for any info.
    Last edited by BrendanLovesPizza; 01-29-2015, 01:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Steve

I got some thick stuff from a mate. Just need to find practice time will start with mig, work it from there.

Yeah I made a make shift for from Hebel prior to Xmas. Works well, May get some more sheet and do Mark2 door myself as it is already cut. Wish I had done brake before I cut it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I would only offer one suggestion with the welding. Start with practising on thick material and gradually work your way back to the sheet. Welding stainless and aluminium sheet is quite difficult and after watching a bloke do an aluminium welding job for me with a TIG I figured it was quite a skill.

I have just built the brake so projects using it are my next on my list. I was thinking of using it to fold an inner and outer skin for my next door. The original door has lasted 2 years and still works but being MK I it could be improved. It has also been blown off the edge of the oven a few times and is becoming a little less attractive than when it made its debut.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Steve

Nice brake. Your lucky you can weld. I bought a welder 12 months ago (tig, mig and arc its a smoother unit ) had a go at tig first, blew bloody great big holes in scrap SS sheet. Have found a guy at a mens shed that will assist in teaching me. Just need to get there.

Be interested in some pics of door and tools you have made with it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hi Colin

I also built a sheet metal brake to make life easier in making tools and doors and things. It was something that I should have made a decade ago. Am now looking forward to making door MKII since folding an inner and outer section and fitting them over insulation should be much easier and neater.

I used the leftover angle from the lintel above the door in the block base of the oven. I knew it would come in handy one day.

My 35 year old CIGWELD 140 was recently swapped for a small inverter arc welder and it works a treat, weighs 5kg, starts the arc much easier and would thoroughly recommend it if you are thinking of buying one. They are relatively cheap as well. The big green shed has a couple of levels of them.

My goal for the year is to find someone who can teach me to use a MIG/TIG.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Nothing happening down here but will start on the surrounds over the next week.
    Finish render on oven over next 2 days.
    If time, will etch new version of decorative finish.
    Have a go at the high build rendering of the Hebel Base.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Well I decided my 12 piece jigsaw puzzle door was jot going to cut it for cooking the Xmas feast.

So I made a temp door using 50mm hebel block, some ply I had laying around, couple of cheap handles and stainless steel. Only took a couple of hours and will test it over the weekend.

I also made a sheet metal brake to make some tools. Works well. Just need to weld the handle on once I learn how to.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-17-2014, 05:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Russell

One word THANKYOU.

I hope you find it in your heart to return to the forum one day.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Still no joy. Decorative keystone fired, need to pick up and then finish, got some new sails and installed these. Not like Sharkey I get wet.

Now I just need some dedicated weekends. It WILL happen. Started coping some wood I acquired, son got the urge to have a go and hasbroken 2 Bunning block splitters . Returned first one to Bunning they replaced Anne one. Soon split up 3 more blocks handle then split. I returned this to Bunning today and thought that's it and bought a Fiskars x27 $139 had to tip in about $ 37 after price match of 110 less 10% less refund on dud .

Son will be happy. Let's see if he can break this one ?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-26-2014, 04:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Ah, ya...no pool. I guess then my only suggestion is that whatever you do build do without too many right angles. Also, try to avoid lava lamp shapes.

I once ate pizza at a place called Dino's in Miami. Small round table for 4 so when the large pizza arrived we were kind of wondering where the waitress was going to put it. Well the water glasses were the tallest thing on the table, she set the pizza on top. That way they could fit more tables in a small space, perfect for your patio of the new property...

You can do a lot of things here that would cost a fortune elsewhere even if still possible. Things are slowly changing however.

That pic must have been not too long after a storm, otherwise the ocean water is clear as glass.
    Last edited by Lancer; 11-02-2014, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Lancer

Thx but the land only goes as far as the plan indicates. The whole property is only about 12 meters wide.

And

Wow that looks nice, maybe I need to move to Philippines.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Just a thought from experience...

An infinity pool located above the pond or water trap which overlooks the golf course. Maybe a seat from which you could watch the play?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

So where am I up to........?

Still no action.
    Last piece of puzzle still at potter's.
    Been doing lots of other bits and pieces

OH

Partner and I bought our 2nd house this year so may have 2 ovens to build now.
    We will be moving into this one however.

have loaded some pictures and the site plan there . location suggestions needed and welcomed.
    Remember the backyard over looks 1st, 6th and 18th tee of a golf course (I think)
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-02-2014, 12:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X