Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Thanks Russell

I was looking at your build last night Russell. I know what you and David are referring. I am using a full reveal and a flared entry, the Door maybe 25mm - 50mm lip even having the outer vent arch 55mm lower that will leave me 55mm. Do you think that should be ok?
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Russell, Colin,
      I must have misread/misinterpreted what you were saying re sizes of the arches. Russell your photo clearly shows no problem with the door fitment.
      Great work.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
        Once the thing is fired up to pizza temp and the oven clears I will post the differential both sides of the stainless.
        Yes, that will be useful. While you're about it shoot the temperature of the stainless pipe too. With all the calsil surrounding it I'm sure it will work well, but I'd expect the pipe itself will read a lot higher than the granite and perhaps even a bit more than the brick just in front of it. My mobile oven sits on a Hebel base that has a couple of 4x40mm steel straps under the centre. When the oven is cranking the bottom of the Hebel is warm to the touch while the steel straps are considerably hotter (the heat being attracted to the more conductive material)

Comment

David

Will do, . Curious what is your mobile oven used for?
          Cheers Colin

Comment

I rent it out

Comment

Course 8 done yay

Hopefully course nine tomorrow. Thinking of overlapping 2 bricks to retain bond.

Also ordered granite landing yesterday should have that Wednesday.

Fishpond have shipped my flue bits there on a slow boat from the states think there being canoed over 2 bits wont arrive until 28 August. oh well not to worry as long as they get here, as the price on fishpond was so much better than else where.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                That's good to hear. I think some stainless in this area is a good solution, but my point was that it needs to be thin. If yours is only 2% of the mass of the same volume of firebrick then yours must be extremely thin. Looking at Colin's photo the section appears to be a 2" x1" (25x50 mm with a wall thickness of around 2.0mm) which weighs just over 2 kgs/m. The same volume of dense firebrick weighs 9.5 Kgs. So you have around 20% of the mass not 2%. Really the only stainless bit you need is the bit on top and a little down the sides. Reducing the amount of stainless exposed to the bricks on the sides and the bottom would be preferable. With a wall thickness of 0.5 mm and say40% of the section cut away, the mass could be reduced to an eighth of what you presently have. Another job for the angle grinder perhaps?
                you can only count the mass at the top and bottom. The way to calculate the heat transfer is as the mass of the top and bottom of the tube passing through two planes of metal. But you are really stirring up a tempest in a teapot on this one. A heat break doesn't affect the performance of the oven while firing, it is only about retention after firing. And after firing, heat loss through the floor is not really a big issue. The dome has greater mass than the floor and heat rises. The places to focus on heat retention are the door and the arch heat break
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  you can only count the mass at the top and bottom. The way to calculate the heat transfer is as the mass of the top and bottom of the tube passing through two planes of metal. But you are really stirring up a tempest in a teapot on this one. A heat break doesn't affect the performance of the oven while firing, it is only about retention after firing. And after firing, heat loss through the floor is not really a big issue. The dome has greater mass than the floor and heat rises. The places to focus on heat retention are the door and the arch heat break
                  I'm not trying to stir a tempest, just trying to give evidence why it's important to use as little density of stainless as possible because it's way denser and conductive than brick. If you are trying to create a heat break then stay away from heavy, dense and highly conductive material. If you must use it then make it as thin as you can. In your case because you have used an extremely thin tube (2% of the same volume of brick) you'll be ok. I actually miscalculated, a 2" x 1" (25 x 50mm) x 2mm thick stainless tube at 2.1 kgs/m, is only 46% of the mass of the same volume of solid brick (4.6 kgs) and 10x more conductive.
                  Heat moving by conduction will travel downwards very easily especially if a more conductive material is beneath it. It is the very reason that insulation under the floor is important. Heat rises in air because it expands the air, making it less dense than the surrounding air, like a bubble rising in water.It's different when heating a solid.
                  Last edited by david s; 07-30-2013, 04:27 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Work last weekend part 1 photos
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Part 2 photos.

Woops didn't take any photos of next course 9, 2/3 completed. Will do so tomorrow, before picking up my granite landing.

Stay tuned for Part 3
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-31-2013, 01:54 AM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Nice brick work Colin. Just about there.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ta Russell

Now too see how I go widening the bricks to span 2 bricks on bond and keep the tight internal brick to brick fit. Once course 9 is completed that is.

Finally worked out your chimney mount, I kept seeing it all wrong, you bolted the plate to the vent structure not the capping bricks. Derrrrrrrrrrrr
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-31-2013, 06:26 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Ya, my pics are confusing, the view is actually looking upside down, just wanted to show the inset cuts of the anchor plate.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

well was ill but got something done. Picked up landing, positioned. Cut some splits for course 10 and to lift the landing to the right height [one brick, one cut two purposes].

Made some alterations to my dome template for the last couple of courses.

Part 1 Photos below.
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-01-2013, 01:08 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Part 2 photos

Not far away now from closing maybe this weekend [have 3 days off ] will get to last 2 courses at least, hopefully landing cemented in place, maybe a little further. Who knows, fingers crossed no holdups.
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-01-2013, 01:29 AM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X