X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Colin,

Very nice cuts, I see a rival in the making.
    Now now Russell there's no rivalary happening this end. I've learnt from the Masters from all those that went before. I am only implementing what you and doug, gianni hendo [god bless him] etc. and all the others have done and evolved the art of building WFO.

Thanks for the compliment but i just hope i can do justice to all those that took oven building to a new level.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
      Looking good. Happy to hear my math is working!
      Hi Dee,

I keep looking at your avatar with familiarity? Aren't you also a member of "Coffeegeeks". If so I've enjoyed your posts there as well.

Comment

As much as I try and make latte art, I just don't have the technique down. But I sure appreciate those who can!
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Colin,
          From my experience as you lay your course the mortar joints add a variable that will affect your dry fit. What fit before seems to grow. You may need make adjustments on the fly. I would cut 5-6 bricks lay them then make adjustments as needed for the next batch.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
            Hi Dee,

I keep looking at your avatar with familiarity? Aren't you also a member of "Coffeegeeks". If so I've enjoyed your posts there as well.
            Nope, not me there. I do geek out about coffee - but I'm not really active on any of the forums. That was my latte art effort tho. At one point, success was rare enough that I would take a picture when a latte turned out. Now I can do it pretty regularly
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Russell,
              Spot on, I'm finding every 5or6 you need to allow for what I'll call "mortar creep"
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Colin,
                From my experience as you lay your course the mortar joints add a variable that will affect your dry fit. What fit before seems to grow. You may need make adjustments on the fly. I would cut 5-6 bricks lay them then make adjustments as needed for the next batch.
                Thanks Russell

I will keep an eye on it. I have cut some 4mm spacers and will be using a small 4 mm tile float to apply mortar to each brick in the hope that i end with consistent joints. In theory it sounds great i guess i will have to wait in practice and see what happens but will definatley keep my eye on that one.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi All

I have a question re thermal Break. I am considering a 100mm x 50mm x 3mm stainless steel square tube, filled with Calsil Board outside the inner arch. Similar to Russell build [Utahbeehiver].

1. is 3 mm thick enough [that is the thickest i can obtain]
                  2. stuffing it with calsil board will that achieve anything.
                  3. is it necessary
                  4. 304 or 316 rated

my oven has 50mm insulation and then 75mm firebrick so i need to maintain this total height. Not sure at this point how to achieve this.

After talking with Allan [Brickie in oz] he insulated everything between oven entry and inner arch so that the two effectively never meet.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Hi All

I have a question re thermal Break. I am considering a 100mm x 50mm x 3mm stainless steel square tube, filled with Calsil Board outside the inner arch.
                    The heat will just travel down the walls of the tube?
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Using steel as a thermal break is counterproductive it's conductivity (k- W/mK) is around 80, stainless is actually a lot better at 16, but compared to fire brick at 1.4, which is actually a pretty good insulator, you are not insulating if using steel.try 6:1 vermicrete at a k value of 0.12 A small break of about 10mm of this works well and more even better.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Not this again...

you can't apply the heat transmission rates for solid steel to a tube. Yes, you want to use stainless, and a stainless tube will transmit far less heat that firebrick of the same dimension because the effective transmission area of the tubing is less than 1/8" vs. 2.5 inches of firebrick.

I have a stainless rectangular tube (3/4" x 1 1/2" IIRC ) that sits on IFB in my entry. The temps drop dramatically between the oven floor and the soapstone that sits on the other side of the tube. I can check next time I fire up the oven, but IIRC - it's over a hundred degrees lower.

Exposed vermiculite in the oven sounds like a bad idea to me
                        Last edited by deejayoh; 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM.
                        My build progress

Comment

Point taken but 3mm tube is pretty thick and conductive, wouldn't a thinner one be better? I make my thermal break using vermicrete between the outside of the entry and the outer decorative arch. At that position it does not get hot enough to destroy the Portland, if further in I would use calcium aluminate and vermiculite.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                            Exposed vermiculite in the oven sounds like a bad idea to me

Both vermiculite and perlite are good for up to 1100C and when mixed with the appropriate cement, depending on the temperature they will be subjected to, perform ok from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Both vermiculite and perlite are good for up to 1100C and when mixed with the appropriate cement, depending on the temperature they will be subjected to, perform ok from my experience.
                              I should say, my comment was mostly based on appearance and composition. I'm sure it is fine in an arch, but it's crumbly and stains. I wouldn't want it on my floor.

Agree a thinner walled tube is better. I think I used 16 gauge or something like that. 304 or 316 doesn't matter. IIRC That is mostly about workability, and you aren't going to do much but cut it to length
                              My build progress

Comment

I agree the stainless looks better and would be more durable for the floor. The downside is that it is quite expensive and can't be used easily in a curved arch. i use 5:1 vermicrete and when compressed at its surface like you would when pointing a brick joint, does not leave a crumbly surface.

Colin, if you already have the stainless section then use it, otherwise consider getting one or fabricating it in thin stuff (0.55 mm usually) or do the cheap version of vermicrete.

Comment

Working...
                                X