new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new build in werribee

Wow that looks terrific! It is amazing what can be done these days.

I know it is a little off subject but a few years ago we had our windows replaced. We have an older home (built in 1930) and I was afraid that anything short of wood frame windows would look out of place. The price difference between wood frame and vinyl windows was over $10K (unstained!). To make a long story short we found a company that does a simulated wood finish on a vinyl window that matched the color and grain of our window sills and trim better than I would have ever been able to achieve trying to match the stain myself.

Looks like you are working with something that is considerably more natural than that. What kind of material is that? Do you have any product data to share?

Regards,
    AT

Comment

Hi AT

I will ask my contact if he has anything [product specification], all i know is that it is a cementious product similar to render this is all I have on it. On the sample the thickneess looks around 1 maybe 2 mm. I have asked if it is possible to polish the coating to look like, polished Granite if it can i will use it on the floor in the vent area as it will be substantially cheaper than a real piece of Granite.

__________________________________________________ ____________

The Stone coatings need to be seen to be fully appreciated. Better than render in every way, you can have the look and feel of real stone to give your project that classic, natural look……
      Made from REAL STONE
      FLEXIBLE, so it will never crack like render
      Will stick to ANY surface – brick, blueboard, foam, wood, glass, metal, even plastic.
      Can be used as a coating for interior and exterior walls and we can supply all of our mouldings, fencers, planters and letterboxes with solid stone coating.
      Stone coatings are sold in 20kg tubs ready-mixed. The stone can be easily applied using either a trowel or with one of our special spray guns. Safe, non-toxic and easy to use, get the edge on your competition by offering your clients a superior stone finish for the same price as boring old topcoat.
      As it is not possible to fully appreciate our range of colours and textures on a website, just email us and we can send out some information and a free sample pack with our full range of colours and textures.
      Available in a wide range of colours and textures in both smooth stone and rough granite finishes……
      __________________________________________________ _____________
      I am looking at getting some idea of other options from the company over the next week.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-16-2013, 02:05 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi Am bored but playing came up with this combination of 65 and 51 arch bricks for the dome.

Need to allow for minimum mortar joint. THis gives an internal oven height of 485mm for 1 metre internal oven. With some spacers it should close the dome at that central brick. Seems to work 2 dimensionally in theory but i know 3 dimensionally that wont necessarily work but at least it gives me an idea.

The combination is 3x63, 1x51, 2x63, 1x51, 5x63. I will be using 65 mm bricks so will need to adjust a little when i get those, but at least this gives me and idea. 12 rows in total all i need to do then is cut each side of the brick [whatever that is called] to shape and size to get rid of inverted V's as i go up with each row. Sounds good in theory in practice i guess will be quite different.

Next to do is work out inner arch and cut out the Calsil Board.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey Russell [ utahbeehiver ] if you see this post.

I need to ask you a question. In the early part of your build you said

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          I was able to pull up the foamglass and CaSi board after work and lay down the fireclay and sand mix. Reinstalled insulation and brick floor and base ring of dome. Did learn I was glad I numbered all the bricks and take a picture for orientation. Without them I would still be out there trying to piece things together. Made the mistake when laying the sand mix to over moisten the concrete so the notched trowel just smeared the fireclay/sand mix. Work other areas then came back. Mix almost set in some areas and sloppy smear in in others.

Going to start the inner arch later this week based on Karanga Dude and GianniF builds.

Russell
          It sounds as though the Fireclay/sand mix went on your hearth then the foam glass and calsil, then the floor. Am i reading this right?

I thought that the sand fireclay went under the floor to ensure it is level and the calsil board in my case sits straight on the hearth or have i got this completely wrong? Have read the FB plans and it isn't necessarily clear. I will go and look at Doug's build but am a little confused.

Also with your floor layed and your first course.

Was the first course mortared to the calsil or just each side of the brick and i assume it isnt mortared to the internal floor as i have notice some put in cardboard around the floor the create a small expansion gap.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-16-2013, 10:53 PM.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
            You read this right, fire clay and sand between concrete hearth and foamglas. I found that I did not need to level between foamglas and CaSi or between CaSi and floor bricks once I got the foamglass level with the concrete hearth. I did not mortar the internal floor and I also did "not" mortar the first course to the CaSi, it is free floating. The card board spacer is for an expansion gap. If you go this way, be sure to duct tape this area during your build. It keeps mortar from going into this area. There have been reports of other builders who have had dome cracks due to expansion gap filling up with mortar.

Goodluck
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi

Thanks Russell for the clarification .

I checked Doug's build and noticed he used fire clay sand and cement under the insulation bricks, and fireclay/sand under the floor.

So i am assuming it is all about getting the floor level and is not needed if everything is level.

Since i have a level hebel hearth and large calsil boards as long as the tiles are level then i should not need to use anything would that be the consensus?

Simply mortar the sides of each first course brick going around the floor.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

If you need to adjust your tiles on top of the CaSi use a dry mix only of sand and fire clay. CaSi and water do not like each other.
                Russell

Comment

Hi Russell

thanks for that. A quick question 50/50 mix of the 2?
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

I am consulting on a barrel oven and we are using Hebel we are gluing it down to the slab with Hebel glue then gluing the insulation board with the same glue just to hold it all in place.
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Hi Doug.

Interesting, have you done this yet?

I was thinking about that today at work as i have a lot of hebel adhesive left and was thinking about doing similar even after Russell's advice that it can float.

The thing i am wrestling with currently is.... should i seal the hebel as i have noticed it has a tendancy to absorb water [eg. condensation]. Since Hebel is my hearth i have sealed underneath before fixing it in place. Not sure if i should seal it under the calsil board, or do what you are doing with the Barrel Vault you consulting on.

Might aquiesce to your expertise when you see this message. Whats your view of tiles to calsil 50/50 or some other combination.

Dave [Cobblerdave] you have a fair grasp of Hebel and its properties what are your thoughts here..............
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-19-2013, 04:58 AM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

50/50 fireclay/sand is what I used as a leveling medium only. I never intended to have a bond between concrete and insulation. Not that the hebel adhesive won't work if you want to fasten the CaSi to the concrete slab but not sure how the adhesive will work as a leveling medium. Like I said, lots a ways to skin the cat. Good luck.
                        Russell

Comment

Colin,

Yes the hebel is absorbent but so is the firebrick, you just have to make sure that you keep the rain off until you have finished and sealed the oven.
                          We are doing the oven now if it ever stops raining, like your oven we are using hebel and insulating board there should not be a problem with levelling, but we will use a 50/50 mix when we bed down the hearth, does that all make sence I hope so.
                          BTW we are enclosing the oven similar to mine so it will stay nice and dry, as I said it bloody rains a lot up here in the sub-tropics.
                          Last edited by Karangi Dude; 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM.
                          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Thx Russell and Doug

Doug

I know Coffs well as I VolunteerAlways
                            an organistion where HO is based there. called Dads in Distress Support Services.

Thanks again

Im honored Your Build I See As Perfection So Your Advice Is always Welcomed
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                              All hebel cal sil and firebrick absorb water making it hard to level with fireclay sand and water mix . Use ordinary table margarine rubbed on the surfaces so they don't absorb water and make your leveler hard to work. It'll just burn off later. It's important to make sure the edges of you brick/tile touch before lowering them into position. Pushing them together will only result in the leveler getting caught between them and resulting in gapes.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave

Another Question For Anybody

Is There A Need For calsilBoard undert The Vent Area, And If Not What Can Be Substituted?
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X