Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Oasis -
    Looking good. I responded to your post over in the calculator thread. Looks like you are on your way.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
      You need to cut that front handle off, when the blade grabs a brick it will drag the table and your hand through the blade, zing.......

Without the handle you wont be tempted to hold the front.

Hi Allan

Are you referring to the blue handle on the tray or the Brick Saw handle?

I am actually looking at a way of clamping the brick to the stops.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks one and all for the comments and advice.

A jig on steriods hmmmmmm [hope WADA dont hear about that] I gave my mate the brief, 6 months later there it is, now i have to get my head around all the angles and three dimensions, whats doing my head in is the fact im using tapered bricks which sit on an angle on the jig.

I am making a few tweaks to the tray. Yes am going to paint it, add some nylock nuts, wing nuts for easier adjustments, get rid of a few sharp edges attach some rubber, clamping mechanism for smaller bricks, brickie has suggested removing the handle [thinking thats a good idea as i found it awkward anyway was easier to bypass it].

Russell the blade i ordered was a slotted blade only $90, the blade on the saw now has only 2 mm left on it got it cheap from Tradline Tools here is Aus it has a 15mm segment height.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
          Oasis -
          Looking good. I responded to your post over in the calculator thread. Looks like you are on your way.

Hi Deejayoh

Thanks for the the clarification and yes am on my way finally just so happens i am away for most weekends until beggining of May.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
            Hi Allan

Are you referring to the blue handle on the tray or the Brick Saw handle?

I am actually looking at a way of clamping the brick to the stops.
            I am, doesnt matter if you clamp or not, Ive seen so many brick saws drag the brick through with frightening speed, you will lose body bits before you can say wh.............
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Allan thanks for clarifying.

So, no front handle.

You hold the brick against the stop and push through the blade letting the saw do the cutting. Is that it.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Let the saw do the cutting, no forcing the brick through, if you think the brick is cutting way too slowly suck it up, or buy a good blade.
                A good blade can be had off Ebay for about $90, I bought a Huskvarna branded blade for about that price and it cut twice as quick as the cheapy that came with the saw.

Cutting speed is all down to the amount of diamond in the tungsten matrix that makes up the cutting edge, the more diamonds, all man made of course, the quicker the cut.

Keep your hands on the side of the sliding table out of the line of cut.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Keep your hands on the side of the sliding table out of the line of cut.
                  Thanks Allan

i assume i'm holding the brick to stabilise it while cutting? unless the clamp mechanism works .........
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Thanks Allan

i assume i'm holding the brick to stabilise it while cutting?
                    All depends on how much you value your fingers I guess?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Allan

so the brick just sits there no hands. except on outside of tray.

What stops the brick from flying off, vibrating, feeling im being a little thick here.

I know the blade rotates forward forcing the brick down onto tray.

Hope i'm getting this. I have used a brick saw before but not with half bricks and Paving are a little larger in size.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

As Dave said before, you need a rubber mat.
                        The brick just sits there by the force of the blade the back stop and the mat, once the blade has made contact the brick really cant go anywhere.
                        The only direction the brick can go is forwards, and at great speed if the blade grabs.

If the brick grabs the whole motor and blade can lift up ejecting the brick out the back, without hopefully your bits too.

Diamond blades dont apologize on the way through.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi All

Have done mods to brick saw tray, Russell, changed from roids to growth hormones. . Will post photos tomorrow.

Has been too hot here in Melbourne so I just prettied tray up, before I begin cutting. Added rubber base I obtained from Clark Rubber, painted it to protect from water.

Allan (brickie in Oz) am leaving handle on, but have decided mucking around with tray that its easier holding the side. Handle is useful for carrying the tray around.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi all

I have a question for the thermocouple experts out there.

I have ordered a infrared thermometer that comes with a thermocouple.

What i was wondering is - can stainless steel tubes [small diameter say 5mm] be incorporated into the dome shell in various places eg. top side half way into brick, so that a thermocouple could be inserted to get temperature at various points.

Can any of you see this working [without heat loss] and would it be accurate as obvuiously the tube will have air around it but i was looking at a threaded cap.

Obviously i would need a fixed Thernocouple in the base to read temperature between insulation and floor due to the distance of [position] unless positioned near the outer wall.

Hoping this makes some sense.

Should i post this question elsewhere?
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Yes, I use a stainless steel sleeve around mine to protect it. But make sure that the probe does not touch the sleeve.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Colin just been reading the saw detail.........that front handle mmmmm not so sure. Is it in line with the blade or below the blade path?
                                Cheers
                                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                                X