new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

The trick to Vegemite is to spread it really,really thin on toast when you first have it to get use to the taste, not thick like peanut butter.

I use a teaspoon of vegemite when I make gravy for roasts. Adds a fantastic depth to the flavour and colour to the gravy.

Cheers

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hey Craig I might give that a go.

Russel farmed or wild there is a difference.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Well I have finally sourced a paver that should be able to be fired so here I go again TAKE 2.

Doing some other finishing touches to WFO this weekend.

Adding some Hebel under the existing Hebel base so that the base thickness is the same size as the rest of the base.

Adding a layer of chook wire for the next coating of Dome render.

If possible a layer or two of Render.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
          You need to use a fired clay paver. If it was a cement paver that may be a reason it failed. All clay pavers are fired, otherwise they'd turn back into mud as soon as they get wet. Even a fired clay paver may not be suitable because it has been designed to be walked on not used in an oven. That doesn't mean it is unsuitable, it probably will be ok, but there is no guarantee because the complex mix of ingredients of any clay body used in a brick will not be available to you. Likewise the temperature the brick is fired to is no guarantee of its suitability.The higher it is fired does not necessarily make it more thermally shock resistant in fact the opposite is sometimes the case.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David
            Thanks for that much appreciated. The paver in question is for the decorative arch. Its what I'm doing to it that requires firing again and I need a paver at least 400 x 400. Yes a concrete paver...... well, was simply useless didn't think of that when I picked it up I assumed they were all fired. WELL THAT THOUGHT WAS VERY WRONG.

The pavers I found have been fired at 1100c. Checking with paver manufacturers over the last week not all Clay pavers are fired to that temperature. Since the glaze I am using requires at least 1100c am thinking the Paver I am referring from Claypave being fired at 1100c will in fact withstand another firing so am hoping will serve the purpose I have installed for it.

Fingers crossed
            Cheers Colin

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. I can't see why the top brick of an outer decorative arch would see such high temperatures, but I don't know your design. I cast my decorative outer arches in concrete and have never had a failure, although I do make the inner one inch or so with an insulating concrete and the whole arch is separated thermally so there is little conduction and it never gets really hot.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Colin,

Can't say for sure if farmed or wild caught, like here in the States, farmed and wild caught salmon taste different but also cost more. I guess you get what you pay for. Good luck on the top brick. I am sure it will be in the same league as the dome plug. I still have some copper work to do but the weather has been too hot to accomplish much.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

How many Jars will your daughter be bringing back
                  Sorry Colin, just caught this...

It's hard to tell. Knowing my daughter, I predict she will fill any remaining space in her two large suitcases with clothes and bring me back an 8 oz teaser jar. I'll have to be really careful with it!

Comment

John - if she shorts you, you can get it here in the US you know...

Amazon.com : Vegemite 220g Jar : Nut Butters : Grocery & Gourmet Food
                    Vegemite Spread | World Market

might not be as exciting - but perhaps more reliable!
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ah, good 'ol Amazon! Who knew? The same jar at World Market (down the street) with tax is closer to $10. Thanks for the tip, Dennis.

Comment

Fascinating from an Aussie perspective People that reside in US having a discussion About vegemite. Curious this is something I grew up with. Wow. Use it for many things other than a spread.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-25-2014, 05:09 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Is interesting, I guess we all have our regionalized food, Chitlins for Gulf, Green Jello for Utahns and my original roots are from Hawaii where Poi is a big deal, like vegemite it is an acquired taste and I never quite acquired the taste, LOL.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Fascinating from an Aussie perspective People that reside in US having a discussion About vegemite
                            Colin, I first got exposed to the word Vegemite in Men At Work's line in Down Under about the Vegemite Sandwich, so I tried it. I still remember how vile the stuff tasted at first, but hey, anything associated with beer is ok, right?

Not like poi, as Russell says. The bulk of my family have been on Oahu since before WWII and despite numerous attempts, I cannot enjoy the stuff unless its got a ton of sugar in it. Otherwise, it tastes like grammar school paste. And this coming from a guy who'll eat almost anything...

Comment

Bugger think I broke my big toe
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

That's gotta hurt. How did it happen?

Comment

Working...
                                X