• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

Looking good you will be eating before me at that rate.
    Col, someone could start their build in a years time and still beat you.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

HI Liteceeper

Like how relaxed your supervisors are!!!

Looking good you will be eating before me at that rate.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

More photos

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

After burning the midnight oil, I managed to finish the dome.
    Still require some castable refactory mortar to finish off but working away all week so brickwork should be cured nicely by the time I get back.

I had to modify with grinder the IT tool to fit last few rows of bricks, but used the stick method to support bricks until fitted keystone.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

The excitement builds as seen on Jedda & Raffs faces.
    Saturday's efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Had a far crack at completing the oven over last week had Thursday and Friday off work, hoping to finish today.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Today's update, laid oven arch and commenced fifth row.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Started oven and entry arches, I was thinking of including a thermal break but an update of Ben,s kit now keys third row brick into oven arch to increase stability of entry. If you look at the last photo you can see I have not mortared the vertical joint of the other rows thought this might provide some thermal resistance, will caulk with high temp sealant.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    For your application I'd be using 3:1:1 vermicrete, sand , cement.It will give you a lightweight concrete that's fairly strong, not a bad insulator and easy to work.
    Thanks Dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

For your application I'd be using 3:1:1 vermicrete, sand , cement.It will give you a lightweight concrete that's fairly strong, not a bad insulator and easy to work.
    Last edited by david s; 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Anthony
    I can't see why not ..... You could upgrade the Portland cement content and add some sand as well. When you think about its not like you are trying to get the best insulation layer ... That's already there.
    Just a thought
    Regards dave
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Yes the addition of sand and more cement also makes the mix easier to work and it behaves more like normal concrete to level.
    Thanks, any suggestions on volume ratio perlite, sand, cement?

Leave a comment:

• Awild8
    replied

looking good mate, great to see Bens kit being built just before I starting putting mine together in the next few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes the addition of sand and more cement also makes the mix easier to work and it behaves more like normal concrete to level.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Anthony
    I can't see why not ..... You could upgrade the Portland cement content and add some sand as well. When you think about its not like you are trying to get the best insulation layer ... That's already there.
    Just a thought
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Anthony
    Building with a precut kit... I can see the advantages of not having to worry about the arch transition etc etc. It's certainly coming ahead quite well.
    Are you still aiming for the "oven pic " you posted earlier with the oven hearth height the same as the surrounding base. That look is certainly smart and clean.
    Love your work
    Regards dave
    Thanks for your kind words Dave,
    I was surprised at progress over weekend but I guess all the hard yakka cutting bricks has been done for me.
    Yes still planning to finish level, will place cut down face bricks around edge to finish about 30mm below hearth top surface then build up base with perlite concrete to level of bricks (-30mm) and then have some granite tops made to sit flush.
    Not sure if perlite concrete will give a solid enough base to secure granite too, any ideas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X