Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    I haven't the first clue why I'm putting these pics here.
    Keep em coming, its nice to see some different stuff and ways apart from ovens too..
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That is one gorgeous view from your study, mine, as I type, looks my neighbor's brick on his house
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well okay guys, I'll post a few more.

A pic of the volcanic island where I hope to get perlite. I look at it now and it looks like a huge pile of perlite calling me..."Lancer, Lancer, come and get me Lancer."

[/QUOTE]

Where the pool will be as well as the concrete spiral...

The concrete spiral rises. There is no pool floor except in my mind at this point though the metal bar at the base of the post show where it will be poured. A lot of the guys were looking at me funny then, but no more. None had ever built or even heard of such a thing and neither had I. The steps being poured monolithic with the post as it rose out of the ground from its deep foundation. We could only do 2 steps a day and therefore the post was poured in many small sections over weeks.

Until finally they were all in. I'm smiling because it was a burden in my mind and when it was done I felt light. Ahead of me there was still the pool with then infinity edge waver chair, under the pool tunnel and inclined beach but here I'm free of the post & steps. One of the details that kept me awake at night was planning where the steps would begin and end. With a radius of blah and a height of yadda covering a distance per step of whatever, it kept me awake many nights until I hit on an easy solution. Start by attaching the metal bar for the top step to the post metal bar first where that step >>had to<< end up then work downwards to the bottom step which had a fairly large area where it would be okay to locate the first step. No math, I slept easy that night after coming up with that.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Came out okay...

Comment

So that is width. As far as height is concerned, what's a good height for the cooking floor of the oven?

Comment

So that is width. As far as height is concerned, what's a good height for the cooking floor of the oven?
              If I understand the question correctly, mid sternum. The center of your chest. A height that would allow you to view your oven floor without having to bend down.

Just sayin'
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That's good news, thank you Gulf. :b:

So what do we know?

Above the floor there's 27" of oven space.
                Above that 4" of brick.

31"

Then 5" of refractory

36"

12" of perlite

48"

5" of top coat

53"

That describes the dome without the chimney sticking out the top.

I figure 53" to mid sternum.
                Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Gudday
                  Add this one at the top of the list
                  Insulate Insulate and finally INSULATE!

Regards dave
                  I have in my plan 7" of perlite in the floor and 12" around the dome. That okay?

Between the brick, 2 layers of 5" refractory and 12" of perlite I have to go through 2' 2" of stuff before I get to the oven. What do you guys think of that? I tell you it gave me pause... To offset it there will be no table built into the sphere, I'll be able to get close. Likely make a roll away table to set in front of the opening.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

The wife is great. Sho and I drew a huge circle on the tile of the main deck and in its location an 8' something circle is big. So she knows what I'm planning but not the size of the thing. Told her to go check it out and not a peep, just a thumbs up. Sho is out there right now cutting 8 holes through the tile and cement so we can set small foundations for the round posts. This part is what we do well, posts in any configuration. Camera needs to be fixed or I'd put up pics, though a guy cutting holes can be easily imagined. We have to go to the city this week and take it into the Sony shop. It will start getting interesting when the metal bar starts rising out of the holes.

I also have a plan but no way to post it. You guys know it by now though. When the camera is fixed I'll take a pic of them.

Comment

Gudday lancer
                      Re cooking floor height , might take into account that your a bit taller than the average Phillipino.... A compromise between the two heights might be best. It's great to be the chef but better to be chief chef and pass the duties over to someone else when you want to
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gudday cobblerdave, I can also make a good heavy duty step for them to stand on whereas I can't really dig a hole for myself. Excellent point mate!

So the 2' 2" distance from wall to oven doesn't cause anyone concern? (I hope)

Comment

After a couple of days off for fiesta Sho is once again chipping holes for the posts. It was also fiesta in the city so the folks from the Sony repair shop closed up and went, so no camera yet.

Once the holes are chipped the post foundations and post metal bar set and the posts poured it will be time for the table on which the oven sits. The whole table is going to be refractory cement and 7" perlite under the brick.

The refractory cement mix, see what you guys think...

1 Portland cement
                          1 red clay
                          1 stucco mix (can't find lime)
                          3 sand

Thoughts?
                          Last edited by Lancer; 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

1 stucco mix (can't find lime)
                            Whats in the stucco mix?

Make your own lime, you told us they are shipping lime out just metres from your home.

Its dead simple to make, just dont splash it in your eyes......
                            Burn the line in a fire then follow this vid. AKA slaking.

The fire drives out the carbon in the lime, when you reuse the slaked lime the lime adsorbes the carbon from the atmosphere and reconstitutes back into limestone, neat huh?
                            Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-03-2013, 02:29 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday brickie
                              That was triple scarey ... But a few goggles later I found a 40 sec u tube with two New Zealanders cooking thier lime in a 44 gal drum in the back blocks of "Whokilledamoocowe". The processs sounds scarey still but approached with a bit of knowledge and pre-planing should be do-able.
                              Regards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                in the back blocks of "Whokilledamoocowe".

Is that anywhere near Whykickamoocow?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X