X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Colin,

What about this place, they have splits that are 25mm or tiles that are 38mm.
    http://www.darleyfirebrick.com.au/bricks.html

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi all

New oven not that far away. Will be almost creating the exact same oven in our new home. Only difference is that I will be having a large base that will store at least 2 tonne of wood. with the hearth the same height as surrounding table. Similar to Litekeeper build. the oven will be identical to the current one as I really like the finish and the Japanese Kanji theme.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Russell nice to hear from you. Same place or flour, taylors lakes delicatessen. Only reason I am not using Caputo is I don't want to have to move 25 kg of flour I 4 weeks when we move.

My mothers pottery group wont help as it is a small concern. I will Keep checking with various refractory suppliers. should have thought more clearly when I bought the original 75mm thick fire brick tiles as they had more than I needed.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Colin,

Good to see you post. Keep everyone posted on your new flour source. Still from Italy so I suspect you are paying a premium over your already high So. Hemi costs. Look at kiln shelves, they are available up to 1" thick. Check where your mum does her ceramics for local pottery supplies.

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-10x20x1rect.aspx

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Ok all in Aus. I am looking for 230 x 230 x 75mm [minimum size, thickness is the most important to me] tiles. Surely someone in this country has some. I need at least 25 happy to buy 50 [just in case I move again lol :-) ]

I just don't want to have to use 50mm and 25 mm thick tiles to make up the thickness for the hearth, for the next oven.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Trying a new flour between now and when we move to new place. {yep need to build a new oven arrrrrgh]. No point in buying 25 kg of Caputo. Even going to try fresh yeast. So stay tuned that will be interesting as I do not know how to prepare. I am trying different pizzeria flour from Italy as I could buy it in 5 kg amounts.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hey daveskis

Sorry guys have been absent work is killing me slowly.

The hebel is fine I used 150mm thick blocks, next oven I wont use as thick blocks as it is unnecessary. I have seen another build here elsewhere [on this forum] using 75m blocks it all works. Strength is not an issue they build houses with this stuff.

Hey Russell was great meeting in person. Hopefully one day I will get to Utah.

Still have to post my finishing photos backyard is now completely completed Russell. I will take some photos and post soon. As I said work is killing me. bloody NDIS federal government should be shot drawn and quartered.

It is also cheaper not reo no having to fill. I will admit I painted mine inside and out [outside is a render finish this is a necessity.

Leave a comment:

• daveskis
    replied
    Russell
    Woops Checked my list of places skied and it was Brighton not Snowbird. I know Snowbird is in the same area. We were staying in Park City so skied mostly in that area. A couple of our pommie mates ventured down to Alta.
    Cheers Dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Dave,

I am partial to Snowbird since I have been on their instructor staff close to 25 years. I teach both snowboarding and skiing so it keeps me young and active for an old guy.

Leave a comment:

• daveskis
    replied
    Hey Russell i have had a good troll through some of those. I think the obvious conclusion seems to be this......it, the Hebel is so light in weight, therefore it must be low in strength. Anyway I am slave to mine now. I brought the house and i need to make do with what i have possibly. This Forum impresses me. I see Colin was very impressed with your build. I must look that up now.
    BTW i have been to your wonderful state. I skied about four years ago at Deer Valley, Canyon, Park City and Snowbird(skiing was sensational here). Spent a day in Salt Lake City as well.
    Cheers Dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I happen to see Colin and the oven about a month ago. His oven base is very solid and he is planning on building a second oven using the same hebel material. Also, Alex (eastern Europe area) did his build out a similar material called yutong. There have been a handful of other southern hemi builders who have use Hebel for their bases and I have not seen or heard any negative feedback.

Leave a comment:

• daveskis
    replied
    Colin
    So the Hebel stayed up. Didn't see any further discussion re relative strength of Hebel. I have a Firebox next to a Fireplace constructed with Hebel. I am thinking over doing the same build that you did for 39"/40" oven. Of course my fear is the whole thing could come down on some poor unsuspecting G kid. Doesn't bare thinking about. After your initial hesitation you seem to have not looked back.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    I agree especially when you want to do stuff outside. On the positive side lived in Brisabne for nearly 4 years hated the lack of distinct seasons, even if in Melbourne they are all in one day LOL

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Get out of that dismal Melbourne winter (from an ex Melbournian)

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi

I was honoured to have the pleasure of Russell [Utahbeehiver] dropping in when he visited Melbourne recently. It was great meeting the man [and his lovely partner] that has in my humble opinion built the best oven on this site. That copper finish is simply astonishing. Russell is also the only one to see my finished project. I will post photos when I get some time to post.

Again Russell it was a privilege meeting the man himself and I hope to visit you in the future. and I owe you dinner. Thanks and say hi to J.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X