X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by Liteceeper View Post
    Looking good Colin,
    I agree with david s on letting the shiralite dry a bit before big fires.
    My bottom layers of perlite are fine but the top was still damp when I did first big clearing fire and thats where I have some cracks and around around flue gallery.
    Maybe too late but I would place some aluminium foil to stop shiralite sticking to flue area and act as a expansion / crack joint.

Thanks for the info on Ben's refactory mortar I was wondering what it consisted off.
    Hi Anthony

Thanks for the heads up.

Hoping that won't happen around my vent and landing as it is completely separated from the dome... But will go easy on the curing. Build up tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hey Colin

Acquisition of firewood is all about being an accomplished scrounger. People lopping trees, windfalls of dead trees on country roads, clearing for road widening, building sites (provided the timber has not been CCA treated and a keen pair of eyes all help with the effort. I am a bit lucky in that I live rural and there has been plenty of old seasoned timber within easy striking distance of home.

A ute and a chainsaw help the effort.

Happiness is a full woodshed.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post

Happiness is a full woodshed.
        Dunno 'bout that, Santa always has a full sack and he is always happy....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Why is Santa always smiling?
          Because he knows where all the naughty girls live.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Might be that Santa needs a special friend.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

You guys are unreal I read those messages while watching Santa Clause 2 which happens to be about the Santa "Clause 2" which is about him finding a wife, otherwise he is de santa ised.
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-13-2013, 03:21 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Put some plastic over dome. Fired up curing device, and have it now running around
                150c mid way up the dome. Will keep it running until midnight.

started around 5.30pm
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Its 10pm oven walls at 150c external shiralite temp at 45c condensation forming on Plastic. Will run for 2 more hours fire up in the morning while I wrap in blanket.

Bottom of oven wall around 100c floor also 100c, top of dome 250c half way up around 170c back of hebel 170c front of hebel 58c.

Now here's a question I have 2 boxes of 7m x 60cm ceramic blanket, Difference is it is in 10cm widths i.e. 6 widths per box making the 60cm. How would you place that on the dome I will get 4 layers? All suggestions welcome
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-13-2013, 04:05 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Have run the curing device all day since 7am. Initially 1st and 2nd ring, then after 4 hours added 3rd ring. I layed the insulation blanket during this.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

well I got the insulating blanket on the dome. BEen firing it all day 3 rings, temp around 330c top of dome wals not far below 180c and owe r down the dome.

the thermocouple positions ar great. reading 180c 10mm from the internal dome surface and about 120c 10mm into the fire brick.

so far so good. The blanket at the top is actually feeling a little wet.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

thought I had enough blanket for 4 layers but miscalculated had only enough for 2 layers .
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

and the conclusion to the end of the dome. Curing blanket layed, God shining down from above pic 4. All that's left is the render purchased this today 10 bags not expecting it to be enough but will get it close.

looking at 50mm of render based on most recommendations,
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-14-2013, 05:10 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

well tomorrow I will take out the tapon tdc and lock in the the wires holding the blanket in place. Everything seems to be working out well, Blanket is wet on the surface. Will keep the curing device running for most of tomorrow and then use heat beads Monday and hopefully by Wednesday I will be ready for wood fire.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Cranked up the curing device to 4 rings at 11pm.

Must say I am impressed with the Hebel as a temp door. inside temp now at 190c, outside temp at about 60c.

Most impressive.

1205am plastic over dome, condensation galore, steam coming off and around the flue area.
                              Guessing everything that needs to happen is happening.

Both gas cylinders are empty, tomorrow I will get swap and go and fire one up until empty full bore. then will fire up using heat beads then wood. hopefully clearing temps by tuesday
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-14-2013, 06:09 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Oasis, what's the advantage to a curing device over burning wood?

Comment

Working...
                                X