• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okn
    replied
    Re: The build has begun!

Brian,

That looks MARVELOUS! What an awesome choice! Have you decide how you're going to do the walls?

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Copper...! Very nice

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

The roof is now complete.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

John,
    Thanks, I'm having a guy that works with copper do the installation and he had the supplies for the roof. I know there is a store in Santa Barbara that sells copper and I think it is called Copper Supply.
    Once the roof is finished this Saturday I will begin the process of coating it so the copper color remains.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Dang, Brian! That's a pretty roof! Where did you get the copper?
    John

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Here is a photo of the roof so far. Next Saturday it should be finished.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Ken,

Thank you, and yes I did think about filling with vermiculite in addition to the 3 inches of blanket insulation. Unfortunately I had to bring the roof lower so there wasn't any room above the dome to fill so I decided not to use it. I have found the blanket insulation that I'm using for my location holds the heat well.

Thanks again,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• k.r.brouwer@att.net
    replied

Brian:

Very nice build. Have you given any thought to covering the whole dome with vermiculite. It could just be poured in loose, very little time and $$ to do this. I did this with mine, and it really holds the heat.

Ken Brouwer

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Well It has been a little while since I have had much done on my project. I have been looking into different types of roofing and I have finally decided on a copper roof. I have an installer arriving this Saturday to cover the roof with copper. I'm really looking forward to having the roof covered and not having to place a canopy over every time it rains. There is a product that I purchased for when the roof is finished that will allow the copper to retain the shine and not oxidize. We didn't want the roof to patina into the green that copper so typically does in time. I'll have photos sometime after this Saturday of the roof.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

The black ones are EPDM and are good for 200C, OK for outside a double flue. For a single flue you need the red silicon which is good for 250C

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Originally posted by chidding View Post
    Oh, i found nice black ones in different shapes/sizes.. just have to look around

EPDM and Silicone Pipe Boots for Roof Penetration sealing and retrofit applications - for example in black..
    Thanks chidding, I see it can come in black. The other thing about the boot is that it doesn't look that good up close and my oven has a low roof were you can see it very easily especially from the side. So I started to look for alternatives.

A friend of mine mentioned the roof would look good if it were a copper roof. It would really look nice as it ages. He knew a guy that does copper work and I had him come over to look at it. We talked about the project and it looks like I might go for the copper roof, as it will last as long as the pizza oven will.
    Last edited by brianventura; 09-09-2011, 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    chidding,

I did have a roofing supply store recommend it but I didn't like the look. It was a big red boot. So maybe a storm coller with some high temp. caulking. The chimney is a double walled duravent pipe.
    Oh, i found nice black ones in different shapes/sizes.. just have to look around

EPDM and Silicone Pipe Boots for Roof Penetration sealing and retrofit applications - for example in black..

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Originally posted by chidding View Post
    Why not just use a high temp silicone flushing? really easy as it comes in one size with cutouts for the chimney diameter.. you can use any material you want..

But is your chimney double walled or single?

If its insulated.. above is the best route.. try a plumbing store for the flushings.. tis where i got mine.
    chidding,

I did have a roofing supply store recommend it but I didn't like the look. It was a big red boot. So maybe a storm coller with some high temp. caulking. The chimney is a double walled duravent pipe.

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Why not just use a high temp silicone flushing? really easy as it comes in one size with cutouts for the chimney diameter.. you can use any material you want..

But is your chimney double walled or single?

If its insulated.. above is the best route.. try a plumbing store for the flushings.. tis where i got mine.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

I have been trying to decide on what type of roofing I should install. One of the problems I have is coming up with a way to sufficiently water seal around the vent pipe. Since it is right in the middle of the ridge I have been drawing up some ideas to flash the area but I'm not confident they will work. I was trying to keep from using any wood for the roof because of the possible heat produced, but after using the oven I find that the outside of blanket is warm and is never hot enough to be a threat. So I will place plywood on top to install the roofing to.
    I'm actually looking into the idea of having a copper roof on top, it should last for years. After it ages it might look nice giving the oven an old look. One thing for sure is I better get something on top before the rains start.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X