Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new build in werribee

Hi Dave and thanks

I hadn't thought about it that way. I actually screwed the base on. I was thinking that i need to shim about 1/2", so i was going to put plastic over the arch form in the hope that when i remove the shims it just falls down and would be easy to remove.

Now thinking that wont work might have to rejig the arch form.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Lots of way to skin the cat, chose what works for you and your situation. You just need a way to release the form after the arch is set and not break or damage the arch.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well have ordered calsil board. Picking up on Friday. Was that a difficult task, nearly as challenging as 75mm tiles, most have 25mm, wanted 50mm, anyhow found and ordered. I picked up just a few arch bricks 75/65 and 75/51 to play around with combinations to make a 1metre dome.

Got to thinking about a dome form (half circle) attached to a lazy Suzanne like device for dome construction, don't ask why just can't get oven details out of my head.

I have also sorted some good quality arch bricks for a good price.

Getting there, just waiting on saw mods
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

With the 16" saw you have you can do any any you want for your arch bricks. There is a software called Angelizer, it's free to download ("www.generaltools.com"). Hope I don't get in trouble by the mods for posting a link. It helps you determine the taper of the arch bricks based on the radius of the arch, size of brick and mortar joint size.
          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM. Reason: correct link
          Russell

Comment

hi and thanks Russell

I have downloaded that software previously had hassles trying too get head around it. i decided to by enough arch bricks to well, basically play. I am hoping i have an answer in the next 3 days to my challenge.

The theory is that if you form an arch at one metre wide [internal] then raise it then spin it around [visually] that would form the dome. That will give me the combination of 75/65 and 75/51 bricks needed to form the dome.

its a only a theory so while waiting for the brick saw too arrive then i can play until i work the bloody combination out.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Collin,

I am not sure what you mean by spinning arch around but here are a sequence of pictures I did to do a tapered inner arch. A tapered inner arch allows the brick course of the dome to tie-in to the arch with approximately the same arc angle as the dome, hence less custom and complex brick cutting. The first picture show how you can cut brick for the arch (you won't need this if you are buying pretapered bricks). The second picture, far left brick, show the angles for a inside taper of the arch the matches the arc of the dome. These angles can be determine by your IT (see picture 4)or go to Gianna Focacia's thread he uses a dome template to help determine angles. The third picture, far right brick show a template I made from the Anglelizer program to make the arch bricks from regular bricks. I know it is difficult to sometimes visualize, keep looking at various builds with tapered inside arches and the light bulb will come on. Also look at Karangi Dude's build, he was one of the first to build a tapered inner arch. Good luck.
              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM. Reason: typos
              Russell

Comment

Russell that is a very well explained, I wish I had taken more pics of my arch bricks when I built mine so that I could show the students at my workshops.
                Last edited by Karangi Dude; 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM.
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Yeah the xanthorrea look great
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Thanks Russell

The spinning arch contraption was a device i had been thinking of. basically it is a wooden half circle with 90 deg wings [smaller] for stability on an pivot that spins around inside the dome. It is shaped to whatever dome shape you might be looking at eg. hemispherical, flat flatter emulating the same shape as inner dome interchangeable with the it. I was thinking about this contraption as I was working the combination of 63 and 51 arch bricks to build the dome when layed out i thought if i could stand that up and spin it around.

I looked at angelizer but really coudn't work it out. Actually no inclination to work it out as it didnt appear to be able to put in mutliple brick sizes besides I worked in Info Tech in a previous life makes me sick now but i might revisit.

Really it was just my imagination running rampant as i cannot get this oven out of my head i am living and breathing it to the exclusion of all else.

Thanks again Russell I will use that post and method and i hope i have cleared the spining arch contraption.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

If I get this right, this is really a different type of a IT made to a 1/4 circle plywood disc. This is how Gianni Focacia did his inner arch. See thread link

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/octoforno-7122-7.html
                      Russell

Comment

Hi Russell

Yes thats right but not a quarter but a half circle on a lazy Suzanne as we call them over here.
                        If usnure its a device that people put in the middle of the table and then put food onit so that everyone can spin it around to bring various items closer.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-15-2013, 02:07 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

On the way home from work took a detour and picked up my calsil board and can now at least do something this weekend.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-15-2013, 02:15 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Good luck, I notice in your earlier post that you already built an IT, how come you are not using it vs the lazy susan idea?
                            Russell

Comment

Hi Russell.

The lazy suzzane idea was as well as the IT. All it was was a thought i had while mucking around on the ground with arch bricks to find the combination needed to form my dome using the 51mm and 65mm arch bricks to minimise mortar joints.

The idea was more along the lines for this purpose, to assist a lower dome, as someone told me that a lower dome is better for pizza cooking and FB kits also use a lower dome. It would be slower as you would lay 2 bricks either side of the dome then use the IT to set to those bricks.

As i said only a thought [at this point]
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi

Well after months of googling i finally stumbled on a product i have been searching for. I have previously mentioned that I want to finsih the dome in a granite look render. I have played with Granite fines and render to no avail.

Well i stumbled onto a company by fluke that does exactly that, Michael sent me a sample [the little lady in her wisdom put the mail where it is meant to go other than the table where new mail usaully goes, and i only noticed it this morning -it arived 3 days ago Hmmmm] expecting a little sample [ like paint samples ] i was surprised that the sample when it arrived was nearly A4 size.

I must say i am impressed it matches really well to other features in the garden and if i get the oven finished the owner said he would apply it free of charge if he can take some marketing photos.

Where's my BRICK SAW

I know you all know what Calsil board looks like but i am trying to photograph every ridiculous step of the process. So you will get some photographs that probably aren't needed.
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X