new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Gee thanks guys didn't think it would spark that.

But very interesting advice. David, sorry mate dont like the idea of vermiculate break i did notice you commented on that option on another thread. My reasoning is Russell used the stainlees steel option and deejayoh did also, my reasoning was as Deejayoh noted around neatness and aesthetics.

I haven't bought it yet. you can only get tube at 80 x 40, 100 x 50, 50 x 50 @ 3mm or i think the guy said 1.5mm is available too. Shit i wanted 5mm now i'm being told .5 mm. ????

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

Agree a thinner walled tube is better. I think I used 16 gauge or something like that.
    How thick is 16 guage?

I was concerned that thinner would WARP for those that used stainless has anyone experienced any warping?

By the way it's not that dear but i have to buy 1 metre minimum, 100 x 40 is $56 50 x 50 $28 for 304. I didn't get a price on 316, but will use that if its not that much dearer.

No comment made on stuffing it with calsil board is there any reason not too?

Have also loaded photos of the last couple of cuts on the base.

I have also finally cut the calsil board to size and decided to terminate it for now at the front of the arch was going to run it all the way out to front arch but am concerned about that as the oven will not be covered thus open to the weather. So looking for alternative for the landing in vent area. Thinking of finishing with a slab of Polished Granite....With probably the 75mm tiles under it cemented to the hebel. Does anyone think this will work ok?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-31-2013, 12:31 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

"No comment made on stuffing it with calsil board is there any reason not too?"

I presume it would be sealed so air won"t be moving through it, but stuffed with insulation would be better than not.
      Heat will travel from one side of the pipe to the other by convection, but there will also be considerable heat travelling from one side to the other by radiation, both of which would be considerably reduced by the insulation The thicker the walls of the pipe are, the more heat will travel there by conduction, so a thin walled pipe would be the better option. If using a pipe you won't get any expansion joint advantage as the pipe is not flexible.
      Last edited by david s; 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Colin,
        I did put a piece of 316 ss rectangular tubing as a thermal break in the floor as you know. I happen to find this tubing at a surplus resturant supply store. It was leg on a damaged SS prep table. I picked up for $5. Most commercial restaurant prep equipment is high quality SS. Might check a boneyard of a surplus restuarant supply store as a source. I cannot say if you pay $50 for your tubing if the cost warrant the benefits but it looks nice.

Just a tip, as you build your dome and stagger your brick joints place your best work on the back half. This is the only real visable part when you are done. IE, if the smaller brick was on the next course up I would move it towards the front half. Make all your corrections and odd size brick adjustments on the front half. Then it looks like the whole dome is perfect when people peek in when you are cooking pizza!!!
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looked it up I used 0.5" x 1.5" x 0.065" 304 stainless and it was $12. I know stuff is dear in Oz, but $50? I ordered from onlinemetals.com, and I know they are expensive compared to local shops.

the calsil stuffing is not necessary, air is a fine insulator for narrow spaces.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

In Australia we have virtually no manufacturing sector, almost everything is imported. We are further away from most of our suppliers and freight charges are horrendous. Added to that competition is smaller because of our lower population and everyone wants to be a millionaire. This means that we pay way more for stuff than you would in the US. I paid $8 for a 375 bottle of beer at the bar at the Perth airport recently, even though our $AUS is worth more than the $US.
            I agree that there is little to be gained by filling the pipe with insulation, but if it is spare, might as well use it. It would still make an improvement, because it will stop heat radiating from one side of the pipe to the other internally.
            Last edited by david s; 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks to one and all.

Will go looking for some scrap SS tube from somewhere, I get the point that air is ok but think I might stuff it with some calsil I have left over and then seal the ends.

Thanks Russell for posting those photo's has given me an idea that I will use the fire brick tiles directly on the Hebel and put a 50mm Polished Granite landing in place depending on price. If I have to go thinner Granite I will get some splits too get the height right in the landing.

Hey Doug [Karangi Dude] what size was the Granite Landing proposed for the Barrel you are consulting on, how deep thick shape am thinking flat but with a 125mm front face covering the firebricks any other ideas i.e. not using firebrick underneath due to possible cracking of the granite etc would be appreciated.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                Fyi those bricks are sitting on CaSi not my concrete hearth.
                Russell

Comment

I did something similar to Russel - used Insulated firebrick splits under my stainless steel and a piece of Soapstone that is my landing.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000089 (1).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	293636
                  I just got the landing fully installed in front of that today... the picture was taken last August

I think there has been some discussion of how well Granite will handle the heat of a landing - I would do some searching on that.
                  Last edited by deejayoh; 03-30-2013, 07:39 PM.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks again.

Hey Deejayoh, that looks great [you photos] and I was doing the search on Granite Landing while you were typing the message.

Russell it did look like it was on your concrete base. I am trying to avoid having Calsil in landing area as I am concerned with the oven being out in the weather as I do not intend covering the area [at this point]. I have been told that calsil can perish if it stays wet.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi all

Not that I felt like it today [big night at Bruce Springsteen at Hanging Rock what a great concert. Have to be one of the best showmen I have seen] after a couple of big nights and days. But, I got the calsil down this afternoon taking Doug's advice and used the Hebel adhesive to bed it in.

I made a little faux paux , forgetting to allow for the base arch bricks when cutting the Calsil. Not to worry though I kept the offcuts so easily fixed .

All looking good thus far. But that is enough for today, am going for a SNAP [short nap] or nanna nap whatever your persuasion is .
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-30-2013, 11:18 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

How thick is 16 guage?
                        I think its about 1.6mm
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          I think its about 1.6mm
                          Thanks Allan

I did some googling the other night and I get different answers, 1.59 in one or two cases but mainly 1.29 when looking at conversion. So I will go with 1.3 or 1.6 .

Goes to show google doesn't always work.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

So I will go with 1.3 or 1.6 .
                            Ya cant buy 1.3mm thick steel
                            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Colin,
                              You are correct on CaSi does not like exposure to weather/water. My Ca Si is sitting on 2" of FoamGlas which in not affected by water and then I veneered the FoamGlas and CaSi with a firebrick veneer (abt 1.25" thick) which were left over cut offs from my build. Tip, make sure you shim arch form to add release or you won't get the form out. Save the form for a future door template.
                              Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                Colin,
                                You are correct on CaSi does not like exposure to weather/water. My Ca Si is sitting on 2" of FoamGlas which in not affected by water and then I veneered the FoamGlas and CaSi with a firebrick veneer (abt 1.25" thick) which were left over cut offs from my build. Tip, make sure you shim arch form to add release or you won't get the form out. Save the form for a future door template.
                                Hi Russell and thanks.

My plan is to use the stainless steel 100*50 stuffed with calsil since I have some scrap. Layed flat at this point in front of the inner arch door side, I will then have a vertical piece of calsil cut to height dependent on the granite (probably 25mm) thickness. I will use the firebrick tiles and some fire brick splits to bring the rest of the landing to the right height. I will have no calsil forward (other than 50mm) of the thermal break. The granite will be flat and come down the front edge of the landing so it looks like a monolithic piece of granite.

Haven't forgotten the shims, was just lining the arch up.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X