Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Way to go Mike! It just looks wonderful
    Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

Congratulations Mike!

What a pizza! I noticed that everyone is in jackets but the chef or should I say the Pizzaiola is in short sleeves . Lots of radiant heat coming out of that beauty eh?

I'm about a week away from my first pizza attempt... Can't wait!

Great job!
      Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I'm usually that idiot who's out shoveling snow in shorts! Like I said, I'm a born Michigander. I don't know how you guys down south can take all that heat!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

OK, I'm back at it! Our weather this spring has not been very conducive to building. I've been filling my time pouring over the old threads of this forum, changing my ideas a thousand times.

We plan a walled enclosure with a stone veneer covering it.

Today, I build a decorative arch from Old Detroit brick, using a limestone keystone. It still needs to be cleaned up. I'm really happy that's my last arch!
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Looks great Mike! I love the colors in the brick. And the detail of the limestone keystone is great. I think you are doing it the right way: Figure out your decorative arch 1st, then build around it. My plywood forms look exactly like yours: some strips of duct tape to help round it out. Works great. Your deco-arch makes a nice statement.
            Good weather is just around the corner for you Michiganers, I think you'll be done with the enclosure in no time. Say, did you cut that limestone "key" into that shape? Its really cool. Keep up the fine work, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks, Dino. I'm happy with the brick choice. Not sure what I'm going to do to fill the void between the arch and in front yet. I need to raise the level up a few inches to get in the same plane as the oven floor.

I bought the limestone key just like that at the local brickyard. It's a standard keystone used for house brickwork. They had several sizes and styles (beveled edge, etc)
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Nice job, Mike! I like the keystone. I'll have to show that picture to the boss. And congrats on being done with the arches! May they stand a thousand years.

Have you decided how to raise the landing? I'm debating whether I should use concrete or look for a tile or slab of some sort that will fit in that space.
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Mike,

I kinda like my hearth above the counter. It allowed me to use my ash catcher / dumper fairly easy without needing three hands. Either way you go, looking good!

Les...
                  Last edited by Les; 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, I raised this question a few weeks ago in a discussion. Your thoughts?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...oven-6839.html
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Sorry I missed your question Mike. I have no regrets. I wanted the entire counter to be the same level - if I brought it up to my hearth (which in hind sight, I should have made it a little bit higher), then it would have been a pain to BBQ.

Les...

Comment

I Love your arch, can't wait to start my oven, not far away now!!

Comment

Working nights this week, so I was able to take advantage of a nice day (sleep is over rated!)

I worked out some framing for the enclosure. I've never worked with steel studs before. I actually like them quite a bit. I used Tapcon screws to secure the track. I found 20 g steel studs locally, not much more money, so I decided to use them for the supports. The steel seems to be very forgiving. At first, seemed a little flimsy. As the walls tied into each other, it became quite sturdy. Each stud brought everything in real plumb and square. Nice to work with. I've been luck, no stitches (yet).

I don't own a chop saw, so I cut everything with a pair of Aviation snips. It's a little tough with the thicker steel, but I couldn't justify another purchase.
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Mike - I didn't go this route, but I think you got it on the run. I'm going to enjoy watching your "wrap". I wanted to go that way but the wife didn't want me to block her view of the yard

Comment

Very funny. I wanted to go the "igloo" route, but my wife wanted me to block the view of the fence!!!
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

I may have made a mistake. Over the winter, the chimney flue liner got knocked with the tarp. I took it off this spring to reset it.

I framed the oven with steel studs for the enclosure. When I went to put the flue back in, I realized it was bigger than I planned. It touches against the steel framing. I know there is supposed to be a gap all the way around. Will it cause a problem to have the flue touch against the framing like this? (Keep in mind that the flue is mortared down, and the framing is bolted to the cement slab already!)
                                Last edited by mfiore; 06-12-2009, 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X