No announcement yet.

new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok all in Aus. I am looking for 230 x 230 x 75mm [minimum size, thickness is the most important to me] tiles. Surely someone in this country has some. I need at least 25 happy to buy 50 [just in case I move again lol :-) ]

I just don't want to have to use 50mm and 25 mm thick tiles to make up the thickness for the hearth, for the next oven.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

• Colin,

Good to see you post. Keep everyone posted on your new flour source. Still from Italy so I suspect you are paying a premium over your already high So. Hemi costs. Look at kiln shelves, they are available up to 1" thick. Check where your mum does her ceramics for local pottery supplies.

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-10x20x1rect.aspx
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Hi Russell nice to hear from you. Same place or flour, taylors lakes delicatessen. Only reason I am not using Caputo is I don't want to have to move 25 kg of flour I 4 weeks when we move.

My mothers pottery group wont help as it is a small concern. I will Keep checking with various refractory suppliers. should have thought more clearly when I bought the original 75mm thick fire brick tiles as they had more than I needed.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

• Hi all

New oven not that far away. Will be almost creating the exact same oven in our new home. Only difference is that I will be having a large base that will store at least 2 tonne of wood. with the hearth the same height as surrounding table. Similar to Litekeeper build. the oven will be identical to the current one as I really like the finish and the Japanese Kanji theme.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

• Colin,

What about this place, they have splits that are 25mm or tiles that are 38mm.
            http://www.darleyfirebrick.com.au/bricks.html
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Colin
              Yes to the suggestion of using Hebel. You may have mistaken the fact that a fireplace and wood storage was due to my labours alas, no, it was here.

I am in Doreen and coincidently I have spoken to Mark already. Very helpful. Well Taylors Lakes is closer to my neck of the woods. With your expertise you can expect more questions. Hope you are not annoyed at that prospect.
              Cheers mate
              Dave

Comment

• Not at all Dave anytime.

Hey Russell I have checked Darley out, but they do not exist anymore. Shut down or were bought out by another.
                Finding 75mm thick refractory tiles [230x230 min] is like looking for a needle in a hay stack over here. I lucked onto them for the current oven [should have bought more when I had chance]. If necessary to get the thermal mass I might have to settle for 50mm plus 25mm tiles [just more work], this is not my first choice though. Not keen on just using 50mm tiles.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

• Now here is an interesting snippet my supplier told me yesterday. There is a factory that's closed down somewhere in Sydney and they have Refractory slabs 460x300x150 thick. Now that would make an amazing floor, only problem is they weigh 70kg each. Shame we cannot get them cut in half to 75mm slabs. Apparently there are quite a lot.

Still cannot find those elusive 75mm refractory tiles.

I was told that if people wanted to share a pallet about 80 per pallet at 300x300x75. Your need about 20 for a 40-42 inch floor. They can be made up but I am not sure of the price.

I am reluctant to use a 50 and 25 mm tile base on next oven 2 50mm tiles I feel a little to much thermal mass.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

• Hi All

As they say patience is a virtue.

I now have ordered the floor tiles I have been seeking for 15 months in preparation to build my 2nd oven when we move in 3ish weeks. I have obtained 22 610x305x75mm tiles 42 alumina, $130 freight to Melbourne but enough to build 2 1m oven floors and 1 tandoor probably with some left over after that. Okay why order so many you might ask. Since these were so hard to obtain it was easier to buy the lot. These were not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but 75mm thick refractory Tiles are very hard to come by at around $45 each [thanks to my favourite supplier here in Melbourne].

My current oven used around 14 290 x 290.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

• Hey Russell

If you see this how did you send the message to me requesting Karangi email address. Damned if I can find it. PM if you see this, or email.

Cheers
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

• Moving on weekend. Stump grinder in next week to remove massive yucca stump. right where I wish to place the oven. Fence goes up also to keep mutt in.
                        at some point will pick up hearth tiles 610x305x75mm thick. Get permission to build, and then I guess, since I was layed off work a week ago [arrrggghhhh], contemplate starting the oven.

Will need to plan well, am doing the same again, but hopefully even better. Will be changing my brick saw compound mitre jig to be more accurate with brick cutting as I am attempting to build oven with absolutely no mortar between bricks eg. more so than current oven.

looking at finish similar to litekeeper oven, table level with hearth and landing all around.

All this while looking for new work.

Cheers Colin

Comment

• Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          Moving on weekend. Stump grinder in next week to remove massive yucca stump. right where I wish to place the oven. Fence goes up also to keep mutt in.
                          at some point will pick up hearth tiles 610x305x75mm thick. Get permission to build, and then I guess, since I was layed off work a week ago [arrrggghhhh], contemplate starting the oven.

Will need to plan well, am doing the same again, but hopefully even better. Will be changing my brick saw compound mitre jig to be more accurate with brick cutting as I am attempting to build oven with absolutely no mortar between bricks eg. more so than current oven.

looking at finish similar to litekeeper oven, table level with hearth and landing all around.

All this while looking for new work.
                          Hey Colin
                          Did you find new work, and has the New Oven started yet. I am about ready to post some of the progress for my first oven......yahoooooo!
                          Dave

Comment

• Sorry Dave have been busy.

update

house sold settles Friday coming. Whole move took 3 months and got a great price. check this link for final photos and build completion.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/in-10+cromwell+rd+werribee/list-1

Am planning new oven as we speak and hoping to get base slab done by end January. I now get to implement changes and improvments. yay!!!! eg. Hearth, landing and external table all on the same level.

be great to see your build.

Cheers Colin

Comment

• Nice House Colin, I like the way you have constructed the outdoor kitchen area. I can see you have put some of your creativity in to the house as well. Well done mate. You deserve that good return.

I have started my build over on Pompeii Construction under A Land Down Under 39". Slow progress with all this rain.
                              Regards Dave

Comment

• HI All

So the end of a new beginning. House settled today. so I thought I would post the photo's of the completed project finally.
                                These are profeesional photo's and when i get time i will put an album together and post for the whole build.

I will be starting a new build at the new home new year. Have a few things to do before starting to keep swmbo happy eg. Indoor stuff.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X