Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    I could just put a couple of inches over the brick, or something else... How thick is the refractory cement over your brick dome brickie?
    I only put refractory concrete over the top of the dome because I laid the bricks flat to save bricks and I had some spare concrete I wanted to use before it went off.
    I added about 1" or what ever the two spare bags contained.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If I decrease the ref cement to 2" then I can increase the insulation to 15" or increase the size of the oven to 57". Since the holes are cut in the floor the size of the table is the size of the table and no looking back. Which would you do brickie?

Edit: On consideration I think I'll increase the insulation, the oven is big 'nuf.

I keep coming to this then forgetting it. While the oven can be a somewhat raised (due to the floor being low in the onion) standard half round the onion can be formed by piling on extra lava rocks on top where the heat is inclined to escape from anyway. The outer 5" shell can contain it all. Besides the chimney has to pass through that high insulating lave rock on its way to the center top of the onion.
      Last edited by Lancer; 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Edit: On consideration I think I'll increase the insulation, the oven is big 'nuf.
        You read my mind.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          You read my mind.....
          It reads like an encyclopedia of great knowledge!

Comment

It reads like an encyclopedia of great knowledge!
            Its all echoey and dark in my head with some kid kicking a can around....
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-05-2013, 12:55 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah, that's the kid carrying the encyclopedia!

Comment

After a couple days with the flu Sho came back today and worked on a a wall Dolores wanted done and then continued on chipping the holes through the floor for the posts. Sho's birthday is coming up and we're going to give him a party.

In other good news the bedroom downstairs which was such a project is finished Friday and that means we get to let go of our painter, Ricky, for a while. Sad to see him go but...he has other work to go to. That gets us down to 2 guys, Sho and the carpenter, Fidel, or 'Del". Del has maybe 6 weeks left. Materials can be spendy. Release a guy and it takes away a considerable expense, all things considered.

Lastly I sourced silicate so I now know where to get all the ingredients for the project.

I'd like to get calcium alumina cement but that's not going to happen...though there is one place I can look that's maybe a 1 in 10 shot of finding it.
                Last edited by Lancer; 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Work has been slowed by fiesta in Sho's town, the resulting funk, Sho's subsequent birthday, the resulting funk, and then the election, and the resulting funk. The politicians buy votes which many of the voters use to buy booze. Monday Sho will have another project then return to the posts.

Comment

Holes are finished chipping and the metal bar for the 8 posts is all done. We're going to Camiguin Island for lava rocks on Monday, stay through until Friday. There's good pizza there and sights to see. Hopefully come home Friday with a bunch of lava. Not at all ready for it but need a get away. Next Monday Sho will start pouring posts and soon we'll need to acquire our clay, silicate and limestone. Have some really heavy limestone rocks out front I'd like to be rid of but they're too big to work with. We'll go to the quarry but I'm concerned they'll want to sell me 6 cubic meters of the stuff as a minimum. Need to break up those big limestone rocks, any ideas?

Comment

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Glad to see you are back. I was wondering how long the festival lasted.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Last 4 posts were mine, I didn't want to drone on in isolation.

Comment

Need to break up those big limestone rocks, any ideas?
                          Drill a series of holes, insert some dry sticks, add water, wait.
                          The sticks will expand and crack the rocks.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

...and if not I'll have a nice conversation piece.

As usual Brickie, excellent idea. :b:

Comment

Scored 35 cement sacs full of lava rocks, so that's certainly squared away. Could make my own volcano. Thing is its not the black lava loaded with 1/16 inch holes that I associate with lava rock. Stuff is gray and very light and full of micro holes.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Sounds like pumice. If it is it should float. Should work ok.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X