X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by benguilford View Post
    Looking great Colin!
    Thanks Ben, I tell you though I am bloody sore. Getting that brick to brick fit is Damn hard work fine tuning each brick. Up down backwards and forwards.

I hope the expectant father appreciates what I've done with his bricks.

Brickie I hope to dock next weekend.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-12-2013, 05:49 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

That's a good looking dome. Great to see it all working out as planned.
      Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Thanks Sharkey

and thanks for your assistance throughout the build. Esp. around that annoying triangle.
        __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
        Hey I had a brain fart today and am thinking of polishing the inside of the dome and the floor or maybe just the floor. If I can work out how I might get in the dome to do it, stop safety glasses from fogging up. But then again .............

Not sure how or what tools to use though. Floor not an issue I have an orbital sander for floor, dome a bit harder I believe I could only use a 3" sander, grinder not sure. Any ideas of how I might achieve this and what to use?.

and by all means please try and talk me out of it
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-13-2013, 05:46 AM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

That is an oven worthy of high praise, beautiful brick work, I cannot wait to see what you do with the outside.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            That is an oven worthy of high praise, beautiful brick work, I cannot wait to see what you do with the outside.
            Thanks Chip for the vote of confidence. Its taken a while but must still be patient.

Sorry to disappoint but it wont be as elaborate as some. I viewed Gulf's build the other day and his is finish is amazing. Yours is amazing however my plan Chip is to stick with the igloo look. Not the dog house. Having some challenges figuring out the BBQ position with WFO being so close to the Corner but will worry about that later.

I am finishing the outer decorative arch with the same brick as my home, maybe with a larger central brick which I will Coat with a rust look finish that I have used on cement pots.

I am following a commercial oven builder's advice and using shiralite then the blanket, render and then finishing with a granite look finish coat.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

IMHO, leave the inside of dome as is, when you fire it will get sooted, then clear, get sooted, etc. You could smooth off any high edges on the "floor" that might catch a peel though. Nice build, excellent taper arch.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Colin,

IMHO, leave the inside of dome as is, when you fire it will get sooted, then clear, get sooted, etc. You could smooth off any high edges on the "floor" that might catch a peel though. Nice build, excellent taper arch.
                Thanks Russell

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated.

I do have a tip I got from Doug to break the soot clear soot cycle. Apparently Doug's oven is always clean. How he does it goes like this. Heat oven to pizza temp, cook pizza, before closing down wfo, after pizza cook, re heat oven to pizza temp, remove fire when dome is clear, seal oven with door, sit around fire with a nice wine [I added this bit ]. Oven stays clean you can then cook over next however many days.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

I agree with Russell on there not being any need to grind the inside of your oven. Spend as much time as you like, but I can just about guarantee you won't be looking at it once it's complete.

As to Doug's "tip" - that's pretty much just the way it works... The oven gets sooted every time you light a fire, clears when you get it hot enough, and stays clean until you light another fire. Wash, rinse, repeat
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Hey I had a brain fart today and am thinking of polishing the inside of the dome and the floor or maybe just the floor.
                    I have 3 questions.
                    Why, why and why?
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      I have 3 questions.
                      Why, why and why?
                      Hi Allan

too answer each question.

Just a thought, just a thought, just a thought

Seriously

I guess no body else has...because I can.. I have spent a lot of time Admiring Gianni's soap stone and it just looks very clean. So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean. As for the dome hmmmmm it would be
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                        So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean.
                        The fire cleans the floor.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Floor will expand at different rate so anything you make smooth today might not be smooth after few big fires

Comment

Its not a beauty contest
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              Its not a beauty contest
                              oh but it is

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                Its not a beauty contest
                                At least not the way I did mine. Still this build is a thing of beauty. Bruce
                                Link to my build here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X