Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Here is the timber sitting loosely in place. There was a lot of work with a saw, jigsaw, planer and sander to get it to fit. The recess in front of the oven is to flush mount a piece of stainless steel. The funny, triangular piece of timber is to be mounted to the front right corner of the bench, against the rock to cover the corner of the wood store.

And here is the unbent stainless steel just sitting in its slot. I wanted to ensure the timber would not be damaged by the heat of the oven so I have cooked in the oven several times with it just sitting like this, and there hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-04-2018, 11:50 PM.
    Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

With the steel folded and the timber partially finished I am very pleased with the look. Again, this is still just sitting loosely in place - it is yet to be properly attached. The stainless steel was folded so that the back goes down below the bottom of the timber, into a groove in the concrete. You can also see a pizza peel I made out of a second piece of stainless (I bought 2 in case I mucked one up).

Detail of the left end

And the right end showing the fit against the uneven rock.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-04-2018, 11:54 PM.
      Sharkey.

Comment

great build stunning location

Comment

Expect the radiant heat from the oven to make that piece of stainless hot enough to fry an egg on. It will tend to cook your timber underneath, but probably not quite enough for it to be a fire hazard. I have a similar piece of stainless bridging the gap between my trailer side and the ovens decorative arch. It is about 400mm x400mm and has got so hot that it has melted the nylon protecting feet that sit between the stainless sheet and the trailer sides.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Great job scribing into the ledge! Did you prime the cuts or put a capillary break in between?
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Time for an update.

The triangular fill-in piece took most of a day to complete. I had to shape it to fit the rock then I attached it using a few dowel joints to the timber at one end and a dyna bolt into the rock at the other. I then shaped a timber plug and covered the bolt head. Then an hour or so of sanding to finish it off.

All the timber was sealed all around before being glued in place. Then the edge gap was filled with silicone and then more sealant applied over that.

Here is a photo of the oven warming up on Saturday night. The benchtop works really well for pizza making and has plenty of depth to store containers of ingredients.

The stainless steel gets warm, but not as hot as I was expecting. The innermost bit is just too hot to touch but you can rest your hand on the outer part no problem.

I have started the prep work for the enclosure. The gutter has been mounted to the rock at the back. The vertical groove cut into the rock is for my enclosure wall to slot into. The enclosure is going to be mini corrugated iron - the same profile as the scrap piece that is resting on the top to catch the water that drips over the rock above, but in plain silver gal.
              Last edited by Sharkey; 01-04-2018, 11:57 PM.
              Sharkey.

Comment

Gudday
                Love your work!!!be proud
                Regards Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Looks awesome! Keep it up!

Bert
                  Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Amazing work mate!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Comment

Looks awesome. Great work and the photography does it justice as well.

Cheers ........... Steve
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Very very nice!
                        Beautiful functional art!
                        Really!

Chris

Comment

Sharkey! You're back!

Awesome build, and great photo updates on your WFO counters. Keep up the good work. Congrats!

Aceves

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I have been doing more work on my enclosure. I wasn?t exactly sure how it was going to work so I have not purchased all the bits I need until I work it out.

After shaping my timber counter to fit the uneven shape of the rock I knew that cutting corrugated iron to fit neatly with the rock would be very difficult. Also, I wanted to cut it to fit around the oven arch, without it actually touching the bricks, but then I would need a way to hide the gap between the iron and the arch. Anyway, I came up with this.

I decided to make a decorative arch that would hide the edge of the corrugated iron, but it would need to extend back beyond the front of the oven a bit. My first idea was to use some nice bricks and cut them to shape. Then I thought about buying some sandstone pavers and cutting them up. But in the end I decided that natural, weathered sandstone would be perfect so I started searching around my place for some suitable flat sandstone rocks. I ended up with seven rocks cut something like this:

I had a sheet of the mini corrugated iron so before I fastened the decorative arch I wanted to cut the iron to fit around arch. But I also needed to make it fit the natural rock neatly, which is a much bigger challenge. So, after some more work with the angle grinder I had this:

And here are most of the pieces just sitting in place. Cutting the iron to fit the rock on the left was challenging to say the least. I roughly cut a cardboard template, then traced that (with improvements) onto another cardboard template. When I had that fitting ok I traced that onto a sheet of plywood and cut with a jigsaw. I then shaped that until it fit perfectly, and then traced that onto the corrugated iron.

This was enough to demonstrate that my idea was feasible so I fastened the decorative arch in place and then ground the inside edge to match the brick arch.

Here is the finished decorative arch with one sheet of the corrugated iron resting in place.

I am really pleased with how it looks and very satisfied with how neat the finish between the rock and the iron is.

I now have a plan for the rest of the job. I need to build a small pier where the pile of bricks is in the top left corner. I also need to buy some metal studs so that I don?t have timber anywhere near the chimney.
                            Last edited by Sharkey; 01-05-2018, 12:01 AM. Reason: Photobucket - need I say more?
                            Sharkey.

Comment

Gudday
                              That sandstone arch is very very handsome addition to the build. You should be chuffed I recon !!!!

Regards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

very nice!
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X