new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

To make a whole meal bread loaf it is more successful if you add only a small proportion of whole meal eg around 30% and 70% plain. I'd say commercial Australian whole meal bread contains probably around 10% whole meal. 100% whole meal results in a very dense loaf. Pizza bases probably the same.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

HI guys

not much progress waiting on some bull nose bricks the same as my house that I stumbled upon. fluke purchase but been waiting for 3 weeks I pass these bloody bricks everyday as I visit clients damn frustrating.

In the interim a mate had 3 gum trees chopped down see photos below collect this weekend damn weather going to be mid 30's will need 4 loads of a 2 metre truck.

Damn ran out of render am using high build and will build up to 40mm currently around 20mm another layer of chicken wire. will complete unfinished layer this weekend and wrap in another layer of chicken wire then 2 more 10mm coats. Tried doing it 40mm in one hit decided against this approach.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-31-2014, 03:19 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

question about arch placement - picture in post #191 on pg 20 and picture in post #212 pg 22 looks like the arch is in the same place to me. #191 was before the "help, the dome template doesn't reach and Sharkey's green arrow, yellow arc, red line, pink line" stuff and #212 was after the Apothem calculation of 434mm. Did you actually move the inner arch form closer to the center of the oven - to what dimension? If yes, what did you do to the floor to adjust for the movement? Did you leave the arch at the place where your arch opening makes a chord on the circle and just push the TDC brick to meet the dome template and deal with the small open triangle that is formed?

I have a paper template with cardboard inner arch and cardboard dome arch sitting in my living room. 36" dia oven, 19" wide arch opening, 12" inner height of arch (of opening). so my apothem is 15.28". When I put the arch at 15 1/4" from the center, the dome arch template misses the top center of the inner arch by about 1.5". I calculated the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed with the base leg of 15.28" (apothem) and the vertical leg (arch opening) as 12" - the result is 19.42". My oven radius is 18" - so the difference is 1.4" - almost the 1 1/2" I measured with my cardboard templates.

It seems that my arch needs to be moved toward the center of the oven to where the diagonal is 18" and the arch height is 12". Calculating that number says my inner arch needs to be 13.4" from the center of the oven, or moved 1.88 inches closer to the center of the oven. That makes my oven cooking area smaller, but my main concern is the transition from the circle shape of the oven floor to the inner arch. The first brick on each side of the arch will either need to be cut match the oven dome curve (approx 3" cut off the side toward the inside of the oven and approx 2" cut off the side you can see in the inside opening of the inner arch). or I will have about a 3" flat spot where the dome curve meets the first arch brick and the arch brick is parallel to the oven opening. Another concern is if I use 4.5" bricks to make the arch 4.5" deep, the outside curvature of my dome looks like it will just meet the outside corner of the bottom arch brick and there will be no arch protruding from the dome, like yours.

How deep are your arch bricks? How much does your arch protrude or stick out from the outside of your dome?

Thanks for your (and anyone else that can chime in!) help!
        Texas

Comment

Texas,

I am assuming your goal is to do a tapered inner arch. I have attached a pic showing how you can use an IT to help with the placement of the arch. You will also need to use bricks that are longer than 4.5 (or half bricks) in order to accomplish the inner taper and protrude off the front. Start with a whole brick. The tapered arch concept is a little abstract and hard to visualize but worth the effort. I have several pics on my picassa album to help you. Also check our GianniFoccacia's thread for additional info on tapered arches.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

yes, planning on doing the tapered inner arch. Thanks. The additional pictures were helpful as well as knowing that you use a longer brick.

Comment

The additional pictures were helpful as well as knowing that you use a longer brick.
              With your attention to dimensions, you may also want to consider the geometry of the inside face of your arch. The hemispherical dome-facing arch in pic 1 requires different compound angles on each brick, but alleviates the tedious cuts required on the next course up to get back to round.

The TDC brick in my hemispherical arch was 5.5" deep. This was to provide for the 1" extension off the front of the dome.

I believe Colin's deeper TDC brick was to avoid an oval oven shape and dreaded droop.

Comment

The second image above is only a thumbnail. I recognised it as my oven so I'll post the pick.

You can see the TDC brick is much more than a half brick. I think this was because my arch extends out from the dome a bit and also because my arch is not a semi-circle. You can measure all the distances and angles with your I.T.

Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Hi Texas

Follow the comments of those that responded above. They have provided the best feedback to my build and assistance throughout, to my build. The inner arch is not that complex. Create a circle, work out the front arch width.
                  Use your IT to determine the distance inside the oven.

I didn't move anything thanks to Sharkey's feedback. although I had comments to the contrary. Sharkey was the one that set me straight due to the fact my dome height was lower than a true hemisphere. I had triangle that I could not work out but cut the bricks according to the IT and maintained a true circle with absolutely no droop. My entry arch is almost a full in length brick.

Texas the 3 people that responded above have done some of the best builds on this site. Follow there lead and you cannot go wrong. That's what I did. In My thread I have tired to make it as detailed as I possibly could, so most aspects are covered in my thread. I also wish to say I have no cracks appearing to this point in the build what so ever and I have been using the oven for over a month now. I used a method in curing I had discussed with cobbblerdave around tempering the oven and have had it up to 650c in this process.

I stayed true to brick bond, and was meticulous in my cutting to maintain a brick to brick fit. I personally saw this as an imperative for me. The keystone for instance is a tight fit cut from a mould I made using plaster of paris and fits exactly.

My arch is around 2.5 inches outside the dome and almost a full brick deep [210mm].

My outer landing wraps around the entry arch [rebated] but is completely insulated and separate from the dome.

My simple advice is just follow your IT. Cut TDC brick first work back from there. I wanted enough depth on my entry arch as I saw this as a weak point hence going for an almost full brick.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-04-2014, 06:01 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi had guests last night.

Did 2 gourmet pizzas for entree, my spicy Moroccan lamb roasted sweet potatoes and roasted pine nuts, and tandoori chicken with mango chutney sliver almonds and my signature seafood paella done in the oven for first time.

Was to die for much better than stove top.
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-16-2014, 05:10 AM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                      Hi had guests last night.

Did 2 gourmet pizzas for entree, my spicy Moroccan lamb roasted sweet potatoes and roasted pine nuts, and tandoori chicken with mango chutney sliver almonds and my signature seafood paella done in the oven for first time.

Was to die for much better than stove top.
                      G'day Colin
                      That paella looks great. I'm not a great paella chef by any means but I have cooked it on a stove top before. It's one of those recipes though that I'm grateful that I don't muck it up. How does it translate to the WFO?
                      I'm always over cooking the rice cause I'm afraid of undercooking it. There are so many elements in paella that require differing times. Definitely a recipes that I cook for the child bride ( she just loves everything I cook) I don't ever cook it for guests, just to much can go wrong.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

When Ive done it in the oven (regular) ,Ive dried out the mussels.
                        You have to add them early as their juices are a massive part of the flavour the rice soaks up.
                        Its a real balancing act.

Comment

I did everything in the oven. Fry off the chorizo and onion, then spice infused chicken thighs, infused with turmeric and smoked paprika, I also use pimento as well.

A handful of calasperra or bomba rice per person . I did 2 in this case,
                          Can odd crushed tomatoes, pounder of Cherie tomatoes, 4 - 5 coffs chicken stocked, infused with large pinch of saffron, tea spoon of turmeric.
                          Cook just inside the oven opening Turing every 5 minutes quarter turn.

I added the seafood about 3 minutes before taking out of oven, took out and covered with foil lit sit for 10 minutes.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

All those in Melbourne and interstate in Australia, after researching for 2 weeks [some help from John (Octoforno) pointing me near the right direction. I found a supplier in Melbourne that just started recently importing Molino Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour $50 for 25kg. Will give up the details when I make the call and get info from distributor as you cannot buy direct.

Stay Tuned........... Unless you already know the source,,,,to
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Went and picked up the following and ordered 25kg bag of Molino caputo pizzeria tipo00. $50. Cool so now lets see if it makes a real difference.
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-19-2014, 06:03 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Interested to hear of your test results. Let us know how they go

Comment

Working...
                                X