AZ Piazzalos Unite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

I got some mesquite from him (bartered a computer for wood) and it is burning well this morning. I love the fact that this stuff is really fragrant - but we will see if my wife agrees
    That's cool, mesquite is definitely fragrant, is that for your pizzas? I am looking for a cheap source of wood because next weekend is going to be the 1st round of actual cooking, have some sour dough bread and pizzas planned. Maybe even a lasagna.

Here are some pics of my 1st and 2nd fires. The inside cooking dimension wound up being 33 inches deep from the very back of the door and 36 inches wide.

Comment

Oh the curing fires. Hard to have to wait!

Call Thomas at 480-203-4760.

He is a nice guy and somewhat chatty. This is just a side thing for him (he has a small engine repair shop), but has a lot of wood. Located at Bell and 51 by PV hospital.

There are others out there down in Guadalupe/Tempe.

CW

p.s. my wife said she likes that barter thing - computers for wood! I have plenty to last me a few burnings
      Last edited by C5dad; 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM.
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

^^^^^ thanks for the tip on the wood... Made some good progress on the roof, door, and brick work today. Should be ready to fire up for real next weekend. How did your mesquite cooking turn out?

Comment

Many good pizzas and too hot for a roast. I heated the oven for about 8 hours yesterday to aide in drying the insulation. I closed the oven using large bricks and will check it when I get home tonight - interested in how hot it still is!!

Mesquite is an excellent hot wood - my arm hairs will attest to that!

Comment

So how did the insulation work for you? Still pretty warmm in there the next day?
            I lit my first real fire yesterday but havent recieved my laser thermo in the mail yet so dont know how hot it got in there. Felt like 500 plus from the door but I dont want to speculate.

Comment

The warmth stayed for two days, though the insulation was kicking out tons o water - 5 bags of pearlite x about 7 gal water (each bag) = 35 gallons water = 292 lb water. I think it will take some time to really cook the water out. Thank goodness for low humidty levels in the desert!

Comment

First pizzas today!!! Happy with the results for the first go round, after it cools a bit the sour dough is going in.

Comment

Looking good. How was the heat management portion? You will be blowing out a lot of water from the vermiculite for a bit.

Comment

Heat was pretty good, the floor stayed 6-700F while I was doing pizza. Seemed to dissipate quicker than I would have hoped but I didn't fire it fully because a lack of wood. But I got a half cord of pecan this morning and am going to go all out this weekend for super bowl! Going to have about 15 people here so it will definitely be a trial by FIRE....

Comment

You may want to do another burn on Fri/Sat to get the oven prepped and warmed up and practice a few things prior to the game - like I am forced to practice wings saturday to get ready for the game - do not want to mess up a critical item

Comment

Chris,

That is so funny....."forced" LOL. I'm sure you don't need any excuses to light up the dragon. I'm always planning something with my oven so's I can toss in logs and enjoy the experience. Maybe it is the "pyro" in me. Lately I've been experimenting with pallet poplar, oak, palo verde and mesquite. I like the mesquite since it adds long lasting embers and a great aroma.

Cheers,
                        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

After swapping a computer for mesquite, I dont know if I could go to anything else, barring pecan. The coals are so damn long lived. Plus I just love the smell of the mesquite. Lastly, since I also run a smoker (oh, did I hear pulled pork also this weekend) there is not a worry about having the right stuff. I am so glad that I have a Costco and Sams so close to the house for supplies. Since firing up the oven, I have used 10 pounds of cheese alone! Now for some good supplies, I got to look a little harder.

Comment

Definitely check out the fresh mozzarella at Gilbert Pizza since you're right here in Gilbert. Delicious, homemade, and no more expensive than the stuff I buy at Trader Joe's.
                            Nikki

Comment

Man, you guys are killing me! It is hard to see you guys firing your up while I am still trying to finish mine lol. Btw...the ovens look great.

Have you guys tried to make you own mozzarella yet? It is amazingly easy, quick, and tastes better than anything that I have been able to buy. You can basically make it for the cost of a gallon of milk and it will give you about a pound of cheese.

Btw....I am just a little further SE of you guys and thanks for the tips on the materials and ingredients!

Comment

I'd like to try making my own mozzarella, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm spoiled with Gilbert Pizza's homemade stuff for sale right across the street, under a mile from my house. ;-) Do you have a book or website with directions you recommend?
                                Nikki

Comment

Working...
                                X