• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    ............Now I can begin construction around the wfo..............
    Colin,

That is a very beautiful oven . I hope that you don't mean "construction" that would hide that great looking hemisphere .

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi all
    Yippppeeeeeeee, finally finally finished, well sort of. a smidge past 2 years from when I started dome.
    The well sort of , is around a rethink around tdc of decorative arch last weekend. Will do this later.

Now I can begin construction around the wfo.

Decorative arch also needs a clean after rendering. I might install some draws later at top of opening area underneath, but that can wait.

But that's it folks apart from minor detail its done.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-03-2015, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

That looks really good Colin. You have done the hard yards, it would be a pity to compromise the end result for expediency.

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Well I'm closer, rendered the base inside, one coat outside then ran out of hebel high build. picked up 3 bags today finish this weekend have a long one.

Have it painted and finally finished next weekend as they sry wait for a week to cure. Hmmmm to wait or not that I is the question. Nice day Saturday paint Sunday hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Rosie and Steve.

No, you use a texture sprayer to apply and no brushing is required. I hosed it with a soft jet. Although you have given me an idea for next oven. I have 3 buckets left and will be using for next oven in new place and probably for done feature walls in the garden.

I rendered the oven base over the weekend with hebel high build and have 2 more thin costs to apply them on to the wood work around the oven.

Having hassles colour picking what to paint what presently. Either side of oven will be planters, bbq and seating them coming off the right side off the oven base with an oven take on the right.

Still need to tidy up surrounds given up on decorative Katharine for the moment, it can wait until I finish rest of yard.

Any suggestions for colors of walls and base planters seats etc will be welcomed?

Thought about acratex Steve but feel a bit pricy. Rokcote in QLD have a similar product. The guy I spoke with produced a sample for me. It looks quite effective
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-31-2015, 03:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I used Dulux Acratex and it was about $80 for 4 litres. Sounds like you have a winner there!

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

So Colin do you have to wash it to get the flecks to stand out? It is a beautiful shape, I bet that took awhile to be happy with. What you going to do with the left overs? Hmmm, I live in granite country??.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    I like the look of the finish. Is it waterproof and will it cope with the elements? I used a standard render finish and an acrylic coat over that. I seems to be holding up ok.\

What sort of $$ are you talking for that finish?
    Hi Steve

Yes it is waterproof and is meant for outdoors. Was reasonably priced @ $100 for a 25 lt pails. As I noted I bought 4 pails.

It is actually cheaper than some texture wall paint finishes out there where you buy only 4 lt @ over $150 [rippp sneeze offffffffffffffffff].

I only need 2 coats [2mm thickness] should only need 1 pail. Guess I'll have to spray a wall or something with the rest..
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2015, 03:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I like the look of the finish. Is it waterproof and will it cope with the elements? I used a standard render finish and an acrylic coat over that. I seems to be holding up ok.\

What sort of $$ are you talking for that finish?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Guess what?

Managed to get 4 25kg buckets of the finish I actually wanted. What an ordeal that was. I contacted the supplier in China a bloke with an English sounding name [Steve Egell] he was quite helpful but put me onto the guy and company I had been conversing for 2 years.

Go figure. But he organised a discussion with the owner

As I have it he had 4 buckets left so I got the lot. I have enough of the stuff for 5 ovens [only need it for this one and the next. But might use it for other purposes.

It will give me the granite finish I was after and is actually better than the original sample I had.

Last 2 photos below arrrrhhhhh oven finally oven rendered time for a beer.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2015, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Nice to here from you both. I may have to import the product from China I contacted a supplier and he sent an email back telling me to contact the organisation I had been dealing with since I started the oven.

Ironic, so now I will have to sweet talk the guy to get 2 buckets when there minimum order is 1000kg.

Hmmmmmmmmm aim was to finish on 3rd anniversary David until this hiccup.

Cheers guys

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Colin, don't be in too much of a rush...
    I'm with David. Besides, the longer you take to finish your oven the greater the chance you have to get it 'just right.' Plus, the greater the chance I beat you finishing mine

John

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Colin,
    Don't be in too much of a rush. Wait a few months and you could finish the oven on its third anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Damn
    I have taken so long to finish oven, the finish coat I wanted to use is no longer available from the supplier, as he is no longer stocking the product. He stopped stocking in new year and doesn't have any left

I guess back to the drawing board.
    Was going to be able to do this weekend.

Arrrrgh

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Add water just like normal render. It is an insulation but does also add some thermal mass. I measured the oven outside temp fully fired at around 120c as I started curing after putting this layer in place. I wouldn't use wood as a decorative arch as it still gets some what hot towards the top of the arch. Yes I used High temp mortar too not home brew. I got the shiralite from Fire Brick and Refractory in Sunshine West.

PM me re Granite its still my secrete until I reveal [mainly because the owner is going to install for free].

The Chimney was actually reasonable as I wanted one 1200mm length. In this country they only come in 900mm lengths [unless you get it specially made and this comes at a cost] so you need to use two lengths giving a join in the middle. I did not want this join and I wanted length at least 1200m to get above the shade sail which is cream. If I purchased 2 double skinned 900mm lengths it worked out to a much higher cost than what I bought by about $200 and I would have wasted 600mm. as you see there is a reason for everything.

The guy I got my bullnose bricks from bought Austral entire stock of special bricks. But what I didn't tell him was they were beginning to manufacture the bullnose bricks I used on my house again as they began manufacturing the standards again as they are very popular.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-29-2015, 04:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X