• Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Show us your Door Thread

Originally posted by di11on View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm looking at how to make my door.

I see some people have used aluminium. I read that the melting point of aluminium is around 660 Celsius. Isn't that a little close to the temps we might get in our ovens? I'm not thinking of using sheet aluminium for the internal surface, but was considering using aluminium rivets.

Any thoughts?
    Find some stainless rivets they are a little harder to pull but mine have held up real well for 2 years now.

Leave a comment:

• di11on
    replied

Hi folks,

I'm looking at how to make my door.

I see some people have used aluminium. I read that the melting point of aluminium is around 660 Celsius. Isn't that a little close to the temps we might get in our ovens? I'm not thinking of using sheet aluminium for the internal surface, but was considering using aluminium rivets.

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I think you want Borosilicate glass. It is pretty easy to find on ebay Borosilicate Glass Plate 150 mm x 150 mm x 5 mm Free Shipping | eBay and there are probably other suppliers too

If you are using a pyrex pot lid - they stopped making that product out of Borosilicate in 1998 and switched to normal glass. So you need to find old stuff at a garage sale because modern pyrex is not heat safe.
    thx Dennis

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

had the same problem with my temp door covered in alfoil. Went to move it and guess what? all that was left was the foil no wood.

Leave a comment:

• pikemonkey
    replied

Just found this thread.
    Some terrific door ideas on here.
    This is the next step to my build.
    Got access to stainless steel, aluminium and good metalworking facilities at work.
    Thinking of an aluminum shell about 3 to 4" depth to encase offcuts of Calsil board and CF blanket.
    Flanged with 19mm fire rope fitted.
    I've got a nice bit of T+G Oak floorboard at home for the front.
    Also got some wrought iron decorative nails - might go for a "techno medievil" door.
    Knocked up a temporary door from some of the formwork last weekend (1st cooking)
    MDF covered in tin foil with some batten screwed on it. Went to pick it up on Monday and the top crumbled in my hand!!

Rambling on, but also just wanted to bump this great thread, so i can find it easily.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Mine is a newer pot lid and seems to work fine... But I only use it for baking (550F) or lower with no live fire. I use it all year and have baked bread when it is -10F outside. No problems so far.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Am looking for tempered glass as we speak no luck yet. But will persist
    I think you want Borosilicate glass. It is pretty easy to find on ebay Borosilicate Glass Plate 150 mm x 150 mm x 5 mm Free Shipping | eBay and there are probably other suppliers too

If you are using a pyrex pot lid - they stopped making that product out of Borosilicate in 1998 and switched to normal glass. So you need to find old stuff at a garage sale because modern pyrex is not heat safe.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey mikku

Am looking for tempered glass as we speak no luck yet. But will persist

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by Rbhumbert View Post
    Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.
    Thanks Rbhumbert, I know what you mean when baking bread even harder when you have no handles, but I have rectified that and door now works a treat. I also have a steel door and follow your method above.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Has anyone ever tried to use the glass from an oven door, or multiple glass from a commercially produced gas or electric oven to make a door for a WFO?

Am wondering if it is tempered making it impossible to cut after the tempering process. Would be really nice to have a full view door for baking times where the view is not distorted.

What did the old ovens in Europe use for doors in bygone days?

Sure is amazing to see the variations of doors members have fabricated to seal their ovens...all real works of art and the result of a lot of thinking! Gotta say "Wow" each time I see the masterpieces!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Wow, coming back to the tread after a few days... I see some great workmanship and ideas going on.

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Rbhumbert
    replied

Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Some more build photos.
    Box spot welded 1.2mm stainless steel, aluminium front plate 4mm, timber panels screwed from back insulated with red fibre washers.
    Insulation calsil left over bits & perlite cement.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied

Originally posted by Rbhumbert View Post
    Thanks, The steel I used for the door is a little heavy duty, but it was what I found laying around. The plan all along was to have the rollers, so weight was not to big of a concern. The door is insulated with ceramic board and it does a decent job of holding in the heat.
    Nice idea with the rollers Rbhumbert, my door weighs in at 15kg (33lbs) so I might try incorporate whilst I carry out some mods.

Here's my door based heavily on Greenmans design.
    Insulated with 50mm calsil board and 50mm perlite render.

I have wooden handles to attach to the brass hex stand-offs but when fitted the door is too deep to angle through front arch without handles jamming, so I need to cut down the hex stand-offs to allow door to clear front arch whilst on an angle.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I don't do jealous but I do admire the workmanship and the resulting granite arch. Gives some of us something to aspire to. Very special.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X