Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Stonecutter, finally had a little time to go though your build. Like everyone else has already said, outstanding workmanship. The part that really make me appreciate your build is how you have the foresight to vision how every item compliments the other. Great job!!!!
    Hey thanks! I pretty much just used what I had laying around, and it seemed to work out well enough.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Garden is coming along great this year, in spite of the lack of rain. Russ, the tomato plants are looking very good, and I should get a nice batch of seed if you want some third gens. One pic at a time with the iPad...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	304562
      Last edited by stonecutter; 05-25-2014, 03:54 PM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Same side of the garden as above, different angle. We've got many different kinds of pepper plants going too...

Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	304563
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Second section, more tomatoes and herbs...

Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	304564
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Wow, those SM are really doing well, you must have a green thumb.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russ, I'm very happy with these plants. We amended the soil with two yards of aged compost and peat moss for water retention. I never did try to replicate volcanic soil...I just don't have the extra time.

I'm going to harvest the seeds from the best plants. I think it would be great if we establish a seed co-op.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I've got some fruit coming in, roughly counted about 15 tomatoes with lots of blossoms coming in.

Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	304795
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

That's one fine looking plant you have there. They sure are growing fast.
                  My Build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

SC,

Both Gulf's and your plants are doing very well. All I can say is my plants are cousins........but it is great to see that my harvesting of the SM seeds last year are doing so well in your end the country. Be sure to harvest a few from this year's crop and pass them on to your friends.
                    Russell

Comment

I was planning on sending you seeds first,Russ. I planted everything you gave me, all of them germinated. I gave away all but 24, and all mine have survived and are growing like weeds. I have to pick up tomato cages tomorrow or theses plant may be laying on the ground in a couple days. I'm thinking I can harvest the first batch in a couple weeks or less...I'm not sure exactly.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Had some blossom end rot with some of the earlier tomatoes, but took care of that with a better watering schedule and some calcium. Even with amending the soil, it's hard to keep an adequate moisture level. I may need to get some soaker hoses.

Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	305001
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

24 Plant?? That's a lot of maters, the SM heirlooms are not a big a producer compared to the genetically modified maters but you are still going to have a ton. What did you use to add calcium to your soil? I need to do the same as well. I always seem to get blossom end rot on the first few maters no matter what the variety.
                          Russell

Comment

24 yes, lol. I planted all the seeds you gave me, over 50....in peat trays. I gave some to my parents and friends. I was hedging my bets!

I'm not home right now, I'll have to look and see what we used. I did some research on BER, some factors are planting in cold soil and under watering too.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Some very healthy looking plants there, Stonecutter! Looks like it's going to be a good year for "maters" .

Russell, I mixed about a double hand full of bonemeal into the soil directly under my plants this year for calcium. About a half a hand full of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for root production. And also, some ash from the oven.

Matt,
                              I too, am having issues with a regular watering schedule. I will definately be using soaker hoses for next years crop. I planted some in large elevated buckets. Those, will probably get retrofitted with soakers this weekend .

Joe
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                                Some very healthy looking plants there, Stonecutter! Looks like it's going to be a good year for "maters" .

Russell, I mixed about a double hand full of bonemeal into the soil directly under my plants this year for calcium. About a half a hand full of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for root production. And also, some ash from the oven.

Matt,
                                I too, am having issues with a regular watering schedule. I will definately be using soaker hoses for next years crop. I planted some in large elevated buckets. Those, will probably get retrofitted with soakers this weekend .

Joe
                                I hope I can get enough to can a few jars. I knew about calcium deficiency before, but I didn't know lack of water and planting seeds in cold ground ( not a fact here) also caused BER.

The good woman used a product called rot stop..so far, it did!

Bonide

I'm pessimistic that these SM's will taste like the ones grown in Italy, but we'll see. I like the looks of the plants, and the rest of the garden is doing great too...we have eggplant, Habs & Japs, chilies, tomatillos, purple and sweet basil....and a few other things.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X