house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

i can't decide if i should cover my slab with tarp or not.
    i keep reading how it helps curing but then i read about discoloration from covering with plastic tarp.
    should i just leave it as is or should i cover it?

Comment

You can start building as soon as a few days, but a week would be better.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Keep it covered, it prevents excess moisture from leaving the slab. The water staining doesnt matter, you shouldn't see any of the structural slab after you insulate and the finishes go on.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          Keep it covered, it prevents excess moisture from leaving the slab. The water staining doesnt matter, you shouldn't see any of the structural slab after you insulate and the finishes go on.
          i'm using CalSil boards as insulation so there will be fair bit of structural slab exposed

Comment

i'm wondering if it is enough to spray it with water couple of time a day?

Comment

That works...shade it too if you can.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

thanks for the advice stonecutter

i'm now thinking about next step as in placement of calsil boards, original plan was to place them directly on my slab but now with small mount to keep water away they wont sit flat, what can I do to level that as I don't want to have any wobble under calsil boards so they don't move under dome weight, any tips?

Comment

Use a dry mix of fire clay and sand spread. I used a wet slurry with a notched trowel but you will need to put something on the CaSi to keep it from sucking all the water out of the slurry if you go that way. Some have suggest margarine.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have almost full bag of duragrout could I use that to set my calsil board nice and levelled? this is the bag I got Lanko.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                      I have almost full bag of duragrout could I use that to set my calsil board nice and levelled? this is the bag I got Lanko.com.au
                      The Duragrout expands.
                      Whats wrong with good old fashioned sand?
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        The Duragrout expands.
                        Whats wrong with good old fashioned sand?
                        we talking just normal sand like one would use under pavers ?

i would worry that sand will attract moisture and keep calsil boards wet, or i got that wrong?

so if i have this options.

1. pavers sand (is that just sand or like UtahBeehiver said sand + fire clay?)
                        2. duragrout
                        3. refractory mortar

what would be the best pick.

sorry to torture you guys so much with my silly questions but the more I try to search net about it myself the more options come in view and I get even more puzzled

EDIT: btw does duragrout still expands once it is cured? i was under the impression that it only expands initially while in wet/plastic stage to give even contact between two objects but then it because stable?
                        Last edited by CrocAu; 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

we talking just normal sand like one would use under pavers ?
                          Correct

i would worry that sand will attract moisture and keep calsil boards wet, or i got that wrong?
                          If the cal sil is getting wet then so is your oven and you need to rethink how to keep the oven dry.

so if i have this options.

1. pavers sand (is that just sand or like UtahBeehiver said sand + fire clay?)
                          2. duragrout
                          3. refractory mortar

what would be the best pick.

sorry to torture you guys so much with my silly questions but the more I try to search net about it myself the more options come in view and I get even more puzzled
                          There is nothing wrong with a thin layer of everyday normal sand.

EDIT: btw does duragrout still expands once it is cured? i was under the impression that it only expands initially while in wet/plastic stage to give even contact between two objects but then it because stable?
                          From reading the data sheet its for grouting into place rigid structures, like the base of towers, bridges etc.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

so sand it is then, should make my life easier as well

thanks

Comment

No Probs.
                              Ppl tend to over think their builds, use the KISS principle.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

took my side frames down today without any issues but now i wish i believed in to effectiveness of the reciprocating saw trick bit more, i done couple left to right on each end but i can see that if i done couple more i would have near perfect edges.
                                saying that I can live with what i got, turned out not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X