No announcement yet.

My IT design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As always...thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience so freely on this site. You really are a great bunch of folks!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vcrete K values.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	417566 8 to 10 to 1 vcrete is better for the dome, 5 to 1 vcrete is for under the floor. Attached are the K values of the different ratios. But since you are enclosing, is there a need for vcrete on the dome? I tapcon into the concrete hearth so I could tie wire the insulation down.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-23-2019, 04:23 PM.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell. That makes sense to not drill into the dome.

Re: vcrete on the dome...I just thought more insulation is better.

Comment

Comment

Russell. Can I simply squish this gasket between the upright brisk and arch bricks. That leaves 3/8” gap on the sides. Smaller on top because I did cut a groove into the arch and plan to glue the gasket into that groove.

Comment

To avoid drilling into the concrete you can simply place lengths of thin tie wire, longer than the width of your floor insulation, between the supporting slab and the floor insulation. You can then tie onto the ends of the wires that stick out. I actually don’t bother to tie down the blanket, but just build the vermicrete straight over it.
              Last edited by david s; 10-23-2019, 03:09 PM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David. Does that mean you put the wire down first? I can’t velieve the wire will push through from one side to the other with the weight of the dome in place on top

Comment

Try screwing long deck screws in to the board insulation just above the concrete hearth. Also, brick wall ties have enough strength to be wedged under the insulation for a few inches. The brick wall tie has pre-drilled holes that can be used for threading wire.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 10-23-2019, 05:19 PM.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf. That is a good idea. This is not a structural issue and strenfmgtg needs are lower.

Comment

No particular need for great strength I was trying to convey when the iPhone demons took over

Comment

Comment

My dream for the chimney

Comment

Yes, just lay the wire on the concrete slab and place the insulation over it. Then make some loops on the exposed ends that you can attach onto.
                            Last edited by david s; 10-24-2019, 02:19 AM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Comment

It really seems like thanksgiving turkey is a real possibility (now our Canadian thanksgiving happened October 14, so technically I missed this goal, but one holiday is as good as the next when you are cooking in an oven you built with your own hands!!!

days away from curing fires now.

Thanks to all who contributed to my understanding of this build process!!

Comment

Working...
                                X