• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Looks good mate! your off to a good start
    My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Looks good from here. Loking at your slab, which is sorta same but different for when I do mine, just wondering about polishing it? A bit of bling.

Comment

excuse my ignorance but how does one polish concrete and what does it look like once done?

Comment

Here is a link to start with compliments of Russell . You can also Google youtube for "concrete counters" Buddy Rhodes and Fu-Tung Cheng. There are many others with videos that you can look at.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here is a thread link on Lburou's forno bravo treasures archives. It is one I started where I had links to quite a number of polished concrete WFOs.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ers-18388.html
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

hi all again i want to get some idea on what to expect from my planned floor.
              i have 50mm calsil insulation on my slab, then i got about 20mm 1350 Grade Refractory castable subfloor/heatbank and then i have 50mm 42% AI203 refractory brick tiles

so what can i expect from this floor in regards to heat retention for bread baking? how many batches will i get at lets say 30-40min bakes before temperature drops down too much?

Comment

If you want to have really good heat retention, I would put down 75mm (3") of cal-sil.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

were i'm now i think my only option is to add another layer of 50mm floor tiles and that is what i wonder about, do i really want it or not.
                  I spent hours trying to work out what to expect from current floor before i start on my dome but i just can't find what i'm looking for, it could be that what i built for my floor is just fine but i just can't find anything about this sort of combo calsil/castable/tile
                  i hope to start on my dome tomorrow (today really, its 4:30am already :O ) so fingers crossed someone can enlighten me with this
                  Last edited by CrocAu; 06-26-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

on another note, chimney proximity to the house, anything i need to worry about?
                    i been reading that in states if there is any structure within 10 feet from chimney then it needs to go 2 feet above the structure. is there such regulation in australia/victoria (i don't believe there is one) and regardless if there is one or not should i worry about being about 1 meter from my deck/balcony on top floor?

Comment

Gudday
                      My own council classes then as an outdoor cooking fire ie BBQ and just don't need to know anymore unless you smoke out the neighbors or do something silly. Why don't you call the council ( in the third person ) and ask , cant hurt.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

're floor

Check out bens build in Berwick. He now sells kits and does something very similar to what you have done by adding a castable layer.

If you are a meter away from a balcony I would be getting flue above that. I do believe there is legislation in Victoria about distances from conbustable objects. Check just flues, they may be able to help
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          're floor

Check out bens build in Berwick. He now sells kits and does something very similar to what you have done by adding a castable layer.

If you are a meter away from a balcony I would be getting flue above that. I do believe there is legislation in Victoria about distances from conbustable objects. Check just flues, they may be able to help
                          yes i got all the bits from ben (in halam) just trying to double check before i build dome because once i start that it will be too late

bloody hell about the flue :O

Comment

Thought you might have used his kit. You can always add another layer of Calsil if you want to be completely sure.

My build uses 75 mm hebel base, 50mm calsil and then 75mm tiles. Hebel is insulating . I didn't use Ben's product mainly due to the tile thicknesses and got my fire bricks for a good price off bricky .
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

i do worry about everything all the time so here is another question.
                              i didn't get a chance to start my dome today but i did clean up the floor and grinded down all high edges in the floor so the peel doesn't hit them, while doing this i noticed that few edges are chipped in handful of spots is this going to be a problem of any kind?

Comment

Hi didn't you lay tiles on a screeded bed of fireclay and sand.

You wouldn't have needed to grind edges then
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X