X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenman
    replied
    Re: Show us your Door Thread

Thanks for the compliments. I went for the simplest construction method and since lego melts then pop rivets and aluminium were the next choice.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Great door Steve (Geenman).
    So are those rivets? I thought welding is beyond me but I don't know a thing about riveting either.

pretty cool door (and thanks Russell Utahbeehive) I also checked out the Michigan builds door too. thanks,
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That is a sweet door. I plan on using rivets too....I've got a ton of SS rivets and no skill at welding stainless.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

That is a very nice door, one of the best I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I too took the 'no weld' option and fabricated my door from aluminium sheet and angle. I left the top so I could stuff it with ceramic fibre and then rivet the strip that forms the curved top last.

The metal part of the door is an inch and a half thick and the wood part of the door is the same.

All up the cost was minimal as it was aluminium from the scrap metal yard, leftover CF blanket material and half a wooden step tread. The handle is wood as well so that part of the door is barely warm.

I am very happy with the performance of the door and it is not particularly heavy with the timber constituting the major part of the weight.

The pictures are the best narrative.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

yes I saw that too, thanks!

He was smart and used rivets. I would have done that if I had thought of it! Instead I struggled a bit with sheet metal crews!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dino,

I just saw this door that looks like no welding needed. But not sure how he did the back plate though.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post157728
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Here's my door post I just added to my thread - re-posting here for relevance!

I finally got around to building a door. I used two pieces of 16 gauge steel front and back, and then some 1 1/2 inch wide steel channel for the sides and floor. For the top piece I used a flat 1 1/2 inch bar that I curved to fit. Inside I put a piece of 1 1/2 inch ceramic fiber board that I had left over from the floor of my oven. My plan was to weld the whole thing closed - but I started using stainless steel sheet metal screws to "tack" it together - and found that they worked so well I may simply keep the screws. I used high temperature caulk to seals the cracks so that none of the insulation will leak out.

After cooking last night I put this door on. This morning, 13 hours later, the temperature of the walls and floor were still 550 degrees! Wow! Without the door I was down to 250 degrees after 12 hours.

Also the insulation in the door seems to work well - I can easily lift the door out with the handles without using gloves. The temperature of the front of the door is about 140 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I didn't think about it and used the same form for both. It is on the list of "next time". Utah, that is a mineralized nautilus sawn in half and polished. There is a one at each end of the counter.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

tscar,

On your door pic it that a fossil in your concrete pour? If so nice touch!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I agree. I wasn't really serious about the angle grinder option. If the outer arch is not bigger than the inner one then access is compromised. If made too much bigger then smoke escape out the front becomes an issue. There is a happy position between the two somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Penny just dropped .... No room for revel. Yep I'd do a 2 piece door before I'd take an angle to the front of an oven like yours... It's to nice to butcher
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Inner and outer arch are the same size.
    Another job for the angle grinder?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied