Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Allan,
    You raised the issue about wetting firebricks. Perhaps, if you feel so strongly about not doing it, the debate should be moved to the recommended changes thread.
    It is an interesting topic and worthy of debate.
    Last edited by david s; 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It seems as though this topic already has some discussion here
      Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques
      Wetting the Bricks
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi All

Well I actually got some time this weekend to work on the oven, which I wasn't expecting. Completed the first chain above the hearth and got the next chain cut in half. Thought I would do this to see how the arch bricks differ from straights, in angles, position, cutting etc. before cutting the angle. As Dave [Cobblerdave] pointed out I am more a visual person. So far going really well. I have been studying Gianni's [octoforno] build especially the way he describes how he did his arch I think it is post 70 page 7. Still struggling with what to do with the string once you have worked out your dome angle. Any way will take another look in daylight.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-14-2013, 02:07 AM.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
          Completed first chain above the hearth.
          Its a course Col, the yanks use chains......
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Allan

Course, chain, row its done that's all that matters too me. Was easier than I thought once I got my mix right [for me].
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Looks great! nice and tidy
              My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Hi

Bought some lights on a stand from bunnies today so I can check things out at night. Also covered the area with a temporary cover. I am also thinking of adding an adjustable depth gauge to the IT to enable the height to be consistent on the lower courses.

I attached a string line to the middle of both the dome template and IT [the IT is adjustable] as per Johns [Octoforno] post I mentioned in the previous message.

I'm using a bevel and have set this to the string line and marked the Bevel at 115mm [brick width]
                Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                Brett,

Start your arch by cutting the center-top brick. Use your indispensible tool (or a piece of string) to figure out the upper angle. Use the profile of your dome template to figure out the lower angle. (OctoForno post #34). Once you have these angles figured out go ahead and cut the rest of your arch bricks, but only the tapers, not the inside radius. If your bricks are tapered this is one less step for you.

Once all your bricks are tapered and held in place with shims, scribe a line using your IT/string from the back of your center-top brick to the back of your last brick on either side where it meets the dome. This will give you the cut line for the inside of your arch.

Match the top and bottom angles from the center-top brick for each adjoining brick and you're there.

John

I have taken a couple of photo's re arch transition based on those comments on John's thread. I think i'm on the right track here any confirmation would be good. John mentions scribing a line in this post this is the only thing I don't get.

Any assistance welcomed...
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-14-2013, 06:16 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin
                  Very nice cuts and tidy. I want tyou to look at the vertical intersection of your template and the arch and compare to John's (giannif) on his #34 post. Notice how the bottom of his tapered arch intersects his arch form. This is how you made the seamless transition from the course to the arch. Take a look.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russel nice to ear from you.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    Colin
                    Very nice cuts and tidy. I want tyou to look at the vertical intersection of your template and the arch and compare to John's (giannif) on his #34 post. Notice how the bottom of his tapered arch intersects his arch form. This is how you made the seamless transition from the course to the arch. Take a look.
                    Yeah i know what you mean. The situation is that i am using a flatter dome if you go back to a previous post where i layed out the bricks to determine my Dome Template. I followed Gianni's guide and when you cut the template you get that gap. Where the Dome template intersects lower down the arch form. When palcing the Bricks in position on the arch they still intersect further back along the template.

See Previous pictures page 20 post 197 - I am assuming this is ok as it is an outcome of the shape of Dome [and height of arch form 12.5"] based on the arch bricks i am using for the build. The assumption i'm making is the brick needs to intersect the arch at that point.

If [Russel] you can see anything wrong with this logic please let me know
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin -
                      I built a flatter dome and because of the shape of the dome, the cut away changes as you go higher up the dome. See my picture below
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	415900_3442594740070_620169088_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	293871
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Its a course Col, the yanks use chains......
                        That may be a term used by yanks. I am not to sure about that though. I think that I remember my Yankee uncle from Ohio calling it a course. But we southerners definitely use the term "course"
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          That may be a term used by yanks. I am not to sure about that though. I think that I remember my Yankee uncle from Ohio calling it a course. But we southerners definitely use the term "course"
                          The war still going is it?
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Dennis

Was Looking At That Photo last Night Dennis.

That's how i believe mine will end up. I think Russel is referring to the triangle where the dome template meets the arch in previous photos.

Lining the TDC brick up with the face of the Arch Form pushes the brick back into the oven engaging the Dome Template [slightly lower/flatter Dome at that point]. Is this ok as you see it.

I'm not to sure then how to work out the scribing bit spoken of in your's and Johns conversation about this on your and his thread. I will cut that TDC brick during the week and dry lay the Arch with Shims.

Am I On The Right Track.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Colin

Because you are building a flatter dome I don't think you should use the string. It is giving you the angle if you are building a hemispherical dome. Just make it a right angle with the line traced from the dome form and it will be ok.

Just picture it as if you had laid any other brick in the dome. One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
                              Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                                I'm not to sure then how to work out the scribing bit spoken of in your's and Johns conversation about this on your and his thread. I will cut that TDC brick during the week and dry lay the Arch with Shims.

Am I On The Right Track.
                                what I did there was figured out the TDC brick and the brick at the beginning of the arch, and then I drew a line between the two to approximate the face of the intersection. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. Certainly close enough that any error could be covered up with mortar.
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X