Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Oasiscdm,
    I understand now. I "think" the reason that it is not common is related to the depth of the entry. I think that a an eight" single wall sits on a 12" anchor plate. I'm not sure if the double walled would also. This is above my pay grade so maybe someone else will chime in.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Did it come with an anchor plate?
      My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Colin,

I used an anchor plate(aka spigot) which sits on top of my arch by way of a square transition section.from there the rest sits on top. Have a look at my build thread and I can post more pics if required.
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

In the end I didn't use an anchor plate. In constructing the outer brickwork on top of the entrance arch for the chimney/flue, I shaped the inside of the bricks to create a round cross-section to hold the stainless flue. This worked well as there is three bricks high, and it is mortared in as well. Doesn't move, and seems to draw and work well.

Cheers

Craig
          "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
          The Pirate Captain

Comment

Thanks to all

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Oasiscdm,
            I understand now. I "think" the reason that it is not common is related to the depth of the entry. I think that a an eight" single wall sits on a 12" anchor plate. I'm not sure if the double walled would also.
            Yeah Gulf I guess that's why I cant find much. most plates are 12" when I have have made enquiries. but must be a way and someone must have tried. Even a single brick landing with a half brick face added to the front plus the inner arch. will give me [230 + 115 + 75] 420mm in depth so I guess I could get a 400 mm plate made up allowing for the double skin.

Originally posted by Wayne73 View Post
            Did it come with an anchor plate?
            I haven't purchased anything as yet just doing my due diligence.

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
            Colin,
            I used an anchor plate(aka spigot) which sits on top of my arch by way of a square transition section from there the rest sits on top. Have a look at my build thread and I can post more pics if required.
            Yes I tried looking at what you are doing but the double flue inner and outer makes it just a tad different. yes and more pictures are always welcomed.

Craig, I might have to go down that route but I know a metal fabricator so I can get a plate made up to accept the 2 flues. I also want to be able to remove them easily if necessary. You know just in case.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-14-2013, 03:50 AM.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi all who commented on the last discussion point re double skinned flues.

I think I have solved the problem I will get 2 chimney plates 1 for 10" and 1 for 8" and insert one into the other. Cut down the square portion of the 8" then get this welded together then surround with Brick work for support up too 3 courses high similar to Craig [boomers wfo] and others.

So do you think this sounds feasible?
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                Last year I ran across some double wall SS pipe at a salvage store. They did not have a base plate but did have a chimney cap. The chimney cap was made to receive the 8" interior and 10" exterior pipes. I'm thinking that there is probably a base plate out there. Might take a little more searching.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Colin,

I used Selkirt double wall SS chimney pipe very similar to the Duravent that the FB people sell. Do a google on Selkirt or metalbestos. I found mine at a surplus store for cheap but be warned double wall ss is very spendy.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks gulf and Russell.

Russell is it selkirt or Selkirk

Will do some more research. Love your finished product Russell that is so pretty
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Selkirk ultra temp is double wall ss. Metalbestos is the same thing, predecessor I think. I would think one of your down under fireplace stores would have something similar.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM. Reason: Added PDF
                      Russell

Comment

Russell

Well searched and searched here in Australia. Although I think your flue is the bees knees. I CANNOT FIND IT OVER HERE. Apparently the distributor does everything except the Selkirk flue . So unless I import one form uk or states its a no go.

That flue is so sexy on your oven. I want one I'll keep looking.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                          Know any local fabricators good with stainless.....maybe not exactly for that but something along the lines?
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi Damon/Russell

Yeah I know someone that could, but what Russell has used, they are so sexy, it could be worth importing one. One chimney plate, 1 m flue and a cowl.

I have found them in the UK. Will check States out.

But you have to admit it looks really good. Compared to what I have seen to date in Melbourne.

You are covering yours aren't you?

Russell - is the cowl and plate stainless steel on yours?
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-15-2013, 02:51 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

About three years ago I built an oven that sat just under the eaves of a house and I used a double flue as it went through the roof.
                              You do need to extend the flue pipe 600 mm higher than the roof. Double cowls are available to fit an inner and outer flue pipe. I used a stainless steel inner pipe and had the other one made by a local sheet metal shop from colour bond in the same colour as the facia and gutter. Colour bond is cheaper than stainless and as it doesn't get particularly hot is not warranted IMO. You also need a Decktight seal at the top. There are two types. Black for lower temp and orange for high temp if using over a single flue pipe, use the orange one, but if over the outer pipe the black one is sufficient. Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by david s; 05-15-2013, 03:41 AM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Anchor plate and cap are also SS.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X