X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrocAu
    replied
    Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

If you look around it did happen before, one of threads had same signs as in wet insulation under floor and underside of slab getting quite warm.
    I can't remember if I mention but during last fire water forced out and made wet patch where the cracks are.
    Slab itself must be very strong as it didn't let the cracks travel all the way across, maybe even extra rebar around outer edges could stop it, who knows but too late for me
    All cracks close up a lot after temperature drops so I feel very confident that it is cosmetic issue only, if whole thing had serious problem there is no way it would pull itself back like this

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey Croc

How soon did you start building the oven from when you layed the hearth slab? Did you give it anytime to cure.

I left my base slab sit for nearly a month before I started constructing anything on it. I watered it and kept it wet for about 2 weeks.

I wont have the problem with hearth slab as I used Hebel Panel [well supported] for my hearth slab. Added benefit that it is also insulating.

I haven't heard of anyone else having structural slab cracks previously finding it strange.

Leave a comment:

• CrocAu
    replied

Do slab as flat and level as you can so you won't have to mortar calsil boards down as that makes them suck in lots of water. To avoids cracks keep going small and then medium fires for long enough to see more even temperatures between walls and dome. And monitor underside of your slab, if this gets over 40c don't progress to bigger fires over many hours at the time just back off it isn't ready yet, put the door on and start again next day.
    My cracks are due to too hot too soon, if I knew what I know today I would not have structural slab cracks
    Last edited by CrocAu; 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Thanks Croc
    I have sub you build and following the cracking issues so I might hit you up for suggestions when I get to the pouring of slab.

Leave a comment:

• CrocAu
    replied

few quick tips off my head, i will post them without any organized order just as i remember them as i follow your progress

when you cure oven for first few days while doing small fires do NOT put install your chimney and do not put door in place after you done curing.
    condensation from the first fires in wet oven make quite the mess at the entrance from the door and chimney is not getting hot enough to burn off or whatever it happens to the black tar so it ends up dripping on your flute gallery

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by benguilford View Post
    you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
    You will find the oven a whole lot easier to work with the hearth and surrounds at the same level, sliding hot pans of food around for one thing is a breeze rather than a major head ache.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hmm lifting slab to floor height food for thought. aesthetically it looks better. Not sure how it would go on mine outer arch comes all the way to the front, but might ponder that one.
    But does look very neat and pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

.... Or if you get really carried away, you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
    I agree it looks great. In the scheme of things it's really not that much extra work - maybe a day to form up and pour a bit more concrete is all.

Leave a comment:

• benguilford
    replied

Originally posted by Liteceeper View Post

Question for Ben, have bricks to cover calsil board at oven entrance been supplied in kit and will the 50mm I have allowed be enough room to finish flush with edge of slab?

Hope to commence bricklaying on weekend, gulp

liteceeper
    Good morning! At this stage we haven't included the bricks for sealing off around the Calsil board at the oven entrance, as everyone wants to do something different! Happy to send you some if you want, we can cut them to size for you. The 50mm allowance is ample, you don't have to use firebrick at this point, you could use just about anything you wanted to - tiles, pavers, you could even cut some 50mm thick sections of the bricks you're using for your base, and dress it up with those. Entirely up to you. Or if you get really carried away, you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
    Last edited by benguilford; 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Alright, enough of us hijacking this thread - bring on the build!
    OK here comes some preliminary questions on stand build, hopefully Brickie can peruse and advise

I will be using bricks left over from my extension built, they are PGH not sure what material they are made of

I've posted some photos of bricks to be used, will they be OK?. I have drawn up a CAD brick bond ( English bond) will this support the slab (1800 x 1800)?

Does the slab (100mm) require additional support?

I have some limitations with existing wall and trying to allow the patio doors to open fully. So my layout may seen a bit confused, I have made templates from Ben's floor plans and did a layout on workshop floor, this is the best fit I can come up with, any suggestions welcomed.

Thumbnails (Blue) first layer of bricks. (Pink) second layer of bricks. (Green) Queens (Yellow) Slab outline.

total 10 rows of bricks, top two rows will be across stand doorway with galvanised lintel bars.

Question for Ben, have bricks to cover calsil board at oven entrance been supplied in kit and will the 50mm I have allowed be enough room to finish flush with edge of slab?

Hope to commence bricklaying on weekend, gulp

liteceeper
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Ben nice too see you making some posts. May not have used your lit in the end. But I thank you very humbly for your assistance.

Btw you can blame brickie as I ended up using some bricks he had available, and you know about the base.

But great to see you still pop in.
    I have recommended your kit to quite a few fellow builders.

And you have putt together a world class kit.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• benguilford
    replied

Alright, enough of us hijacking this thread - bring on the build!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Brickie you'll have to drop by some day for a beer, I'd love to pick that brain of yours...
    Like wise, you have a world beating kit, now all it needs is some world marketing to take off.....not me sorry, but I may know someone.

Pm me with a meet time, date.

Leave a comment:

• benguilford
    replied

Thanks Brickie, and thank you to everyone for your kind comments! The PreCut kit is something we've been working on for 2 years now and we're very happy with the final result.

Crocau is too right, the website REALLY needs some work done to it, but we've been too busy with development to worry about that just yet. Once we're done with this phase we'll look at expanding our advertising and so on. Don't worry, you won't catch me spruiking on the forum!

Brickie you'll have to drop by some day for a beer, I'd love to pick that brain of yours...

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

$2300 is prolly cheap when you consider its all been done for you and all you have to do is slot it all together on top of a base.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X