No announcement yet.

My IT design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have marked each cut on on each brick individually. The tdc is easiest because the level of the cut is easiest. The further out from tdc and the more the dome support cut needs to be adjusted, to keep the dome support level.

Comment

I feel the arch support gets more or less in the way depending on the width of the opening. The wider the door, the more into the dome the arch support needs to go.

Sometimes the thinking takes too much of my time that should be dedicated to setting bricks. But in the end, I want a product that I am happy with.

My build location is on land owned by by my family since 1971. When my dad passed away, I ended up with some of this property. I have built a legacy home for my family and hopefully thei grandchildren want to be here.

Comment

I built the fireplace recently as part of my current oven build. i built the house starting in 2007 and finished in 2015 (and counting).
        I built the pool four years ago.

I am a a very stubborn DIYer.

Comment

Thanks JR Pizza - I did not see your reply until about 5 minutes ago - I am still working on understanding. I have not started a build thread yet. I could post a pic of my platform. I am receiving FB board by Thursday. I want to put down the floor by the weekend but I do have questions and I think I will post some of the immediate questions on the Newbie board in a few moments.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Should I put insulation on before or after starting the curing fires?

Comment

Originally posted by Dyerema View Post
                    Should I put insulation on before or after starting the curing fires?
                    I think this has been debated a lot on this forum, but I am sold on insulation before fires. It minimizes the thermal shock factor.
                    - seth s.

my build (in progress)

Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

Comment

This is what happens to an uninsulated flue tile. Granted it’s way thinner than a 2” thick casting or a 4” thick brick wall, but the principle remains the same, one side hot, the other cold, sets up extreme uneven expansion leading to stress and possible cracking.
                      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...449#post417449
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ok, I had two responses and two opposing opinions. Thanks to both for your responses. In the end, I guess insulating first is the traditional method. I might be be slow to understand the principles but thermal shock seems to come from two sides. Sing different temperatures (as shown in the video link). If waiting for insulation is the only challenge (time), I can wait. I also think that by the time I am done installing fire blanket (3 boxes from Forno bravo) and further covering that with some vermiculite, I will add some more moisture, at least to the outside. And that that probably would benefit from the curing fires.

Tganks again to all who who help us newbies out.

Comment

Ok, I had two responses and two opposing opinions.....
                          Both posts appear to me to agree on insulating the dome before the drying fires. I am also in the insulating before firing camp..... with a couple of reservations.

Yes, definately Insulate before the drying fires. But, if you intend to encapsulate the insulation (render / stuco), before firing, find some place for the steam to go such as a relief vent. Wether or not the vent is installed temporary or permanent.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Darn. I have to apologize. I have had such a head cold this past week. Thanks Gulf.

Comment

Comment

Questions

1. I plan to use regular tie wire and “tapcon” concrete screws to hold the three boxes of fb insulation in place until the curing fires are done and the it will be covered with vcrete. Any issues? (I was concerned about the heat in these anchors, but I am going to put an inc or two of vcrete, so I was thinking all would be good)

2. Vcrete at 5-1–just normal concrete (not refractory). Any issue?

fyi. I will build a building around this as we have snow in the winter and rainy spring seasons.

I picked up an 8” anchor plate; 5’ of insulated pipe and a proper chimney cap with spark arrester yesterday AND I am getting excited!!

Comment

Working...
                                X