X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Show us your Door Thread

Good to see someone built a portal pot lid door, I never use mine with a live fire but nice job on yours.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Just thought I should link to page 20 on my build. I created 3 doors.
    I used technology that was quick and easy for me. I did not want to spend days or weeks just for doors. The insulated doors have good thermal conductivity characteristics, as metal is limited to the hot face side.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...-19976-20.html

Hope it helps someone.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Just moving this up to to took ages to find. Looking for ideas.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Thanks for the advice. Have not tried the pizza directly on the brick yet--have to make the right tools. Eventually I will find the right routine and make some very special pizzas---maybe? What we made on Sunday, put smiles on the faces of the youngsters and oldsters that showed up. A fun for all evening --a break from the summer heat!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Nice door Mikku. Very tidy indeed.

You might get your crust to puff some if you back the toppings off a bit from the edge but they do look tasty!

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Could not find the photos--now OK.
    scaffold WFO cover for week-end.
    wood pile structure to be crashed and rebuilt.
    chimney cap to keep rain out during a downpour! Man did we have rain both Saturday and Sunday--but oven still dry!
    View inside "crack less" oven after maybe 15 hot burns--still "Crack less castable" Harrah!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	296338

Name:	IMG_0052a.jpg
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	296339

Name:	IMG_0054a.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	296340

Name:	IMG_0056a.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	296341

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Still no stand for the WFO, use pipe scaffolding and corrugated sheet metal to keep the rain away... Also doing pizza "Japanese way" --ON YOUR KNEES--
    Brickie might like that comment! At least I have settled on a location for the oven. Need to crash my wood pile structure and make a larger one that will accommodate the oven in the same construction...plan to make it out of 2" square tubing and c channel. Should be cheap enough and keep the weather away. That is the most important thing anyway...not trying to make an architectural statement. Just a simple build.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

I thought the welds were nice as well. My friend (70) didn't weld it though, his shop foreman has a lot younger eyes and he is really talented. It is amazing to see some of the stuff they make out of stainless for local food manufacturers--nothing they do is standard.

Russell, I did not talk to him about your copper starters, but contact by private message and we can e-mail stuff easily. The first time I baked lots of pizza for friends--he was the "oven master"; I stretched the dough and did toppings. Made 15 pizza on Sunday for some of my neighbors and friends. Did not get the big puff like forno bravo pics but had good crust and fresh toppings.

Still no peels so baking on pizza pans and using pliers to get the pans out--pretty ghetto but lots of good comments on pizza flavor.

His name is Mr. Shindo and he is displaying his work from Sunday!

Name:	IMG_0041a.jpg
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	296336

Name:	IMG_0039a.jpg
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	296337

Shindo is a couple of years younger than me, his hobby is biking--spent the Friday thru Sunday morning at a mountain bike event in Nagano. Came back with some nasty bruises from tipping over. He usually bikes on the highways with his expensive CANNONDALE bike and sporty Italian Racing Team colors.. I usually order "new year fashion and helmets for him from Italy"--he is always dressed with appropriate race ware for the current season. One of the Italian Race team members gave him the label "oji team member"--meaning grandfather... but he still performs well in his age group.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice tig welds by your friend. Did by chance, did you ever ask you copper craftsman friend about possible ways for me to make a starter copper shingle?

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Name:	IMG_0069a.jpg
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	296333

Name:	IMG_0070a.jpg
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	296334

Here are a couple more that you can see the welds required to fabricate this door. Really pretty simple if you have the right tools.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Put ceramic fiber into my door tonight along with mounting the thermometer. Still have to seal the edges with stove cement and adhere the rope gasket material to perimeter. That is in the next few days along with the carved wooden handles..

Here are the pics--pretty self explanatory, maybe you can see some of the welds on the door halves before assembly.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

I chose to have someone fabricate my door for me. simply because what I designed required precision bending of stainless, welding of a pipe coupling to a sheet of .8mm stainless, thru bolts or sleeves welded in place ---etc. All these things I can do if the equipment or tools are available to me---but it was easier to give a little business to my friend--horsetrade services at no money exchange--we both did things that we enjoyed doing (stresslessly) if that is an English word! As of today, I have welding equipment available to me-- I did an overhaul of a gasoline engine operated welder/ generator --and now I can weld to my hearts content! Even bought a welding hood that immediately changes from clear to tinted when an arc is struck... I am looking forward to a lot of little welding projects--- maybe part of the WFO enclosure and stand construction!!!

A recommendation to any of you hobbyests out there--if you have a little space, get a welder! Fun to make things and also a great hobby!

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    yes I saw that too, thanks!

He was smart and used rivets. I would have done that if I had thought of it! Instead I struggled a bit with sheet metal crews!
    Hey both have their place, if you want to disassemble something in the future, sheetmetal screws are best--I know that you can drill out pop rivets but screws are still better! But that is only my opinion!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I didn't make a plan. I just used the inner arch form as the starting template and allowed a small clearance for the inner skin plus the thickness of the aluminium angle. I used that as the template for the outer skin adding an inch on each side and top to close against the reveal.

I cut the angle so I could bend it at the corners and have no sharp edges at the corners and fitted the inner skin inside that. I used short pieces of the same size angle attached to that to attach the outer skin, drilled the holes for the rivets to assemble the two skins and then screwed the outer skin to the timber portion before assembling that part. The insulating ceramic fibre was then stuffed into the cavity and a strip of aluminium riveted to the top edge to seal the deal.

When I attached the metal outer skin to the timber I left the timber about 1/8th of an inch proud of the metal so when it was put into the inner arch opening it is inclined to lean a little into the reveal to seal it.

I know this sounds convoluted but the beauty of the rivets is that if you get the assembly sequence out of step you can always drill them out and make a recovery. (Learned wisdom )

I have a couple more pics but they don't inform the process any better than the ones I have posted. I am a prolific photographer but for some reason I didn't capture this part of the build in any detail.

I hope this wordy explanation is of some use to someone.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Greenman - Do you have pics of the flat cut metal pieces -or maybe a drawing? I think it would be great to show the process here for other builders if you have those available

Leave a comment:

Working...
X