Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Gudday Lancer
    I had a picture in my mind of what a flat plane would look like when it connected to an onion dome. Then I thought you might carry it back and make like a nook around the entrance. Wasn't really sure but I knew it was significant, and I was trying to tease it out of you. Never thought you would spill the beans so quickly , you right you can't keep a secret. But with Sho on the job I'm sure you are confident he would pull it off I recon, so its loosened your lips.
    Don't you dare stop the pics from coming.....don't turn this into a slow strip tease.....
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The door will be free standing david. There is a place to lean it up. Planning on going with a wood soaked in water door. That's about easiest around here though getting a welder to work one up is possible.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        Gudday Lancer
        I had a picture in my mind of what a flat plane would look like when it connected to an onion dome. Then I thought you might carry it back and make like a nook around the entrance. Wasn't really sure but I knew it was significant, and I was trying to tease it out of you. Never thought you would spill the beans so quickly , you right you can't keep a secret. But with Sho on the job I'm sure you are confident he would pull it off I recon, so its loosened your lips.
        Don't you dare stop the pics from coming.....don't turn this into a slow strip tease.....
        Regards dave
        Sho is a great mason, a really good guy and my brother in law. There have been times where I've had to sit there and say 'put that brick there' kinda stuff but also times where I felt confident when he's on a repetitious task. Often he doesn't understand why he's doing something but he follows instruction fairly well. One small problem we have is he instinctively resists putting the dome bricks at an angle and wants to put them flat. I sat there for hours one day trying to get him to overcome this tenancy. Parts of the 5th course had to be pulled out and redone 4 times. Course 1-4 he had no problems, go figure, I don't understand it. He is good but I really need to be there quite a bit. On the flip side he is very exacting in many aspects of the build such as getting the flat bit above the arch absolutely level. He cared about it more than I did and I was very impressed. He's capable in several cases of making compound angle cuts first time out by hand with a hand held tile saw which I find amazing. He has perseverance and can do cuts and set bricks for hours on end. I impart concepts to him and he's very joyful when he gets it. He's starting to really like the oven the more he knows about it. That's good since I see him as the #1 pizza cook when the business gets going. He needs the work, has a wife and four kids and if he has no work we look after the family sooo...he needs work. Language skills are very strong but if he doesn't understand he doesn't say "I don't understand" which is a national trait which has led projects astray before. We do like each other and work well together.

Could not do it without him, but have to watch.

I take pics during the week and get them up on the weekend. I'm so happy to see progress cobbler, as there was none for the longest time. Of course these days Sho is on the job 8 hours 4 days a week weather permitting, and the weather has finally been good. That means a lot of progress which is wonderful. I'd love to have the project done by mid April for a party we hope to have, see what happens. Building the onion dome might take quite a while, I just don't know. I consider cooking pizzas at the party with just the oven dome, why not right? Temps won't get high though.
        Last edited by Lancer; 03-02-2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Hi lancer

A water soaked wood door will not work. I tried wrapping a wood door in alfoil. Work a while came out one morning and the foil just crumpled, guys what no wood.

The temperature hitting the door will dry it in seconds. It will need some insulation.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I've seen somewhere that a door soaked in water overnight retains enough water to not burn. So that was incorrect? I guess that a steel plate could be screwed on over the wood...

Any suggestions Oasis?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
              Sho is a great mason, a really good guy and my brother in law. One small problem we have is he instinctively resists putting the dome bricks at an angle and wants to put them flat.
              He needs the work, has a wife and four kids and if he has no work we look after the family sooo...he needs work.
              Language skills are very strong but if he doesn't understand he doesn't say "I don't understand" which is a national trait which has led projects astray before.
              It is a national trait. They don't like to disappoint you after you've tried to explain it. And they can't say no.
              I have a workmate who is a brilliant electronics engineer - learned his craft in a geothermal power station.
              He's Filipino, so he finds it very difficult to say no to unreasonable deadlines, workloads, etc.
              I find myself encouraging him to tell people to piss off.

You'll have to show your bro-in-law the picture of half done ovens on the forum, so he can see the bricks leaning over.

My other mate - the one married to a Filipina, says there is no welfare in the Philipines, it's no work, no eat.
              Some of our Aussie unemployed would starve. Others would be like the Filipinos, I hope - willing to get off their butts and work at anything to earn a crust.

Comment

It might work briefly, remember temps we generating to 350c when might at a door on. Steel over wood won't work either There needs to be an insulating layer. The wood need to be separated from the heat. Otherwise it will just combust as I experienced.

I'm now working on a SS door that is isolated completely futon the heat.including fastening bolts. I would be able to change the face plate anytime I want.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-02-2014, 08:09 PM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

I like the look of a wood door but insulating it is a problem. If you go with a wood door soaked in water and only place it when the oven temp is under 300 C (anything higher is too hot for baking and roasting anyway) You can get away with only a little charring on the wood if it's left in place for only a couple of hours. You can't expect to door the oven after pizza temps and expect to leave it there all night if it's wood only. Making a new door in wood is pretty easy fortunately.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                    It is a national trait. They don't like to disappoint you after you've tried to explain it. And they can't say no.
                    I have a workmate who is a brilliant electronics engineer - learned his craft in a geothermal power station.
                    He's Filipino, so he finds it very difficult to say no to unreasonable deadlines, workloads, etc.
                    I find myself encouraging him to tell people to piss off.

You'll have to show your bro-in-law the picture of half done ovens on the forum, so he can see the bricks leaning over.
                    Ha! I am not alone.

He's seen the vids. Its just a lifetime of laying block and getting it level every time. Its good if I'm out there anyway.

Good luck wot on trying to change things.

Oasis, I don't know what kind of insulation I could use. Maybe perlite mixed with the rest of the stuff. In fact yes, that might just work.

david, I could attach a poured sheet of perlite and put a sheet of steel over that. So, oven-steel-perlite insulation-wood.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Could work. But I think you would need to encapsulate the perlite.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Search doors and see what others have done. In the meantime you can try your door soaked in water.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          Will do. :b:

"Search doors and see what others have done. In the meantime you can try your door soaked in water."

Thanks david, lots of info there, a goldmine.

Comment

Hey Lancer. I see it all coming together for you. Your build is very interesting.

My door is an aluminium plate affair, pop riveted together and filled with ceramic fibre left over from the dome insulation. It has a heavy wood door on the outside that looks good too. The whole thing is pretty low tech, just drilling holes and pop rivets and a couple of screws to hold the insulated metal part to the wood. Been using it for about 9 months and it is holding up ok.

You can nearly smell the pizza when you start thinking about doors.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                              I made a Perlite door. Sorry I don't have any complete images.. I'll take some tomorrow.. but you can see it here on the left .... and a pix while was building it... metal mold, perlite 5:1 and resistant fibre .. it does need a hard coating of something over the outside .. just haven't decided what yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                                Hey Lancer. I see it all coming together for you. Your build is very interesting.

My door is an aluminium plate affair, pop riveted together and filled with ceramic fibre left over from the dome insulation. It has a heavy wood door on the outside that looks good too. The whole thing is pretty low tech, just drilling holes and pop rivets and a couple of screws to hold the insulated metal part to the wood. Been using it for about 9 months and it is holding up ok.

You can nearly smell the pizza when you start thinking about doors.
                                Thanks for the kind words and info Greenman. I'll tell you, the closer we get the more I can taste the pizza! My mind is turning to recipes. They have wild basil here that smells great and is fairly common. Plus, I had imported seeds for various spices and chilis. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X