Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Colin,
    When I get home before dark one night I"ll take and then post pics of mine on my build.
    Basically there was little gap left under eave and top of arch (700mm) I just took the flue box all the way down.....so unfortunately no exposed stainless just black outer wall.
    Dektites are a great sealand create a neat finish around roof too
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi

Damon more photos are always usful.

Russell i'm getting a quote from the UK for Selkirk flue. Guessing will be out of price range but I do not believe I cannot find a similar flue over here.

I tried the US Selkirk company but they refer back to the UK.

here is my guess of price 380pound + around 100 pound delivery so around 500 pound so around $704 aud. Considering a normal retail Aussie double skinned flue no insulation or twist lock or 316 stainless is about $300 AUD

Way too pricey or as you said spendy.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-17-2013, 05:38 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi all

Well after 3 weeks where I couldn't get to, getting back to, finishing the 3rd course I completed it today. So far I am maintaining the small joints I have for the most part but have made a couple of small errors [like answering the phone while trying to lay a brick and then it set not quite in the right place but left it there might run the angle grinder over it]. Also joints are bigger in a couple of places, but am mainly trying to get that brick to brick internal finish.

Tomorrow weather permitting 4th course, hopefully start of 5th course also. Getting the hang of the mortar now, works with a, not quite stiff whipped cream consistency, allowing the brick to be set and pushed in place. I dunk the bricks in a bucket of water first, and spray where I am laying twice prior to setting brick. Seems to be working well now.

I guess gravity will begin to take effect soon with the arch bricks.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-18-2013, 05:45 AM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Very nice work!
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

well I got some more done today not as much as I wanted. I was not happy with some of the work I had done so took an angle to the inside. Quite effective actually, was able to get rid of the overlap [when brick placed over previous bond] quite easily. I also needed to get my circle back seemed to be out from one side to the other by about 5-10mm. Hence the angle grinder. Using the IT on this course to achieve that.

Am not looking forward to going higher as maintaining this internal zero mortar obsession might prove very difficult. Again lots of photos that I will replace with daylight shots when I get chance.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-19-2013, 03:55 AM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
              That's the thing about getting hooked on this oven building thing.... You have your own time frame . Unlike any other thing in the house .. You don't have time pressures like a bathroom refit or a kitchen , just take your own time.
              It's not like its going anywear it will just sit and wait for the time and energy.... It definitly not like the lawn mowing or car washing ... A have too task ...it just sits and waits for you
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi

Well I got course 4 finished [well nearly one brick either side of arch left] spent the day getting it back to round [yep cocked up not sure how]. I have a 8-10mm rebate on one side and overhang on the other course not aligning to the one below, on both sides of the arch, going back about 300-400mm from the arch.

It is back to round now, I will lay the next course, then take to the inside with an angle grinder and smooth things over removing the problem.

I have decided to do this to get rid of the T shape as I tried last week and it is easier than how Gianni described in his post [doing it on the brick saw]. Flap disks [metal]worked ok and less harsh than a stone cup wheel. Got a respirator to do this task.

Will post some photo's another time, as I've got new phone and need to work out how it works.

Cannot wait for Queens Birthday weekend think I'll take day off, pray for great weather and spend 4 days working on it. Hopefully getting past the arch dome transition.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-26-2013, 02:17 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                  I have a 8-10mm rebate on one side and overhang on the other course not aligning to the one below, on both sides of the arch, going back about 300-400mm from the arch.
                  Didnt you see it when you were laying them?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

HI Allan

Not until the 3rd course, Since I started at the back I only noticed as I got towards the arch. Decided to correct it on the forth course.

I think the problem is that the IT needs to be adjusted each course to match the dome template and I think I must have knocked it.

I'm not overly concerned as I can reshape inside as I described above, outside I don't care much about as obviously it gets covered and covered and coverered. I was always going to grind the T's inside the oven anyway, its just now it needs to be a little more severe.

Added some photos from weekend efforts.
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

and a couple more
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Brick work looks nice and tight. I too had to adjust the IT length as well as grind some overlap off as I tied into the arch. Make your adjustments over a couple courses so it is spread out. You will be clearing the arch soon. Good work.
                        Russell

Comment

Hi Russell

What did you use on your grinder.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

I have a angle grinder with a 5/8" threaded arbor and I used a diamond cupped wheel which are about $20 USD.
                            Russell

Comment

Hey Russell same as mine exactly.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey course 5 finished.

After a trip to dentist to get tooth fixed decided to complete the course and get ready for next course well nearly got there but ran out of day light. Was hoping to get 3 bricks in place on next course give me head start for weekend.

Here's some photos. Think I may have beginning of dreaded droop. But could be optical illusion too. so took some photos for a more objective look. Only problem it was dark. Will put a level across it in daylight and see.

I intend to mark the centre of each brick with the IT/String and take my time [I am going to attach a chalk line to my IT] as rushing caused some minor and a couple of more serious alignment issues but have managed to maintain tight internal joints. I am back to round now.

Hey Allan [Brickie in oz] if you see this, how do you lay the last brick on the arch?, 2mm gaps I find the mortar is just pushed out. Is there a technique? I found around the dome the mortar gets pushed out. Must be missing something, have cut the back of the brick around the dome to allow mortar. But the arch to me is a challenge getting mortar in those 2-3mm gaps.
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-28-2013, 03:59 AM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X